Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-09-2011, 04:20 PM   #1
LarpSarpLo
LarpSarpLo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch and Kindle Touch
Remove Ads from the special offers edition?

Hi all,

I read some threads that people are able to hack in Kobo Touch. Just wondering if the Ads can be removed from the Special Offers edition? If yes, can someone kindly show how to do so step by step?

I didn't feel the ads that annoying initially, but I do now.

Thanks!!

Larp
LarpSarpLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:15 PM   #2
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
No there is not.

Last edited by The Terminator; 12-09-2011 at 08:55 PM.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2011, 06:34 PM   #3
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarpSarpLo View Post
I didn't feel the ads that annoying initially, but I do now.
There is a wallet hack that works. Take back the special offers Touch and buy a regular Touch at the regular price .
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:52 PM   #4
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is it like the Kindle with special offers? Like if you wanted to pay the $30 bucks to get the adds removed?
Old 12-09-2011, 07:00 PM   #5
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

They don't have that offer on the Kobo with special offers (at least not yet--who knows what the future will bring). You get the discount; you get the ads.
Advert
Old 12-09-2011, 07:16 PM   #6
m_bisson
Groupie
m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.

Device: kobo touch :)
Flash the firmware with the real version muahahaahahaha
m_bisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:21 PM   #7
taming
Trying for calm & polite

I'm pretty sure that a firmware flash will not do it. There are folders/files on the Kobo that are outside of the firmware that cannot be updated in this way. Someone with a good handle on linux and the desire to do this sort of thing could, no doubt, figure it out.

From my very narrow minded perspective, that is less than ethical. The person bought a device with ads, and got a reduced price in exchange. If it was a bad decision, the remedy is to exchange the device and pay for the ad free experience.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:52 PM   #8
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I'm pretty sure that a firmware flash will not do it. There are folders/files on the Kobo that are outside of the firmware that cannot be updated in this way. Someone with a good handle on linux and the desire to do this sort of thing could, no doubt, figure it out.

From my very narrow minded perspective, that is less than ethical. The person bought a device with ads, and got a reduced price in exchange. If it was a bad decision, the remedy is to exchange the device and pay for the ad free experience.
I'd have to agree.. You paid less for a device that will show ads and not exactly 'in your face' either.. They only appear when the KT is sleeping or off..

I wonder how the advertisers know that their ad is being viewed? Maybe it updates a view-time counter at a server when it connects via Desktop or Wifi.
Xennex1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:56 PM   #9
The Terminator
Retired

Just take it back and see if you can exchange it for a gift card and then use the gift card + $30 for one that doesn't have SO.
Old 12-10-2011, 02:00 AM   #10
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
I don't see any problem here. A company sold you a product with ads for a discount. When you received the product it came with ads. Fair transaction. Now the product belongs to you and you should be able to do whatever you like with it. I don't have the first clue about removing ads but I wish you luck!
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 05:36 AM   #11
GoingDown
Zealot
GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Touch
I don't think it is easily possible. If Kobo has done it properly (meaning it is hardcoded inside nickel, their frontend application) you need to hack that application.

One way could be that (on rooted device) one would replace all advertisement pictures/pages by reference to /dev/null...
GoingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:36 PM   #12
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingDown View Post
I don't think it is easily possible. If Kobo has done it properly (meaning it is hardcoded inside nickel, their frontend application) you need to hack that application.

One way could be that (on rooted device) one would replace all advertisement pictures/pages by reference to /dev/null...
I seem to recall seeing somewhere that the SO version serial numbers are registered. so, any time you connect to the Kobo servers, I suspect that ads are updated and there is a check to ensure the ads are running. I also suspect that the serial number is very difficult to hack.
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:38 AM   #13
r.bares
r.bares once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.r.bares once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.r.bares once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.r.bares once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.r.bares once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.r.bares once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.r.bares once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.r.bares once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.r.bares once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.r.bares once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.r.bares once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Now the product belongs to you and you should be able to do whatever you like with it.
You have every right to do whatever you like with it, within the agreement you accepted. You are licensed to use the device, and (specifically in this case) the software on the device, as regulated by the agreement. If you breach that license, then you have no right to use the software. That is the problem.

From an ethical perspective its really quite obvious why this should be frowned upon, Kobo have provided a discount in exchange for showing advertising on an ongoing basis, not merely to sell the product with advertising in the first instance. If you accept this discount and then remove yourself from their advertising-base, you are harming their bottom line, and in my opinion it is broadly equivalent to theft, the taking of something which is not yours and you have no right to take.

That is not to say that I think people who want to do this are "bad people", but this is certainly not something which should be condoned.
r.bares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:20 AM   #14
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
Originally Posted by r.bares View Post
You have every right to do whatever you like with it, within the agreement you accepted. You are licensed to use the device, and (specifically in this case) the software on the device, as regulated by the agreement. If you breach that license, then you have no right to use the software. That is the problem.
In that case, all hacking on the KTouch is problematic.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:34 AM   #15
46jimbo
Zealot
46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: Kobo Touch + Kobo Aura
Would simply turning off the wifi stop the adds?
46jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote