Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-23-2010, 09:07 AM   #76
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
I'm not, in anyway, disparaging the definition - only saying what I always think/thought the word means; and perhaps more in context of abortion. I am, obviously mistaken in the main definitions.
I wasn't trying to put you down; I just didn't want you to have to take our word for the seventh definition. I'm sorry my intent wasn't clear.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:13 AM   #77
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suecsi View Post
...Sometimes this need to be 'always available' is pushed too far...
Only sometimes? I've been taken to task, even ridiculed, for my habit of keeping my cell phone turned off until I'm ready to use it (I don't even give that number out except to a handful of close friends). I even had an employer demand I keep it turned on until I asked if he was going to pay my cell phone bill (that stopped that nonsense). I'm about to yank my landline because of unsolicited calls, mostly political and surveys (no, the Do-Not-Call list hasn't been working) interrupting whatever it is I'm doing at the time. I quit giving that number out in an attempt to curb the number of calls but it has only slightly reduced them.

Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald; 09-23-2010 at 09:20 AM.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2010, 11:11 AM   #78
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
Forms of terminate, like termination, usually deal with ending something, such as a job or even a computer program. It is also the base for exterminate, which we all know gets said a lot by the Daleks on Dr. Who.

It doesn't even mean something ends early, it also means the outcome or result of something.

I hope the bus driver was terminated from his job, not terminated permanently.
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:12 AM   #79
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscoach View Post
Forms of terminate, like termination, usually deal with ending something, such as a job or even a computer program. It is also the base for exterminate, which we all know gets said a lot by the Daleks on Dr. Who.

It doesn't even mean something ends early, it also means the outcome or result of something.

I hope the bus driver was terminated from his job, not terminated permanently.

that was my interpretation ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:43 PM   #80
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Abe View Post
You can see where this is going. Lahcen Qouchbane (the bus driver) will hire a lawyer with a JD from a correspondence school....
Yeah, I don't think so.

Last I checked, if you get popped for speeding, the judge is not going to void your ticket because you claim other motorists were also speeding. Go ahead, test my theory.

Also, while it does sound like the city may be able to crack down a bit, chances are that if all they get is one person verbally reporting a distracted bus driver and there isn't enough evidence, the driver will be hard to fire (union issues, possible discrimination lawsuits etc). In this case, they've got the driver dead to rights.

Sounds like a good reason to buy a tiny video camera if you live in the PNW.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2010, 02:10 PM   #81
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
Kali, it's easy enough to pin anything on anyone. If this were a police department matter, an Internal Affairs investigator would be put on the case to shadow any employee reported to be in violation of city or state policy. Thus, Tri-Met could theoretically verify cell phone usage or game playing by other bus drivers, just by placing an undercover investigator on the vehicle. Eventually the violator would be caught red-handed doing his/her number. I'd say the violators were habitual offenders. (In fact, don't most cell phone companies keep a record of calls? That's hard evidence to me.)

Anyway, people have been sentenced on felony charges with nothing more than eyewitness testimony. If the credibility of the witness cannot be impugned, then why would Tri-Met necessarily need a smoking gun (photo or videotape) as evidence?

Last edited by Fat Abe; 09-23-2010 at 02:14 PM.
Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 02:40 PM   #82
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Tape?
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 06:42 PM   #83
opitzs
Avid Reader
opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, PRS T1, Kobo Glo
I always read when driving, for two perfectly good reasons:
1. You are reading a (hopefully) good book
2. You miss all those pesky red lights and arrive faster
opitzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 06:31 AM   #84
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
:shudders:
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote