Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 02-11-2013, 06:38 PM   #16
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
+1 for Wordpress. My only basis of comparison was a review of the major ones about six years ago. Went with WP and never looked back.
thanks pen. Appreciate it.
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:40 PM   #17
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by PainMike View Post
Did not believe whole blogging until attempt to author. Went to Wordpress. Couple of times the New Post got stuck or images behaved inconsistently. I'm old half-nerd but the interface felt confusing at first. When used to it, it felt grateful. Every possible stats and info. Pay for more but I'm happy without million more settings. And to my surprise I found their spam interesting, about new styles and definitely the Favs posts section tells you where the wind comes from.
In the other hand I have not tried others. I'll move to pay if...erm, when I start selling and that's more features.
thanks Mike. Appreciate it.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:41 PM   #18
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by avantman42 View Post
I use WordPress. I've always preferred reading WordPress blogs over Blogger blogs, so I went with the one I'd rather read myself.
Makes sense. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:42 PM   #19
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Here's a good comparison of blogger and wordpress:

http://www.techlila.com/articles/whi...press-blogger/

and another comparison
http://pulsed.blogspot.com/2007/07/b...ess-chart.html

and a pretty extensive comparison at computerworld:

http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...9&pageNumber=1

the computerworld conclusion:
thanks Kenny. thanks for the links. They were very helpful, esp. the side-by-side comparisons in the first one. Appreciate it.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:44 PM   #20
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Fulda View Post
You might also checking out LiveJournal, which is less effective in terms of marketing, but very useful if your primary objective is to share experiences and network with other writers.
Nancy, I've heard of LiveJournal. Now I'll definitely check it out. Thanks for suggesting it.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:34 PM   #21
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

I checked it out.

Quote:
You might also checking out LiveJournal, which is less effective in terms of marketing, but very useful if your primary objective is to share experiences and network with other writers.
Went to LiveJournal and didn't see too much by or about writers. (Mostly photography and celebrity stuff.) Was I missing something?
Old 02-13-2013, 02:59 AM   #22
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.
Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearstardiode View Post
Went to LiveJournal and didn't see too much by or about writers. (Mostly photography and celebrity stuff.) Was I missing something?
I may have miscommunicated. The LiveJournal site isn't specifically geared towards writers. It's just that a lot of writer-type people tend to use it, and the system is nicely set up to allow mutual friends to read and comment on each others' blogs. It creates a nice, tightly-knit community, or at least it did for me. It does take a while to find and friend people with similar interests, though.
Nancy Fulda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:23 AM   #23
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
LJ's ownership has been pushing the celebrity stuff; LJ's writer community is still active and strong--but not necessarily easily visible from the outside.

Interest: Writing (There are substantially more than the 391 that show up; LJ's interest algorithm breaks at 500, and some--109, apparently--of the first 500 to list the topic have been deleted since they were created.)

Little Details, a fact-checking community for writers

FictionWriters community

Critique-Circle community: "Critiquing fiction and providing resources for fiction writers."

There are many individual writer blogs that are active; the network of friended writers works as a less-structured community. If you mention your genre(s), people might be able to point you at more specific resources.

If you're new to blogging, picking one platform to start with is probably a good idea. LJ is more designed for social activities; Wordpress or Blogger or Blogspot is better for a professional site.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:36 PM   #24
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

thanks

Quote:
I may have miscommunicated. The LiveJournal site isn't specifically geared towards writers. It's just that a lot of writer-type people tend to use it, and the system is nicely set up to allow mutual friends to read and comment on each others' blogs. It creates a nice, tightly-knit community, or at least it did for me. It does take a while to find and friend people with similar interests, though.
I will give it another go and have a better idea what to look for. Thanks.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:59 PM   #25
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
LJ's ownership has been pushing the celebrity stuff; LJ's writer community is still active and strong--but not necessarily easily visible from the outside.

Interest: Writing (There are substantially more than the 391 that show up; LJ's interest algorithm breaks at 500, and some--109, apparently--of the first 500 to list the topic have been deleted since they were created.)

Little Details, a fact-checking community for writers

FictionWriters community

Critique-Circle community: "Critiquing fiction and providing resources for fiction writers."

There are many individual writer blogs that are active; the network of friended writers works as a less-structured community. If you mention your genre(s), people might be able to point you at more specific resources.

If you're new to blogging, picking one platform to start with is probably a good idea. LJ is more designed for social activities; Wordpress or Blogger or Blogspot is better for a professional site.
Very helpful description of the site, Elfwreck, thank you. I went back and looked at the 'Fiction Writers.' It was interesting. I'll go back and explore some more. Thanks very much for the info (and the advice about blogging).
Old 02-13-2013, 02:43 PM   #26
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Very helpful description of the site, Elfwreck, thank you. I went back and looked at the 'Fiction Writers.' It was interesting. I'll go back and explore some more. Thanks very much for the info (and the advice about blogging).
Apparently I gave the wrong link for Little_Details; here's the correct one for the profile, and here's the community itself. I'm always fascinated by the discussions at little_details, even when they've got no connection to anything I've ever written.

I was active on LJ for about five years and switched to Dreamwidth, a fork of the same source code, for more-or-less political reasons. (LJ's policy changes grated on me, and every time I considered going back for the larger, more active communities, LJ did more (IMHO) stupid annoying things. But many people still get what they're looking for at LJ.)

There are many active writing communities at Dreamwidth as well, but Dreamwidth is heavy in fanfic writing. While many of the comms are original-fiction-only, there's always at least the awareness of fic communities right next door; it influences the way writing gets discussed.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:02 PM   #27
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Apparently I gave the wrong link for Little_Details; here's the correct one for the profile, and here's the community itself. I'm always fascinated by the discussions at little_details, even when they've got no connection to anything I've ever written.

I was active on LJ for about five years and switched to Dreamwidth, a fork of the same source code, for more-or-less political reasons. (LJ's policy changes grated on me, and every time I considered going back for the larger, more active communities, LJ did more (IMHO) stupid annoying things. But many people still get what they're looking for at LJ.)

There are many active writing communities at Dreamwidth as well, but Dreamwidth is heavy in fanfic writing. While many of the comms are original-fiction-only, there's always at least the awareness of fic communities right next door; it influences the way writing gets discussed.

Yeah, I recently posted a question to Little Details and was happy with how it worked out, probably will start hanging out there more when I get some time. Maybe answer some of the posts...
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:21 AM   #28
ebooklovers
ebooklovers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebooklovers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebooklovers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebooklovers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebooklovers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebooklovers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebooklovers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebooklovers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebooklovers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebooklovers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebooklovers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android
If Tumblr is included then I would choose Tumblr..

One of the things I love about Tumblr is that other users will also be able to see your post, regardless if you two are connected or friends. This means that Tumblr automatically provides an audience to your post so all you need to do is to make a good and interesting post for your market.
ebooklovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:56 PM   #29
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

thanks

Quote:

Thanks, Elfwreck, for the corrected link. And I'll definitely check out Dreamwidth. Sounds good.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:57 PM   #30
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebooklovers View Post
If Tumblr is included then I would choose Tumblr..

One of the things I love about Tumblr is that other users will also be able to see your post, regardless if you two are connected or friends. This means that Tumblr automatically provides an audience to your post so all you need to do is to make a good and interesting post for your market.
Thanks ebooklovers. That availability of the post to be seen by everybody does sound good. I'll check it out.