Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-28-2012, 03:37 PM   #16
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
But if you purchased it from B&N, if you add a new credit card to the account, you can re-download the book and have access again.
They weren't from B&N - I should have made this clearer. I don't even remember the site, but I was told that I could only redownload the book using the same credit card used for the original purchase, which is why I'm so against credit card dependent DRM.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:45 PM   #17
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehunt View Post
You neglected to mention that if you no longer have the credit card used to purchase the book you cannot access it. I've lost the ability to access several ebooks due to changing credit cards.

I will never again purchase a book with DRM tied into my credit card info. Thankfully with Amazon I only need my email address.
You do not need the actual credit card, just the credit card number and name. The ebook file is just a password protected file. After downloading the ebook there is no connection to the actual credit card.
The only thing you need to do it write down the credit card number and name somewhere.

As for Amazon. Your Kindle ebooks are tied to the hardware of your ereader. Without Amazon's DRM server you will not be able to read your ebooks on any other ereader than the one you downloaded the books to. With B&N's DRM I can just copy my ebooks as many times as like, to as many devices as I like, without having to depend on an DRM-server being available to allow me to do this.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:50 PM   #18
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehunt View Post
They weren't from B&N - I should have made this clearer. I don't even remember the site, but I was told that I could only redownload the book using the same credit card used for the original purchase, which is why I'm so against credit card dependent DRM.
Any site I know that uses the credit card for DRM allows you to register another credit card to download your books.
This is more a bad DRM implementation than a fault of credit card dependent DRM.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:40 PM   #19
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
Any site I know that uses the credit card for DRM allows you to register another credit card to download your books.
This is more a bad DRM implementation than a fault of credit card dependent DRM.
... and often exacerbated by poorly trained customer service people who don't understand how their own system works.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:06 PM   #20
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Sounds like your ereader only saves one encryption key, and wants all books to be encrypted with that key. Bad DRM support in your ereader's software.
When you try to open an ebook for which the ereader has no encryption key, it should ask you to type in the correct credit card number and name.
The point is that the DRM tied to the credit card creates a hassle if one changes credit cards. It is not an insurmountable obstacle, but it is an annoyance.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:04 PM   #21
Ladyrixx
Zealot
Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro, Kobo Mini, Nook Glowlight 2, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
Add to that the fact that he had to have deliberately removed the book from his device at some point (and likely for little reason, given how the memory is partitioned these days, they'll hold thousands of books easily), and didn't download an archival copy in the first place, and the headline starts to smell like hysterical BS.
I've had B&N customer service people direct me to remove their software from my Blackberry, and then I needed to find my CC from my old bank in order to get my book back on it. I kept it for exactly that reason.

I have other books I've bought with a gift card. I have no Earthly clue as to what to type in for them if I need to, I now have my mother's CC on the account just so that I can use the gift card I keep topping up.
Ladyrixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:33 PM   #22
geertm
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyrixx View Post
I've had B&N customer service people direct me to remove their software from my Blackberry, and then I needed to find my CC from my old bank in order to get my book back on it. I kept it for exactly that reason.

I have other books I've bought with a gift card. I have no Earthly clue as to what to type in for them if I need to, I now have my mother's CC on the account just so that I can use the gift card I keep topping up.
If you buy books with a gift card your default credit card is used to encrypt the books.
If you do not know which credit card a book was downloaded with, just download a new copy from B&N (archive/unarchive the book). The new copy will be encrypted with your current default credit card.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:39 PM   #23
StephenM
Temporal Tourist
StephenM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StephenM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StephenM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StephenM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StephenM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StephenM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StephenM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StephenM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StephenM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StephenM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StephenM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo VOX
Quote:
If you buy books with a gift card your default credit card is used to encrypt the books.
If you do not know which credit card a book was downloaded with, just download a new copy from B&N (archive/unarchive the book). The new copy will be encrypted with your current default credit card.
So, I presume then that a person without a credit card, who uses gift cards exclusively due to this limitation of theirs, is unable to purchase books from B&N? So they only want customers with valid credit cards?
StephenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:01 PM   #24
geertm
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenM View Post
So, I presume then that a person without a credit card, who uses gift cards exclusively due to this limitation of theirs, is unable to purchase books from B&N? So they only want customers with valid credit cards?
You can use pre-paid credit/debit cards with just a small amount of money loaded. Any card you can register with an address will work. The DRM can use the card to encrypt the books, you pay using gift cards.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:38 PM   #25
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
Once you understand how really versatile Barnes and Nobles DRM is . You would not except what is offered by Amazon or Adobe. The ability to easily share books with people I trust makes this DRM the best on the market.
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:41 PM   #26
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Yeah, this is why I will never own a Nook. I had thought that B&N used ePub and, thus, was pretty open. When I found out otherwise, I swore off B&N. I'll buy from Kobo or Amazon (if I'm going to have to strip DRM, anyway, I might as well).
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:55 PM   #27
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
Just how the #$%$# is that the "least restrictive" DRM is an abomination this type of crap from B&N just makes it worse... they pull this type of garbage and then wonder why people pirate....
bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:17 PM   #28
tedpeer
Enthusiast
tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: nook, iOs
This whole credit card number thing is so easy to fix. When you get a credit card, write the number on a piece of paper with the credit card company on it then (pick one):

1) tape it to the top edge of a door in your house. (Someone will need a step ladder or a mirror to read it).

2) Put it in page xxx of the Holy Bible in your bookcase

3) Tape it to the actual disc in an old floppy 1.44 mb diskette, so you have to move the metal slide to reveal it.

This isn't rocket science guys. If you don't want to store the credit card number on the computer, you have to keep a copy someplace. My wife lost her wallet. We had new cards issued. I wrote all over my old card that it was the CC# used in the B&N account and filed the card. No biggie.

That being said, I do understand that it can be a hassle to keep old card numbers around.

That is also why I strip any DRM on purchased items ASAP (on items that I can anyway) so I don't have to worry about a store closing (Fictionwise or original amazon ebooks, or Microsoft Reader (.lit)), or losing a credit card.

Ted
tedpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:20 PM   #29
injapan
Addict
injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11, Kobo Arua 2 and iPad Air 3
wow! Interesting story
injapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:54 AM   #30
ForsCream
Connoisseur
ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ForsCream ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite
Yes I also read this piece of news yesterday.

I also meet this kind of issue before, I am living out of America and used to buy 2-3 books in Barnes&Noble.
When I finish checking out with my international VISA, B&N told me that I am not allowed to download the books as I am not using a native USA credit card.
Then I request a refund then, but they just reply the same answer to me..
So..Goodbye B&N.
ForsCream is offline   Reply With Quote