Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-07-2013, 12:53 PM   #1
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
On the fence about a PW

I am so on the fence about getting a Paperwhite. On the one hand, my K3 is perfectly adequate to the task, and I can do some things on it (my notepad app, Calibre-managed collections) that I can't do on a PW. On the other hand.. ooohhh, shiny! and I like the idea of finding out how much longer til the end of the chapter. (just last night, I put up my book in the middle of a chapter, only to find I only had one more page to go in it)

Will the time-to-read function work in non-Amazon books that I've side-loaded? That is, is it a PW function or book-function?

I know I can jailbreak the PW to get the Collections Manager on it, but I'm nervous about trying that - I'm not terribly technical.

On the third hand, my relatively new K3 is developing a crack from the lower right corner of the screen toward the Menu button. My k3 is a replacement for one that developed that crack, and I don't know whether it's something to get exercise about or just get a skin to cover the crack.

so... PW or stick with the K3?
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:54 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
PW. Enormously better. Yes, the reading time function works with any book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2013, 02:35 PM   #3
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
For what it's worth, I'm sticking with my K3 as it does what I need it to do and the small 2 GB storage of the PW really puts me off so it would have needed a guaranteed absolutely perfect, even, screen to make me get it. As it stands, it seems we're still in pot luck territory. And I'm thinking of all the books I can buy with the money I'm not spending on a PW

As for the (in)famous crack on the K3, mine (nearly 26 months old) has had a skin on since day one, so it may or may not be there but since I can't tell, I'm not even going to worry about that!
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:39 PM   #4
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've avoided skins for my k3, since I have a nice cover, and I don't care for the looks of the cut-outs for keys, or the skins that go over the keys.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:52 PM   #5
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

To be honest, the main reason I got a skin was because the logo at the top of the K3 was going to irritate me - for some reason, I have a very strong dislike of branding so whenever possible I remove or hide that on pretty much all my stuff unless it's subtle enough not to annoy me
Advert
Old 01-07-2013, 02:56 PM   #6
BeccaPrice
Wizard

which skin do you have, the regular type or the nokey type?
Old 01-07-2013, 03:06 PM   #7
Yolina
Wizard

A matte/satin one from Decalgirl with the cut-outs for all the keys
Old 01-07-2013, 03:57 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolina View Post
For what it's worth, I'm sticking with my K3 as it does what I need it to do and the small 2 GB storage of the PW really puts me off ...
I would not be too concerned with the size of the PW's memory. I currently have 530 books on my PW, many of them large omnibus editions, and my PW's memory is considerably less than half full. At the rate I read books, I could store something in excess of 10 years' reading on my PW, which personally I'd consider to be entirely acceptable.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:19 PM   #9
Quelch
Groupie
Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch and iPad 4 hers, Samsung Galaxy S 8.4 mine !
I went through a similar process looking at all the options
Chose to go with the Nexus 7 tablet instead as I can choose to use the Kindle app or any other reader app I wish
Plus I can read comics on it, at the moment have vintage Popeye comic and in colour !

Happy with the Nexus 7 and suprised that I don't get eyestrain with it, I use the sepia setting in the readers

I came very close to getting a PW though
Best of luck in your decision making !
Quelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:25 PM   #10
BeccaPrice
Wizard

I've been looking at the Nexus 7, but right now it's just too expensive. I've got a $50 gift card I can put toward a PW, which bring s the cost down to about $70, v. $200-maybe for a tablet.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:53 PM   #11
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I've got my wifi only, ad-free Kindle Keyboard in a nokey skin, which I selected due to the fading keys. It looks very nice. I don't like skins that much, I'm not good at putting them on. I do have 3 devices with them, though!

I know with my Sony I can put over 1000 books on it, and it has 2GB internal. That's definitely more than a year's worth, even though a lot are novellas. So the 2GB on the Paperwhite did not hold me back from purchasing it, although I had hoped for more, not less, space. It's plenty to load an entire year's worth of to-be-read books. The Paperwhite is fantastic, I just love the light.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:29 PM   #12
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
My K3 was still working perfectly fine. Didn't keep me from getting a PW. I think I wanted the light for dreary situations and at night. I never liked book lights and kept leaning towards the reading lamp on the sofa until my arm and neck hurt.

I didn't regret it. I still use my K3, many times to put the library loans on it and turn off wifi in case I run out of time.

My K3 also has a crack. Lower right corner. It came up months into owning it and I put a back wood grain matte skin over it. Haven't seen the crack since and it never affected its performance. The crack has been there for 2 years now.

I am not a fan of skins and wouldn't have put that one on, had the crack not driven me crazy. But because the skin is the color of the device, it looks fine and blends in. Plus I didn't have to go crazy lining up the skin over the buttons like a lunatic. . Crooked skin would have driven me nuts just like the crack.

The memory has not been an issue with my PW. I love the interface and its so much faster than my K3. Everything is faster. And its shiny
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:35 PM   #13
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
I bought the PW only for the light, as well as for the increased resolution. Wasn't too happy with 800x600 pix of the older readers.

But even with the PW's increased resolution of an unknown amount of pixels, PDF text still seems very small.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:53 PM   #14
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
I agree with HarryT - it is enormously better. As a former Touch user I am very happy with the upgrade. The more I use it the more pleased I am.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:59 PM   #15
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
I've moved from the Nook world to the Amazon world with this device. It's just technologically better than anything out there right now.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote