Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-23-2012, 04:38 PM   #1
genfind
genfind began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Page Breaks etc

Hi Everyone - I am new to this Kindle thing and so I hope that I am posting in the right place !
I have scanned a very old book which is falling apart and want to preserve and so what better way than to store it on a Kindle. For all who want to know it is an old family bible which is now a couple of hundred years old.
I have scanned the whole book in OCR mode to HTML using ABBYY Finereader Professional 11 and I now have a whole bunch of HTML files.
I can use Sigil etc to build the book which may I add is just great and in Sigil it actually gives me the layout I need. Like a normal book it reads from the top to the bottom of the page and then you click on the file that contains the next page and so on.
However, no matter what I try (Even in Mobipocket or Calibre) every conversion just shows my first page and then rolls straight into the second one without a new page being created. Can anyone help. Do I have to create a page break or something and if so how do I go about it. As I say in Sigil it looks great and so I save it to an E-Pub file. I then drag the E-Pub file into Calibre and instruct Calibre to convert it into Mobi format for my Kindle. Yes, it does the job but as I say when reading it afterwards I do not get the seperate pages which show in Sigil. HEELLLLPPPP """ !!! Very frustrated !

Anthony
genfind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:53 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Pages shouldn't matter in a bible. To get a pagebreak in a mobi file, you have to use the special html tag: <mbpagebreak/>

Edited to add:
If it is a bible, there are already bibles available in Kindle format. Yours should not be any different, unless it is some kind of odd version, instead of King James, etc.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2012, 10:44 PM   #3
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
You are sure that the HTML files are text and not pictures?

What happens if you try to view the books as epubs from within Calibre?
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:15 AM   #4
genfind

Page breaks

Hi - Wow thanks for your very kind reply.
For my own personal reasons I would like to keep the pages separated as per the bible and by doing so will make me persist in sorting this issue out for further publications that I may undertake.
Anyway, all of the files are in text and not pictures and view perfectly in Sigil but as we know Sigil does not export to mobi only e-pub
I will try that suggestion, however where do I enter that code. Do I have to edit every single HTML page in an editor with that code at the end of every page or something ?
If I add my saved e-pub file to Calibre, I can convert to mobi but it does not give me a separate page for example : Page 1 displays fine but you have to scroll down to see page two right under where page 1 ends which I don`t want as it is rather messy.
If you have any other ideas of where I am going wrong please tell me or if you think your suggestion will cure my problem then I will of course give this a go. It really is a rather tedious way of doing it though as I would have thought that although each and every page was OCR scanned from book to HTML that each file would be recognised as a separate page in whatever program converts it into the desired format but obviously not lol !
Thanks again
Anthony
Old 02-24-2012, 06:39 AM   #5
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by genfind View Post
If I add my saved e-pub file to Calibre, I can convert to mobi but it does not give me a separate page for example : Page 1 displays fine but you have to scroll down to see page two right under where page 1 ends which I don`t want as it is rather messy.
Scroll down?
Have you tested the Mobi file in anything other than the calibre viewer?
Say, Kindle for PC, Mobipocket, Coolreader, or a reader gadget?
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2012, 09:14 AM   #6
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by genfind View Post
... I do not get the seperate pages which show in Sigil. HEELLLLPPPP """ !!! Very frustrated ! ...
First off, there is no such thing as a "page" in a true ebook (MOBI, ePub, ...).

A basic ebook is just one long flow of text and illustrations. There are ways to cause the ereader software to start a new screen of text. This is somewhat simulating the experience of reading a bound book (codex) and encountering the start of a new chapter. These are termed variously as "chapter breaks" or "page breaks".

In epub files you create such breaks by starting a new XHTML file. With MOBI files there is an embedded tag that indicates the start of a new section. The trick with converting an ePub to MOBI with calibre is to start each section with something that calibre will recognize as an indication that it needs to insert a pagebreak tag.

There are a number of things calibre senses by default and this can be customized on the "Look and Feel" tab in the conversion dialog. You need to add something to the text that calibre senses to get it to insert the "pagebreak" during conversion.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:20 PM   #7
genfind

Page Break

Hi - Thanks for such great advice although I now have the Kindle viewer in Calibre working like a charm. On importing the resulting file into the Kindle just to see if it works it does !! Waheey and thanks to that tiny little piece of code that was posted here lol !!!
The only problem I have right now is creating a gap in between two sentences. I don`t know if this is called a `line break` or something but I really need some idea of the code to use and where to place it as I have googled some suggestions but everytime I copy the code into Mobipocket and re-build the book they have literally no effect and so I have to go back in and set the document as it was originally.
Any ideas would be great. Thanks for everything so far though - you guys are teaching me well Lol !!