Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 04-20-2009, 10:01 PM   #31
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe The Cat View Post
MoeJoe nominated Dracula in post #3 and JSWolf seconded it in post #4. Fledchen said he was seconding it in post #25, but his nod was actually a third. So, Dracula should be our first novel through to the voting round.
Right, and Afraid has 2 and your OP shows one.

So, by my count we have:

Dracula (3)

Duma Key (2)
Frankenstein (2)
Four and Twenty Black Birds by Cherie Priest (2)
The House on the Borderland by William Hope Hodgson (2)
Afraid by Jack Kilborn (2)

The Boneman's Daughter by Ted Dekker (1)
Lair of the White Worm by Bram Stoker (1)
The King In Yellow by Robert William Chambers (1)
Frankenstein: Prodigal Son by Dean Koontz (1)
Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz (1)
Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill (1)

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:18 PM   #32
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Right, and Afraid has 2 and your OP shows one.

So, by my count we have:

Dracula (3)

Duma Key (2)
Frankenstein (2)
Four and Twenty Black Birds by Cherie Priest (2)
The House on the Borderland by William Hope Hodgson (2)
Afraid by Jack Kilborn (2)

The Boneman's Daughter by Ted Dekker (1)
Lair of the White Worm by Bram Stoker (1)
The King In Yellow by Robert William Chambers (1)
Frankenstein: Prodigal Son by Dean Koontz (1)
Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz (1)
Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill (1)

BOb
That's weird, I swear I had two for "Afraid." I seconded it (even though I'm not sure you "firsted" it
I'm going to be lazy and copy and paste what you just typed. I was scrolling through and adding everything one at a time.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2009, 09:40 AM   #33
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Alright I'm thirding "Frankenstein."

Come on guys, we can't choose between only two books
Old 04-21-2009, 09:41 AM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Alright I'm thirding "Frankenstein."

Come on guys, we can't choose between only two books
So someone please third Duma key.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:54 AM   #35
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I would suggest if we get to that time to just take all the books with 3 or 2 nominations. Right now that gives us 6 choices.

BOb
Advert
Old 04-21-2009, 09:56 AM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I would suggest if we get to that time to just take all the books with 3 or 2 nominations. Right now that gives us 6 choices.

BOb
That does sound like a good idea. It's too bad more people are not participating in the nominating process.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:58 AM   #37
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That does sound like a good idea. It's too bad more people are not participating in the nominating process.
Yes, I agree... participation has been waning since we started the club. Are people loosing interest.... or perhaps this month's genre doesn't interest everyone?

BOb
Old 04-21-2009, 10:16 AM   #38
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yes, I agree... participation has been waning since we started the club. Are people loosing interest.... or perhaps this month's genre doesn't interest everyone?

BOb
I think it might be the genre. I'm not that excited about it, to be honest, but I have been meaning to read "Frankenstein."
Old 04-21-2009, 10:26 AM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I have been meaning to read Dracula and Duma Key. So either would be good for me.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:47 AM   #40
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS600
I second "Heart-Shape Box" and will third Duma Key.

Mel
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 10:57 AM   #41
acprinter
Groupie
acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 11th generation
Quote:

BOb
Sounds like this should call for a DesertGrandma poll. What genres do people like the most. For me it is mystery/detective, science fiction and historical fiction. I like horror but usually only the classics.
acprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:42 AM   #42
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I love this genre, though I feel it should be in October (Halloween and all) and I've already read several of the books listed.

I'm going to add the 3rd for "Afraid" since I downloaded it about a week ago and haven't read it yet (plus it's cheap).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:48 AM   #43
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

One of the whole points of the club is to read Genre's that you don't normally read and find books and authors that you didn't know about.

If you are just going to read the stuff you like and the authors you know... well, your doing that already.

Just sayin...

BOb
Old 04-21-2009, 11:55 AM   #44
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
One of the whole points of the club is to read Genre's that you don't normally read and find books and authors that you didn't know about.

If you are just going to read the stuff you like and the authors you know... well, your doing that already.

Just sayin...

BOb
That's a good point, well made.

I don't know much about this genre, so I'm leaving those who do to nominate. It doesn't mean I won't be reading the book.

But also, the nomination process has seemed to generate more debate than the books we get at the end of it - I'm hoping the discussions about the books become just as heated soon.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 01:11 PM   #45
Brainphart
Compost Power
Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.

Device: Nook ST-1 Sony Reader PRS500(retired but still kicking)
I'd like to third "Four and Twenty Black Birds" by Cherie Priest and third "Heart-Shaped Box" by Joe Hill.

Last edited by Brainphart; 04-21-2009 at 01:28 PM. Reason: doh! I didn't see the second for "Heart-Shaped Box"
Brainphart is offline   Reply With Quote