Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 06-29-2012, 04:21 AM   #31
VaporPunk
Evangelist
VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 + Asus Transformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Having used it for two days now, I'm extremely impressed. I've bought a nice case for it from Amazon, and, in the case, it's almost the same size as my Kindle Touch (a little taller, and a little narrower). Battery life is good - I fully charged it on Tuesday, and have now been using for a day and a half, and the battery charge is still showing as 80%.

I mainly plan to use this as a portable video player, and it seems to be absolutely excellent for that. One thing I like about it (and something my iPad won't do!) is that it can switch any video between 4:3 and 16:9 aspect ratio - very useful when a video file doesn't use the right aspect ratio automatically, as many don't.

Very pleased I bought it. Looking at the specs of the new Google tablet, the Samsung seems like a winner for me, in that it has an SD card slot, which is essential for my needs.
80%? Have you been actually using it or has it been on standby most of the time? Wifi on or off? Just curious...
VaporPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:43 AM   #32
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporPunk View Post
80%? Have you been actually using it or has it been on standby most of the time? Wifi on or off? Just curious...
Now down to about 40%. Been using it for a couple of hours of video a day, plus web browsing, playing with apps, etc. I'm leaving it until I get a "low battery" warning just to see how long it does last.

My empirical observation is that playing video for an hour drains the battery by about 10%.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2012, 04:58 AM   #33
VaporPunk
Evangelist
VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 + Asus Transformer
Thats pretty much the average for hq tabs these days. My Tran gets about 10 hours of hard use before it drains down to 10% or so. I usually use it 1-2 hours a day, leave it on standby with wifi on most of the time. I usually charge it every 3-4 days or so, once it gets down to 20-30%.

What video player are you using? Did you get one from the market or was it pre-installed by Samsung?

Sounds like you got a nice little tab there, good choice for an impulse buy!
VaporPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:22 AM   #34
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm using the "Video Player" app that was pre-installed. Seems to do everything that I need.

Yes, I'm very pleased with it indeed. I think it's going to get a lot of use!
Old 07-01-2012, 11:19 PM   #35
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
I'm using the "Video Player" app that was pre-installed. Seems to do everything that I need.

Yes, I'm very pleased with it indeed. I think it's going to get a lot of use!
It sounds very good.
I like these Galaxy 7" tablets. Samsung seems to do a very good job with all aspects. I had wondered if I would get an upgrade to 4.0 or better OS because I had seen a lot of dire predictions, but now that 4.1 is coming out Samsung is finally getting around to it.

I will have to hijack "my" 7 Plus from my lady friend and upgrade it.
It reminds me of when I had a sporty little Ford Probe and I never could find it because the kids, the nieces all borrowed it every chance. I would fly home and say I am going to the store and go to get "my little car" and it was no where to be seen so I would end up being carried to the store or driving the diesel over there.

They don't ever borrow the little van I have now.

SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2012, 08:06 AM   #36
jojoba
Addict
jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3gen, Cybook Odyssey FL HD
I got one of these for my husband a couple of weeks ago. He's never had a smart phone or tablet before and isn't very 'into techie stuff', so I was a bit worried that he wouldn't find android easy to use, but it's gone surprisingly well (I have an android phone so could help him along) and he seems pretty happy with it. He uses it a lot to watch videos and net TV and to Skype, as well as some games and the basic email checking and web browsing. He's very happy with the screen, and personally I quite like the size from a portability point of view. He also seems to be doing fine on battery time. It seems to me like this tablet is pretty good value for money.

Does anyone have experience with reading PDFs on this size tablet? Is it too small? And can anyone recommend a good pdf annotation app for android?
jojoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:22 AM   #37
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoba View Post
Does anyone have experience with reading PDFs on this size tablet? Is it too small? And can anyone recommend a good pdf annotation app for android?
I think personally it's too small. You really need a 10" screen for A4/Letter formatted PDFs.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:43 AM   #38
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
I got one of these for my husband a couple of weeks ago. He's never had a smart phone or tablet before and isn't very 'into techie stuff', so I was a bit worried that he wouldn't find android easy to use, but it's gone surprisingly well (I have an android phone so could help him along) and he seems pretty happy with it. He uses it a lot to watch videos and net TV and to Skype, as well as some games and the basic email checking and web browsing. He's very happy with the screen, and personally I quite like the size from a portability point of view. He also seems to be doing fine on battery time. It seems to me like this tablet is pretty good value for money.

I use my 10.1 Galaxy Tab and I agree that the 7" tablets (like my Vox) are not quite big enough to read them easily, but if that's all you have, EZPDF is one of the best apps for pdf files on Android.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:22 AM   #39
jojoba
Addict
jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I think personally it's too small. You really need a 10" screen for A4/Letter formatted PDFs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
I use my 10.1 Galaxy Tab and I agree that the 7" tablets (like my Vox) are not quite big enough to read them easily, but if that's all you have, EZPDF is one of the best apps for pdf files on Android.
Thanks, both, that was my guess, too. At the moment, I think he's eyeing up that Surface tablet to be released in the fall (depending, of course, on final specs and price), so he won't be getting anything larger before then. I'll let him know about that app in case he wants to test it out.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:13 AM   #40
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
I agree with the others a 10" is easier to read but they are also heavier which in turn makes it harder to read for extended periods. I have a 7" tablet and read PDFs all the time on it. And I make annotations on these PDFs as well.

I find reading PDF books fine to read because most are about 9" including the margins. Good PDF reader can easily autocrop the margins off so you don't have to pan-zoom the pages. When reading pdf gets a bit cumbersome is when the PDFs are letter/A4 or bigger. At this point you can use reflow, and which works great, so long as you don't have pictures or graphs.

As for a reader I recommend both RepliGo and ezPDF you can have both for around $5. Each one of these have some advantage over the other and both are excellent readers.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:33 PM   #41
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
I find reading PDF books fine to read because most are about 9" including the margins. Good PDF reader can easily autocrop the margins off so you don't have to pan-zoom the pages. When reading pdf gets a bit cumbersome is when the PDFs are letter/A4 or bigger. At this point you can use reflow, and which works great, so long as you don't have pictures or graphs.
Do you read them in landscape orientation?
Old 07-09-2012, 12:34 PM   #42
jojoba
Addict

Quote:
I agree with the others a 10" is easier to read but they are also heavier which in turn makes it harder to read for extended periods. I have a 7" tablet and read PDFs all the time on it. And I make annotations on these PDFs as well.

As for a reader I recommend both RepliGo and ezPDF you can have both for around $5. Each one of these have some advantage over the other and both are excellent readers.
Thanks for that! I guess this is partially about personal preference and he'll just have to test it out to see what he's comfortable with it. In his field, nearly all the journal articles are text only, but there is the occasional table and sometimes the journal format is two columns. And I've noted an additional vote for ezPDF

Like Harry, I'm also wondering which orientation you use.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:11 PM   #43
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Do you read them in landscape orientation?
No I read in portrait mode exclusively. I find when I read in landscape I'm scrolling too much and the fonts are too large.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:13 PM   #44
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
No I read in portrait mode exclusively. I find when I read in landscape I'm scrolling too much and the fonts are too large.
OK, thanks. That wouldn't work for me. As a part of my job I need to read lots of PDFs with complex formatting, diagrams, etc, so reflow just doesn't work for me. Displaying such PDFs is one thing that the iPad is superb for. But for most other tasks, I find that I'm using the Tab 2 7" now.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:30 PM   #45
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Thanks for that! I guess this is partially about personal preference and he'll just have to test it out to see what he's comfortable with it. In his field, nearly all the journal articles are text only, but there is the occasional table and sometimes the journal format is two columns. And I've noted an additional vote for ezPDF
Well my vote was both, if I had to recommend one I would probably recommend RepliGo. The nice thing about both of these apps is they use the PDF standard for annotations so that data is preserved in the PDF so you can easily switch between the two PDF readers w/o losing any info.

The main difference between the two readers is ezPDF has a better zoom algorithm so it makes it easy to crop the margins and read a book from beginning to end.

RepliGo has a better PDF rendering engine so it loads the pages faster, searches the PDF faster and handles more PDF.

Quote:
OK, thanks. That wouldn't work for me. As a part of my job I need to read lots of PDFs with complex formatting, diagrams, etc, so reflow just doesn't work for me. Displaying such PDFs is one thing that the iPad is superb for. But for most other tasks, I find that I'm using the Tab 2 7" now.
Same here, most of the books I read have a similar layout as the ones you mentioned. I've found however that most PDF books waste 2-3" of space due to headers and margins. A smart program like ezPDF can auto crop those margins, by double tapping the body of the text, which makes the PDF very readable. With a 10" tablet you don't have to do this thus reading making reading on a 10" is very nice but then you have a lot of wasted space.

I rarely use reflow mode unless I know there are no tables/images then I turn it on. In landscape mode you do not have to use reflow at all. The screen is wide enough to fit most PDF. I just don't like landscape for the reasons I mentioned above.