Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-18-2014, 02:36 PM   #1
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Dropbox suddenly crashes experimental browser

So I use Calibre plus Dropbox to keep my ebook collection online. Sometimes, when I'm away from home or lazy, I download a title to my PW2 directly from Dropbox via the browser.

Suddenly, I can't access Dropbox at all from the browser -- it just crashes every time. Sometimes I get the login page, sometimes not, but I can never make it farther than that. I tried clearing cookies and history or whatever option the browser settings offer (I'm away from wifi right now).

Other sites still work fine. Anyone have any ideas?
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 10:34 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Are you trying the mobile site or the regular one?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2014, 02:43 AM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Well, I've tried both the regular site and the mobile one. Both crash horribly. So do both sites when I use the skipstone browser (hack) which is almost always a solution for sites crashing.

It bewildered the heck out of me, and I haven't found a solution, weeks later.

I should probably complain to Dropbox about it, but I only wanted it a couple times and it didn't seem worth it.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 01:18 PM   #4
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Are you trying the mobile site or the regular one?
I've tried both. Same result. No other site I've tried seems to have this problem.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:24 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)

It appears the midori browser (hack) can load Dropbox properly. And now I am reminded of why I hate the midori bundle -- it is horribly slow to compensate for the way it is extremely stable.

It works, I guess, in a pinch.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2014, 01:25 AM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I don't think Amazon has changed anything, and that's the problem. Web sites are moving to newer designs and Experimental Browser can't handle some of these. Amazon.com's Manage Your Content and Devices doesn't work, either (Manage Your Kindle used to work). I've never been able to login to OneDrive (SkyDrive). Seems to be more Experimental than ever.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:00 PM   #7
whitearrow
Guru

Eh, it's too bad. I liked having that capability. My tablet has USB host, so I guess I can always download a file there and transfer it to Kindle via USB when I'm away from my laptop.
Old 08-01-2014, 01:57 PM   #8
mattyb
mattyb began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 2
Started having this issue recently on my Paperwhite. I also tried using a "shared by link" folder on Google Drive. That loads the list of items in the folder, but won't download the files to the Paperwhite.

The only workaround for the paperwhite I've found is to download via my android phone and save it on the kindle via USB. When travelling, I now just download the calibre papers to my phone or Nexus 7 from the Dropbox app, and read in the Kindle app. That rather defeats the purpose of having a kindle now doesn't it! Guess my kindle is obsolete

Sigh...
mattyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:47 PM   #9
whitearrow
Guru

Okay. I just submitted a request to Dropbox. Let's see what they say. I really miss this capability a lot.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:38 AM   #10
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think I've been able to download from Amazon Cloud Drive in the past. If you have a 3G Paperwhite, that confers the advantage of free download over 3G connection. Yep, just checked that again and it works pretty decent, all things considered.

OneDrive seems to still not work: cannot login.

Calibre server has always worked for me in the past but I haven't tried it of late.

Last edited by tomsem; 08-20-2014 at 03:44 AM.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:30 PM   #11
whitearrow
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I think I've been able to download from Amazon Cloud Drive in the past.
Hrm, in the browser? If you put an ebook in your cloud drive, does it also show in the "cloud" part of the Kindle itself?
Old 08-20-2014, 05:31 PM   #12
whitearrow
Guru

I heard back from Dropbox. The tech asked me for my current Kindle version, and a few questions like whether there were alternate browsers, and told her no, not without jailbreaking. I will see what I hear back.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:28 AM   #13
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post
Hrm, in the browser? If you put an ebook in your cloud drive, does it also show in the "cloud" part of the Kindle itself?
Well, yes and no. Cloud Drive contains a folder called 'My Send-To-Kindle Docs'. These are managed as part of your Kindle library, and will show up as such.

But you can also upload files directly to amazon.com/clouddrive and organize them into folders. Total free storage is 10GB per account. I have a number of third party books that are larger than 50MB (the send to kindle limit) and I can upload them there and download them to my PW with the experimental browser, including over 3G if I'm patient enough (you have to keep the browser session open until it is done or download in progress will stop). No sync but it is at least an alternative to wires.
Old 10-06-2014, 02:36 PM   #14
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post
I heard back from Dropbox. The tech asked me for my current Kindle version, and a few questions like whether there were alternate browsers, and told her no, not without jailbreaking. I will see what I hear back.
So did you ever hear back whitearrow?
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 06:37 PM   #15
whitearrow
Guru

Nope, nothing substantive. Unfortunately this appears to be the state of things, which really bothers me. I haven't found a viable alternative that doesn't require more software installed on my PC and running all the time, I can't figure out for the life of me how to use Calibre as a server I can see outside my network, so basically, I'm bummed.