Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-22-2009, 04:31 AM   #1
Martin Marcel
Martin Marcel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX ?
Kindle DX Mobi or else ?

Hello everyone !

I have a question concerning my (future) device - Kindle DX. Since I am not from US (Central Europe), but having a Kinlde DX in near future, I would appreciate if You guys could help me out with two things :

1. If I convert a (text-based) pdf file into a MOBI ore another format supported by Kindle by myself, will it be possible to use the options that are not available for pdf ? I mean especially : changing font size, marking, highlighting etc..

2. Is it possible to convert files into the Amazon format without Amazon, that is to AZW ?

Thank You and forgive me if I ask something trivial, as I am a newbie.. Bye !!
Martin Marcel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:33 AM   #2
dwallbaum
Zealot
dwallbaum has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle2
Ping to raise this to the top of the queue again, since no one has answered.

I guess my first question is, is it possible to use another format other than PDF to convert?

I have used the Amazon Word conversion service a massive one time, and it seemed to work properly.

There ARE some tools that will decompile PDFs, so maybe if you backed out of PDFs to a word processing format of somekind, then went through Amazon to have the document converted to AZW format?

Speculation here, I have not tried this... in short, I don't know an answer to your question.

Don
dwallbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:40 AM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Marcel View Post
1. If I convert a (text-based) pdf file into a MOBI ore another format supported by Kindle by myself, will it be possible to use the options that are not available for pdf ? I mean especially : changing font size, marking, highlighting etc..
I don't have a DX, but it should behave like any other Mobi/AZW file.

Quote:
2. Is it possible to convert files into the Amazon format without Amazon, that is to AZW ?
AZW is Mobi format for all intents and purposes. If you want them to be AZW files for some reason just change the extension from .prc or .mobi to .azw
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:47 AM   #4
bloovis
bloovis began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Centro
The free Calibre program at http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/ should be able to do the conversions you need.
bloovis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle dx convertion