Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-29-2013, 06:47 AM   #496
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo X61, Samsung Galaxy Note with Aldiko reader app
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I could tell you, but then ...

It was a reply in the beta group.
Ah, okay! I'd done a search and couldn't find it, that's all. Thanks for the insider information!
Peakcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:47 PM   #497
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Has anyone else tested? I've got 2.5.1 on my Touch and Glo. I tried to get the Touch to go into the high drain mode last night with no success. I don't want to be premature, but maybe they already rolled in the fix?
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2013, 05:10 PM   #498
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetElvis View Post
Having ongoing issues with rapid battery depletion.

Returned a Glo purchased at Christmas due to this issue. Got a replacement, updated the firmware, and am again having problems. I might add that the sideloaded books on this device cause NO issues on my PRS-T1, nor my GF's Touch.

Here's a calendar of results:

- Fully charged reader on Jan 25 at 6:00 PM and put to sleep. Wireless is off.
- Jan 26 9:00 am 72%
- Jan 27 9:00 am 46%
- Jan 28 4:00 am – Please recharge...
- Jan 28 3:45 pm. Factory reset. Wireless off. Installed a free Kobo ebook (The -Jungle). Went to page 1 of the book and put the device to sleep.
- Jan 29 3:49 am – 96%
- Jan 30 3:54 am – 96%
No issues with this book from Kobo..

- Jan 30 3:00 pm – 96%. Recharged and sideloaded epub w/Calibre
- Jan 31 3:55 am - 100%. Loaded 3 more epubs w/Calibre
- Feb 1 4:00 am – 100%
- Feb 5 1:00 pm – Dead. Charged Touch and put same book on it as test. Changed to a different book then put to sleep
- Feb 6 4:00 am – 91%
- Feb 6 2:38 pm – Glo at 63%. Touch still at 100% after an hour of reading with same book.

It seems evident to me that this unit is having an issue with sideloaded epubs. Note that the same book on the Touch at the same time exhibited no issues. As well, there was NO reading done during this time with the Glo. It sat on a desk, and was only turned on to check battery life.

I'm at my wit's end. This is our 3rd Kobo, and we've had zero issues with the Kobo Wireless and Touch.

Battery issues seem to be a problem with some people, based on other threads. Any ideas as to what I should do? Maybe install an older firmware? Or just contact Kobo, again? Right now, it's a $130 paperweight.

UPDATE: April 20/13
It's been pretty solidly determined (by forum users and not Kobo) that any material touching the screen when the device is put to sleep, will cause screen sensors to remain active, and rapidly deplete the battery. This can be caused (as in my case) by something as innocuous as a pocket flap inside the cover sagging and brushing the screen when closed.

Firmware rev. 2.5 has been released, but in keeping with Kobo's policy of not publishing a changelog, at this point I have no idea whether or not the battery issue was addressed. One reader seems to thing perhaps it is, but we'll definitely need more evidence. Or better still, some input from Kobo.

So, until we hear conclusively whether this fixes the problem, when you
put your device to sleep, wait (a) until the cover graphic appears (according to some), or (b) by some others, including myself, wait about 30 seconds or so before letting anything touch the screen during sleep mode. A less optimal solution would be to power off completely.
Have this issue with a touch. And Noticed since 2.5.0/2.5.1 and its rapidly draining. Only started happening after this update.
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:02 AM   #499
TongueTied
Zealot
TongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
I had this with my wife's Glo but after the update to 2.5.1 (actually, went from 2.4.0 to 2.5.1), I haven't seen it happen again (touch wood)
TongueTied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:36 AM   #500
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
Has anyone else tested? I've got 2.5.1 on my Touch and Glo. I tried to get the Touch to go into the high drain mode last night with no success. I don't want to be premature, but maybe they already rolled in the fix?
Updated my original Touch from 2.4.0 to 2.5.1 yesterday. Fully charged it then put the beam-blocker on the screen. Eight hours later, exactly the same as reported before - frozen screen requiring power-cycle and drop from 100% to 59%. So, in my case, nothing has changed.

Based on the small number of replies so far, there could be a difference between Glos and Touches appearing ...

Last edited by Peakcrew; 05-01-2013 at 04:39 AM.
Advert
Old 05-12-2013, 07:19 PM   #501
feenix1363
Lost and clueless
feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Glo, Kindle for Andriod, Kobo for Android
Has anyone tested this yet on 2.5.2?

Or better still, has anyone heard anything definitive from Kobo?
feenix1363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:06 PM   #502
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
-plink-

Wow... you CAN hear a pin drop in here.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:01 AM   #503
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by feenix1363 View Post

I hadn't realised there is 2.5.2! Just updating now, and then I'll run my standard test and get back to you.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:45 AM   #504
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakcrew View Post
I hadn't realised there is 2.5.2! Just updating now, and then I'll run my standard test and get back to you.
... except there doesn't seem to be an update for the old-model Touch. I've tried wifi and cable - nothing happening. Judging from the howls of anguish <a href="https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212720">here</a> about a top-bar showing permanently on the screen, I'm not sure I'm disappointed!

(I'm fed up of trying to get the thing to accept a link, so I'm leaving the scruffy version in - sorry.)
Old 05-13-2013, 11:13 AM   #505
feenix1363
Lost and clueless
feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for trying anyway.

I'll see how mine goes on and report back, but I've had pretty mixed results on previous tests.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:38 PM   #506
VelvetElvis
Addict
VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Fire HD8, Asus, Sony (T1, PRS-300), Kobo (Glo, Touch, Wireless)
Quote:

I've emailed Sameer. I've emailed Danny Staffieri. I sent Kobo #3 to his attention for analysis, and all I got was a promise of an update that so far, hasn't come.

Just posted a query on the Kobo Facebook page, but I'm not holding my breath.

If a fix is eluding you, fine, but say SOMETHING.
VelvetElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:22 PM   #507
feenix1363
Lost and clueless

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetElvis View Post
I've emailed Sameer. I've emailed Danny Staffieri. I sent Kobo #3 to his attention for analysis, and all I got was a promise of an update that so far, hasn't come.

Just posted a query on the Kobo Facebook page, but I'm not holding my breath.

If a fix is eluding you, fine, but say SOMETHING.
Shame their not as keen on posting now that we've all bought the readers as they were before launch date.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:16 AM   #508
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
Shame their not as keen on posting now that we've all bought the readers as they were before launch date.
Agreed. I'm hopefully going to get a backlit reader soon - Kobo's customer service isn't persuading me it will be a clear choice. Whilst I have no real confidence that there is a company out there that will be much better at giving information out and at least pretending to listen, perhaps there is one that doesn't introduce a new set of fairly serious bugs with every other update!
Old 05-15-2013, 07:33 AM   #509
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
-plink-

Wow... you CAN hear a pin drop in here.
*PLINK!*

louder now
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:49 AM   #510
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
*PLINK!*

louder now
*PLINK* *Plink* *plink* *plink*

You can actually hear the echo ...