Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-20-2011, 01:36 PM   #1
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Audio book to ebook

Anyone start listening to an audio book and then get so engrossed in it that they start reading it, so as to finish it faster?

I've been listening to Neal Asher's The Skinner on the commute to work and have found myself running to the car during lunch to listen some more. I'm seriously considering buying it so that I can get through it quicker.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 03:16 PM   #2
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I haven't, but I've definitely wished I could have both the ebook and an audiobook with the ability to switch from one to the other at will (and in sync).

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2011, 03:25 PM   #3
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
I often check out both ebook and audiobook at the same time (or near the same time, if there's a waitlist) from the FLoP.

I can't really listen to an audiobook of something I haven't read yet, for some reason. My mind wanders and then when I come back to the narrative, I'm lost. If I've read the book before, though, I can reorient easily. Does anyone else have that problem?
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 03:54 PM   #4
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
What anamordoll said. I've actually been listening to audiobooks lately in an attempt to improve my listening skills - which suck.

I still only do well with books I've already read though. Even when I'm driving .... I zone out on the audiobook. My teachers used to complain all the time that I never listened in class. They were right.

So chances are when I get the audiobook from Overdrive, I probably have already read the book and I already own the eBook.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 04:16 PM   #5
Dawdler
Enthusiast
Dawdler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dawdler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dawdler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dawdler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook Color, Kindle 3
I'm so glad I'm not the only one that has trouble staying focused while listening to audio books, I tried one a few months back and would zone out and come back in and be lost, I may try overdrive again just to confirm my troubles with audiobooks
Dawdler is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2011, 04:48 PM   #6
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawdler View Post
I'm so glad I'm not the only one that has trouble staying focused while listening to audio books, I tried one a few months back and would zone out and come back in and be lost, I may try overdrive again just to confirm my troubles with audiobooks
I used to be this way. I think getting older helps. I now listen to an audiobook whenever I drive.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 04:49 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawdler
I'm so glad I'm not the only one that has trouble staying focused while listening to audio books
Include me in that group. I'd really love to be able to take advantage of audio books, but I just space out within minutes. And I can't figure out exactly where I went brain-dead to find my place again.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:07 PM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Include me in that group. I'd really love to be able to take advantage of audio books, but I just space out within minutes. And I can't figure out exactly where I went brain-dead to find my place again.
I've gotten a little better over time with this with practice. But navigation is a huge problem with audiobooks: no text search, generic chapter headings (when there's a UI). One of the ePub 3.0 specs has to do with synchronizing text and audio, so we might see something in a year or two:

Quote:
EPUB Media Overlays 3.0 [MediaOverlays30], which defines a format and a processing model for synchronization of text and audio.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:08 PM   #9
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrodad View Post
Anyone start listening to an audio book and then get so engrossed in it that they start reading it, so as to finish it faster?

I've been listening to Neal Asher's The Skinner on the commute to work and have found myself running to the car during lunch to listen some more. I'm seriously considering buying it so that I can get through it quicker.
Yes, but not for the same reason. I've switched to the print version a couple of times to be able to skim through some of the denser parts, mostly nonfiction.

I tried Sarah Waters' The Little Stranger read by Simon Vance, gaving up after an hour or so. When I mentioned that at Goodreads, it was suggested that book's slow pace might not be optimal for audio, and to try reading it. Apprentice Alf was kind enough to supply me with an e-copy for my TBR pile.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 10:15 PM   #10
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I have ebook versions of most of the audiobooks that I listen to, for a couple of reasons. First, I find that listening to a book is a different experience than reading, that is to say, I get a different understanding of it. Sometimes I buy the audiobook after I've read the book, for example the Harry Potter books (I have those in dead tree version) or the Honor Harrington series. Other times, I find a book that I like in audio format and get the ebook version. And, yes sometimes, I get really into an audio book and get the ebook version to see what happens.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 09:53 AM   #11
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
I don't think it's an attention span problem, for those of you beating up on yourself for zoning out when listening to audio books. Some people are audile learners and others are visual learners. I'm not surprised to hear that a lot of dedicated book readers lean more towards the visual spectrum!

So much can depend on the narrator, too. I really hated the voice acting for "The Forest of Hands and Teeth" that I listened to last year and the narrator just sounded so BORED.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 09:27 PM   #12
Ericp
Ericp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle and Sovos Reader
It is interesting to hear the experiences of others with audio books as I have never got on with them. For me, it is the reader that is the most important. Readers seem to be chosen almost at random and it ruins the entire experience.

A couple of examples would be Jim Dale and the male that reads The Wheel of Time books. Dale sounds like someone who is trying to eat whole hard boiled eggs whilst having a broom handle inserted up his rectum. The WoT guy sounds like he is trying to make an urgent call on a pay phone and angrily looking for the coins and the number.

This distracts me from the book. Similarly I was sad when I got Windows 7 to find that the only voice available was US female and sounds like she is urgently looking for a toilet. Not even MS "Sam" was available and I have got used to him.

We have all been in the position of turning on the radio and hearing someone read a play or story and been unable to do anything except sit down and listen, to be whisked away into the readers world, so it cannot be that I just do not like audio books.
Ericp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 10:21 PM   #13
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have no opinion on Jim Dale myself as I've never heard him read anything, but folks seem to gush over his Harry Potter narration.

Most professional readers do a good job. Self-narrating authors ... not so much.
Old 05-22-2011, 12:06 AM   #14
jtdolphins
Zealot
jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipod touch, Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
Most professional readers do a good job. Self-narrating authors ... not so much.
The only bad experience I have had with audio books was a self-narrating author. I never finished listening to the book. I have listened to a lot of audio books and have yet to come across a bad professional reader.

I haven't bought a book to finish reading faster, but I have bought real books to have on my shelf for reference. I have done this with ebooks too. I just really liked the book and wanted it for my collection. These books have always history books so far.
jtdolphins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 01:40 AM   #15
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?

Many folks love Bill Bryson's self-narration -- I find him a turnoff as a reader.

One non-fiction that I think probably works out better that way is Eric Weiner reading his own book: The Geography of Bliss.

Myla Goldberg did a good job with her fictional work Bee Season as well.