Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-22-2009, 09:33 PM   #1
PeeBus
PeeBus began at the beginning.

Device: EBookwise 1150
505- Quick Review

Looks - gorgeous, sleek, very impressive
Build quality - feels solid and weighty (in a good way)
Screen - fabulous, much better than LCD
Functionality - menus are intuitive, books are slow to load, pages turn SLOWLY!, buttons are NOT conveniently placed for page changes, sometimes it's hard to tell if a button has been pushed or not due to the exceedingly slow refresh rate.
Other Flaws - the flash between the SLOW page switch is MOST annoying. So annoying, in fact, that I look away at every page turn to avoid it

On balance, it's keeper but the slow page turning and horrible flash have me questioning why I switched from the old EBookwise GEB 1150.
PeeBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:56 PM   #2
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Page turning really isn't that slow, maybe a second tops. What kind of files are your e-books? I've found the performance on rtf and lrf formats to be just fine, and I was one of the guys who thought the "black flash" was going to be a major annoyance.

It's not, I still notice it, but I just hit the page turn button a beat before I finish reading the last line of the page. It gets to be a habit. Maybe it's more of a problem for you, since you're used to the instant page turns of the ebookwise... This is common to all e-ink devices.
Teddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2009, 03:37 AM   #3
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Interesting to hear the perspective of an ebookwise owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddman View Post
It's not, I still notice it, but I just hit the page turn button a beat before I finish reading the last line of the page. It gets to be a habit.
I do the same thing! Once in a while I hit it too early and have to go back a page. Now *that's* annoying
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 05:50 AM   #4
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
Slow turning?

Meh It's still faster than physically turning a page, and it's far less than a second. And you will soon tune out the flash.

Slow loading books only means you didn't use the sony software to pre-paginate them. Also not a huge issue, I tend to drop a few books to my reader at one go then spend the 5 mintues or so it takes to get the sony to do it's thing in one go.

The advantages of my e-ink screen over my Zaurus for reading... No migraines. :-) Yea I think it's worth it.
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 06:53 AM   #5
ruth1304
Addict
ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Waiting for a kindle!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
I do the same thing! Once in a while I hit it too early and have to go back a page. Now *that's* annoying
Yes, me too. Although I don't think it's any more annoying than turning over two pages of a pbook together
ruth1304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2009, 03:03 PM   #6
Kai Winters
Lover of Books
Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+
I thought I would have some difficulty with the "flash". I acclimated quickly and after a mere week of use I barely notice it.
I do not find the page turn to be slow.
Kai Winters is offline   Reply With Quote