Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 10-28-2011, 10:28 AM   #1
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
First Impressions

Got two from Best Buy (for gifts but I'm SURE they will want them set up).

It's very pretty, quilted back has a nice feel (had to buy a $45 plastic back cover for my iPad to make me think that it would not scratch my wood furniture), moderately heavy.

Very nice packaging, even nicer than KW or KT. Box comes with
* Vox
* micro USB cable
* strangest AC adapter I've ever seen (hard-wired micro USB, and the two-prong part that plugs into the wall comes disconnected; to allow other AC prongs to be attached?)

I can't find a quick-start card though there are several pieces of documentation.

I plugged via USB to my computer. The screen says
USB Mass Storage
(Android robot image)
USB Connected
You have connected your tablet to your computer via USB. Select the button below if you want to copy files between your computer and your Android's SD card.
(and a soft button that says) Turn on USB storage

So - it doesn't appear to charge via this mechanism as there are no other lights or messages and no option to cancel.

Need to read manual so I can use this thing.

Edit: OK after R-ingTFM I plug it in using wall charger and update via WiFi. The screen provides step-by-step instructions. Turns out what looks like a glossy manual is the quick start card. It's now downloading the update.

Last edited by dmacmart; 10-28-2011 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Next step
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:50 AM   #2
RoxyJ
Junior Book Zombie
RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle 3, iPhone, ipad
Manual said that you can charge only through the wall plug provided

Any luck loading the Kindle app?

Last edited by RoxyJ; 10-28-2011 at 11:11 AM.
RoxyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:13 AM   #3
friktion
Zealot
friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Sony 700, Kindle 3Wi-Fi, Skytex Primer 7", Kindle Fire
Yes- isn't that strange? I couldn't get off the main screen until I had unplugged the USB from my computer and plugged the Vox into the wall ...

It has to search for my WiFi and tells me to pick a Wifi ... (I have my own at home). Is there a certain one for Bell? I understood that you could have unlimited Bell Wifi, and I don't see their connection in my options - so for now, I'm going to connect to my own.
friktion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:15 AM   #4
friktion
Zealot
friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

BTW, it doesn't fit into my old Kindle 3 case (case too small). It also is a touch too small for my other case (7" Skytex Primer case).
Old 10-28-2011, 11:19 AM   #5
Lordvic
Connoisseur
Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.

Device: Blackberry Playbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by friktion View Post
Yes- isn't that strange? I couldn't get off the main screen until I had unplugged the USB from my computer and plugged the Vox into the wall ...

It has to search for my WiFi and tells me to pick a Wifi ... (I have my own at home). Is there a certain one for Bell? I understood that you could have unlimited Bell Wifi, and I don't see their connection in my options - so for now, I'm going to connect to my own.
Not sure where you got thata impression.

Bell doesn't really have WiFi. they have cellular based services. The Kobo does NOT have an antenna to use those however. you must use a local Wi Fi.
Lordvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:24 AM   #6
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by friktion View Post

what they mean by the unlimited bell wifi is the wifi service you get in most starbucks, which is provided by Bell. IT's actually free to anyone and any device, but of course it looks good when added to the package
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:26 AM   #7
friktion
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordvic View Post
Not sure where you got thata impression.

Bell doesn't really have WiFi. they have cellular based services. The Kobo does NOT have an antenna to use those however. you must use a local Wi Fi.
Actually, where I live, Bell does have internet services (and wifi). (I live in Quebec.) And I got the idea from a review online describing the new Vox.

But in the end, it doesn't matter to me - I'm connected at home now ...
Old 10-28-2011, 11:27 AM   #8
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I set the timezone, date/time automatically populated. Turning on brings the Kobo application. The home button (one of three "buttons" which are touch-sensetive areas in the bezel) takes you to Kobo home. A few icons on bottom of that screen (read, library, shop, reading life) - and "All Apps" to get to the expected Android home page (well I expect it, but I've never used Android I have iPhone/iPad. looks like a screen of start icons.)

Get Apps icon takes you to http://kobo.getjar.com

Kindle app is not in that store (at least I couldn't find it). There are lots of free apps.

Now - does sideloading require an SD card as implied when you plug into your computer?
Old 10-28-2011, 11:42 AM   #9
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacmart View Post

Now - does sideloading require an SD card as implied when you plug into your computer?
When you go into "Settings", then "Applications", is there a box to check "Unknown sources" (Allow installation of non-Market applications)?
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:44 AM   #10
dmacmart
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
When you go into "Settings", then "Applications", is there a box to check "Unknown sources" (Allow installation of non-Market applications)?
Yes there is.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:48 AM   #11
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacmart View Post
Yes there is.
That's great! You should be able to download a file explorer from the app market. Astro is common and will suffice. Transfer your app file to the device. You can create a folder if you want. Find it in the file explorer (Astro), then click on it. Should install.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:48 AM   #12
friktion
Zealot

Lovely Mine just froze trying to load their cupcake recipe book. Not impressed. BTW, how did you get to the "settings, applications"? I'm going to reboot and get into the "get apps" - if I can reboot ...
Old 10-28-2011, 11:56 AM   #13
dmacmart
Fanatic

So far no freezing or other misbehaviour. Except difficulty with getting an underscore on the keyboard.

To get settings: touch the home button on the bottom bezel, then "All Apps" icon. Settings is on the bottom row.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:58 AM   #14
friktion
Zealot

Thank you - still waiting to try to get it to boot up again. Do you need to hold (continuously) the on/off button to start/close it? (Sorry, I'm used to my Kindle)
Old 10-28-2011, 12:01 PM   #15
dmacmart
Fanatic

No a simple tap on the power button to turn on/off. The left swipe to unlock took me a few minutes to figure out though!

(hope you don't have a lemon)

Oops - now I do seem to have an issue. Won't turn on. No paperclip hole. D'oh.