Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-29-2009, 01:35 PM   #1
re838uk
re838uk began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 (Red)
Images on the Sony Reader

Can someone with the Sony Reader PRS-600 comment on how well images display on the reader. Are they shrunk to fit onto the screen, or are they resized properly to the screen size - hope that makes sense.
I will be using an ebook reader to view manga scans as well as text documents but i've not come across any feedback on how images are handled.

Can the reader view images inside an unextracted rar/zip file?

I can't decide between the prs-600 or the prs-505 if my main use is for manga reading. The 505 is cheaper but lacks the support for gifs I believe - do Sony or have they released firmware to overcome this?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
re838uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 01:48 PM   #2
The-eBook-Reader
Groupie
The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: All
I've only tried a few images so I can't say for sure, but from my experience the images get shrunk to fit the screen. PDF's have a border around them, but the jpgs I've tried don't. Here's a picture of one of the preloaded images on the 600.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	600pic.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	36687  
The-eBook-Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2009, 01:48 PM   #3
Seventh Son
lurker
Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: I should probably stop
Reader shows one image per screen, properly scaled (or half per screen in landscape). Less colors and more contrast the better. Manga with large type will be perfect.
You'll need to convert archives to a supported format with calibre.
Seventh Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 01:51 PM   #4
The-eBook-Reader
Groupie
The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: All
I've since given away my 505 now that I've got the 600, but I'm pretty positive it supports gif too.
The-eBook-Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 02:20 PM   #5
re838uk

cheers for that.

So if i read that right, by one image per screen you mean I can't choose to have part of an image displayed and somehow scroll up or down to view the rest of the image?

Given the following, do you think the 505 is a better purchase or the 600.
I don't like the touch screen or any touch features and the potential for glare bothers me.
I like quick page turns but have seen some youtube videos of the 505 taking a minute to turn one page.
This is my first ebook and don't want to spend too much. There is about £60 difference between the two models - is the difference in cost worth it?.
More than likely i'd also need to invest in a case or cover as well as an SD so more costs to consider.
Or should I wait for Plastic Logic which is the one i'm keen on getting but if it's going to take another year for it to be released over in the UK then getting a more portable version now might be better till it's release.
Advert
Old 09-29-2009, 02:23 PM   #6
Seventh Son
lurker
Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: I should probably stop
You can zoom and scroll on 600 of course. It's just that by default it scales the image to fit the screen.
Seventh Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 02:26 PM   #7
re838uk

does it zoom/scroll for the 505?