Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-30-2008, 10:35 AM   #106
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
....pffft....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:52 AM   #107
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
"Hugo, I'm cold."

"Yes, Lefty, that happens when the temperature drops."

"I might just be a simple sock, but I can recognize sarcasm. What's wrong?"

"Sorry, Lefty. I quit smoking, and these damn nicotine patches don't stick to wool. And don't tell me to chew gum. Socks can't very well chew gum."

"Hugo? I'm cold."

"What do you want me to do about it?"

"Curl up with me."

"Aren't you getting a bit too old for that? Seriously, there comes a time when socks go their separate ways. Different laundry baskets. Spend time finding yourself behind the dryer."

"What? What are you saying?"

"Find a nice glof club and see the world."

"Hugo?"

"I've had it, Lefty. I'm done. You can stay with Zelda and the cats and count shums if you want. In fact you should. I'm hitching a ride to Taylor's. I'm going to steal his guitar and hitchhike the US. I'm going to find Bernice, that leg warmer, and we're going to..."

"Hugo?"

"What, Lefty, what?"

"You can't play guitar. You don't have any fingers."

"..."

"Hugo? Are you cold?"

"Yeah."

"Let's curl up."

"...ok. Thanks, bro."
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2008, 10:55 AM   #108
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
aw !

i feel for ya, hugo, sometimes i get cranky because i want a cigarette too. don't give up, it gets easier. curling up with lefty should help too. and you'll be warmer.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 11:01 AM   #109
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Today it hasn't got warm enough to melt the frost on the north facing garden, or the shed roof, which is in the south facing one
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 08:45 PM   #110
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Yesterday we got to 33C, but overnight (actually, this morning, just after the sun came up) the mercury plunged like a drunk stumbling from a pub down to a cool 24C (apparent temperature 27C). By 9am this morning it was 34C, but the humidity is quite low (it was 31% at 9am, but has come up a little bit since then) so it doesn't feel quite as warm as it would otherwise.

Saturday a southerly is expected through, which is estimating a maximum temperature of only 24C, so I might have to get my ugg boots out. The pool is at about 27-28C, and the sea temperature at only 24C (odd, I thought it would be a bit higher by now. Perhaps the warm currents are yet to fully make it down this way?).

My constant white noise is currently the ticking and spinning of ceiling fans. It's kind of nice, but it makes one try to remember what silence sounds like.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2008, 09:34 PM   #111
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
Yesterday we got to 33C, but overnight (actually, this morning, just after the sun came up) the mercury plunged like a drunk stumbling from a pub down to a cool 24C (apparent temperature 27C). By 9am this morning it was 34C, but the humidity is quite low (it was 31% at 9am, but has come up a little bit since then) so it doesn't feel quite as warm as it would otherwise.

Saturday a southerly is expected through, which is estimating a maximum temperature of only 24C, so I might have to get my ugg boots out. The pool is at about 27-28C, and the sea temperature at only 24C (odd, I thought it would be a bit higher by now. Perhaps the warm currents are yet to fully make it down this way?).

My constant white noise is currently the ticking and spinning of ceiling fans. It's kind of nice, but it makes one try to remember what silence sounds like.

Cheers,
Marc
Sweat.....
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:56 PM   #112
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Sweat.....
At first I thought that, by the above, you may have allowed your sub-conscious reign over your conscious, and inadvertently used an "a" instead of an "e", but then I considered that previous observations gave low probability to your use of the single-word exclamation, "Sweet", and that my assumption of error by one such as yourself was rather obnoxious thus making me feel compelled to offer my apologies.

My second thought was that you were making a rather succinct observation about our meteorological conditions - observations based on your own experience - and their most obvious effect on one's physiological processes. This seemed quite reasonable, and an appropriate brevity to my needless loquacity.

However, my third thought was that you were, actually, completing my thought on the sound of silence by responding that the sound of silence is the sound of sweat. This phrase's invention tickled my fancy rather enthusiastically, and I enjoyed its poetic observation so thoroughly that I will undoubtedly, either consciously or sub-consciously, totally plagiarise it at a later date. Kudos and thanks, RSE! [tipping my fedora to you ]

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:51 PM   #113
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
This was just outside our room at the hotel over Christmas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SleepyTimeDownSouth.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	20139  
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 07:30 AM   #114
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
At first I thought that, by the above, you may have allowed your sub-conscious reign over your conscious, and inadvertently used an "a" instead of an "e", but then I considered that previous observations gave low probability to your use of the single-word exclamation, "Sweet", and that my assumption of error by one such as yourself was rather obnoxious thus making me feel compelled to offer my apologies.

My second thought was that you were making a rather succinct observation about our meteorological conditions - observations based on your own experience - and their most obvious effect on one's physiological processes. This seemed quite reasonable, and an appropriate brevity to my needless loquacity.

However, my third thought was that you were, actually, completing my thought on the sound of silence by responding that the sound of silence is the sound of sweat. This phrase's invention tickled my fancy rather enthusiastically, and I enjoyed its poetic observation so thoroughly that I will undoubtedly, either consciously or sub-consciously, totally plagiarise it at a later date. Kudos and thanks, RSE! [tipping my fedora to you ]

Cheers,
Marc
magistral reply ! nobody extrapolates like you do...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 08:39 AM   #115
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
This was just outside our room at the hotel over Christmas.
Was your room the only one singled out for this honor? Or did other rooms get "It's sleepy time in the mountains" or "It's sleepy time in the great white north"?

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:03 AM   #116
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:

Cheers,
Marc
I was implying both 2 and three. And here's a Red couplet from Simon and Garfunkel's Sounds of Silence

And the people flopped and lazed,
In the sea of sweat they raised...

Last edited by Greg Anos; 12-31-2008 at 09:08 AM.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 11:28 PM   #117
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
another great la day, temps in the 60s with a few clouds, anyone for surfing?
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 02:21 AM   #118
Harry001
Addict
Harry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enough

Device: palmone lifedrive+sonyreader 505+NookColor+HPTouchpad \32GB+NookSimple
right now we have minus 8 C - wit windshill minus 18 in new york city

keep warm

harry
Harry001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 09:28 PM   #119
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Snow again yesterday. Supposed to get more tomorrow. Longing for spring.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 09:32 PM   #120
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Temps today in the low 70's, reminding me why we live in Arizona.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clouds and lightning and, hugo and lefty