Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-26-2010, 08:02 PM   #1
Nanner
Nanner began at the beginning.

Device: none
My Kindle is Gone.... how do I

My kindle is gone. I put it in my bag before work this morning and my bag sat at my desk all day. When I left work, it was not in the bag. I went back to my desk and looked everywhere. It isn't there. The only things would be that (i) it fell out of my bag and then got knocked out of the car when husband dropped me off at work this morning; or (ii) someone took it from my bag while waiting in line for coffee.

Anyway, what I am asking... what, other removing my credit card info from my amazon account, do I need to do? Can I de-register it from my name somehow?

What happens to all the kindle books I bought? Can I still read those on my iphone, using the kindle app?

And if I buy another kindle at some point - I'm in Canada, and we can't get them here right now - can I access those books again on a replacement?

Thanks.
Nanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 08:10 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Hopefully the Karma will rebound on the person that took it.

Now.......Call Kindle Cs.........and report it immediately.

They will disable your account so that no one else can access it.

Ask them the other questions yourself, they can tell you the answers.

E-mail: kindle-cs-support@amazon.com
Phone: within the U.S.: 1-866-321-8851 (toll free)
outside the U.S.: 1-206-266-0927 (charges will apply

If this is not the proper number, ask them to transfer you.

Good luck.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 08:44 PM   #3
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
There's actually no need to change info on your account, such as your credit card number -- the Kindle has no access to that. All you need to do is deregister it from http://amazon.com/manageyourkindle. I would also call customer service and report it as stolen -- maybe they can put it on a blacklist.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 08:48 PM   #4
Nanner

thanks. I had already removed my credit card info as soon as I checked everywhere it could have been. I've now de-registered it to.

Now I'm going to have to wait until we can buy them in Canada again and who knows how long that will be.

Or.... does anybody know.... if I buy one and have it shipped to my in-laws' U.S. address, can I use it up here - i.e. put books on it bought with a Canadian credit card with a Canadian billing address?
Old 11-26-2010, 11:15 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanner View Post
if I buy one and have it shipped to my in-laws' U.S. address, can I use it up here - i.e. put books on it bought with a Canadian credit card with a Canadian billing address?
Yes. See Canadian vs US version of Kindle 3?
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 12:21 AM   #6
Nanner

Thanks, everyone.
Old 11-27-2010, 05:00 PM   #7
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
did you call amazon and let them know it was lost/stolen?

Quote:
thanks. I had already removed my credit card info as soon as I checked everywhere it could have been. I've now de-registered it to.

Now I'm going to have to wait until we can buy them in Canada again and who knows how long that will be.

Or.... does anybody know.... if I buy one and have it shipped to my in-laws' U.S. address, can I use it up here - i.e. put books on it bought with a Canadian credit card with a Canadian billing address?
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:50 PM   #8
Nanner

I did let Amazon know that it was lost or stolen. The fellow I spoke with, however, sounded a little bit out of it, so I am not sure if it's been noted.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:56 PM   #9
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Nanner, I am so sorry to hear about your bad day! The Kindle books that you bought from Amazon should be stored on your "Manage Your Kindle" account page. Also, you should be able to read them using the Kindle app on your iPhone. When you get your new Kindle, you can register it to your same Amazon account and should be able to download all of your ebooks again.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:24 AM   #10
Nanner

Well, it never showed up. As I said, i'm in Canada, so we can't buy kindles right now. But a girl I work with was given one and she doesn't like to read, so I bought it off her.

I have a kindle again, and all my books showed up. I'm happy (even though I'm out the cost).

Thanks for your advice (and your sympathy!)
Old 12-03-2010, 10:10 AM   #11
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Call Amazon and tell them that you want your Kindle bricked. Explain what happened to them and then provide the info they ask you for.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:08 AM   #12
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Well, it never showed up. As I said, i'm in Canada, so we can't buy kindles right now. But a girl I work with was given one and she doesn't like to read, so I bought it off her.

I have a kindle again, and all my books showed up. I'm happy (even though I'm out the cost).

Thanks for your advice (and your sympathy!)
Sorry to hear about that! At least you've got another Kindle and your books back.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:26 PM   #13
Nanner

Do I not need the serial number off of my old one to call them? I don't have it, and I de-registered it as soon as I realized it was gone.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:36 PM   #14
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Nope they will have all that info.

When my Mom's was stolen I called in and was able to ID her Kindle answering the questions they asked me.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote