Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-29-2013, 05:25 PM   #91
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
...They way overpriced them, at least as far as I'm concerned...
If I compare to, let's say, my MacBook Air with similar specs, I don't think Surface Pro has been overpriced.
It may be above the price point of major target groups, but that's another point.
If I check the market (1 year ago, when Surface Pro did appear for the first time), an i5 processor couldn't be found for a lower price.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:37 PM   #92
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
They are reasonably priced compared to other devices in the "ultrabook" class (which is what they are). It's not "throwing money away" if (like me) it's a device you have a use for. Mine gets used all day, every day.
Quote:
Agreed. The Surface Pro is a "real" PC. The Surface RT is a competitor for the iPad or an Android tablet (or even a Chromebook). Different devices. Different markets.
Story of my life: Ultrabook taste on a Chromebook budget.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2013, 05:12 PM   #93
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
That's not a bad thing if the Chromebook happens to be a Pixel.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:05 PM   #94
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
That's not a bad thing if the Chromebook happens to be a Pixel.
Yeah, I figured that would come up.
Visualize an Acer C7 (which is what I actually have, as it happens).
Old 09-30-2013, 09:20 PM   #95
ApK

Duplicate post.
Advert
Old 10-01-2013, 08:34 AM   #96
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Karma for that from one who relates.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:34 AM   #97
MovieBird
TuxSlash
MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: GlowNook
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
But no one will buy it.
Well, they've sold at least 11,000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIAA
Delta Air Lines To Replace Pilots’ Books With Microsoft Surface 2 Tablets.

The AP (10/1) reports Delta Air Lines will replace some pilots’ “heavy bundles of books and maps” with 11,000 Microsoft Surface 2 tablets. The airline expects to save millions with the switch each year because of “fuel and other costs.” The article notes that if the FAA approves, Delta wants to have the tablets on all planes by the end of 2014. Initially, the tablets will be tested on Boeing 757s and 767s.
MovieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:41 PM   #98
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
...But no one will buy it...
I will.
I'm a bit reluctant, as my Surface Pro G1 only is about 6 months old.
But it quickly became my favorite, so its successor is a "must have" for me.
I barely touch my iPad mini or Nexus 7 anymore (although I replaced my Nexus 7 2012 unit with the 2013 successor).
Next to my Surface Pro, I mainly use Dell Latitude 10 now - another Windows 8 tablet.
Surface for the "heavy stuff", Latitude 10 for my mobile demands.
Why?
Compared to Windows 8 tablets, the rest is only gimmicks and gadgets.
iPad mini is a phantastic toy. But that's what it is: A toy.
Whereas my Windows 8 tablets are in a similar class as my MacBook Air: real "working machines".
I don't have a real reason, to replace my Surface Pro G1. I never had any complaints about battery or performance. But, collector that I am, I won't be able to resist long.
I'll wait for the 256GB or 512GB units, though = mid to end of December in Germany.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:02 PM   #99
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
My Surface Pro is my primary PC now; I find that I'm hardly using my "main" laptop any more. I think it's a superb machine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:41 PM   #100
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
I will.
I'm a bit reluctant, as my Surface Pro G1 only is about 6 months old.
But it quickly became my favorite, so its successor is a "must have" for me.
I barely touch my iPad mini or Nexus 7 anymore (although I replaced my Nexus 7 2012 unit with the 2013 successor).
Next to my Surface Pro, I mainly use Dell Latitude 10 now - another Windows 8 tablet.
Surface for the "heavy stuff", Latitude 10 for my mobile demands.
Why?
Compared to Windows 8 tablets, the rest is only gimmicks and gadgets.
iPad mini is a phantastic toy. But that's what it is: A toy.
Whereas my Windows 8 tablets are in a similar class as my MacBook Air: real "working machines".
I don't have a real reason, to replace my Surface Pro G1. I never had any complaints about battery or performance. But, collector that I am, I won't be able to resist long.
I'll wait for the 256GB or 512GB units, though = mid to end of December in Germany.
Quote:
My Surface Pro is my primary PC now; I find that I'm hardly using my "main" laptop any more. I think it's a superb machine.
I just want to say, you two are EVIL. EVIL, EVIL EVIL. I am positively dying for one of these, and you two are like little devils whispering in my "I-cannot-afford-it-right-now" ears!

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:18 PM   #101
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
I just want to say, you two are EVIL. EVIL, EVIL EVIL. I am positively dying for one of these, and you two are like little devils whispering in my "I-cannot-afford-it-right-now" ears!

Hitch
Just a suggestion:
I'm pretty sure, Surface Pro G1 will drop in price drastically.
From Microsoft, but mainly from end users, selling their G1s (only about 6 months old now) to replace them by G2s.
G1s still are perfectly fine and totally up for the task.
I'm pretty sure, you'll get the 128GB version of Surface Pro G1 for ca. € 500 in 2 months.

Last edited by mgmueller; 10-01-2013 at 05:20 PM.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:22 PM   #102
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post

Hitch
The guys over at WindowsPhone Central forum who have had an opportunity to get their hands on a Surface 2 (2nd gen RT) claim that the performance is not only significantly better than the RT, but also the Pro 1. So unless you have a burning need for legacy support, you might want to consider a Surface 2 (at half the price of the Pro 2).

I'm thoroughly enjoying my RT...especially running 8.1 which is a very, very nice improvement. So far the greatest downside is the poor support for capacitive stylus/finger drawing.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:29 PM   #103
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
The guys over at WindowsPhone Central forum who have had an opportunity to get their hands on a Surface 2 (2nd gen RT) claim that the performance is not only significantly better than the RT, but also the Pro 1. So unless you have a burning need for legacy support, you might want to consider a Surface 2 (at half the price of the Pro 2).

I'm thoroughly enjoying my RT...especially running 8.1 which is a very, very nice improvement. So far the greatest downside is the poor support for capacitive stylus/finger drawing.
Well...thanks, I think. I mean, I'm genuinely appreciative of the information, I am, make no mistake. It's just making my yen much, much, worse. When I sit here and stare at all of Amazon's new HDX products, about which I'll have no choice but to buy 1, maybe 2 (for testing for my company), and add in a Surface, my wallet has a MI moment and self-destructs, without Lalo Schiffrin's theme music, bless his heart.

Thanks, WillysJeepMan--that really is excellent to know.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:23 PM   #104
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
The whole point of the Pro for me is the ability to run "real" Windows software.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:39 PM   #105
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
The whole point of the Pro for me is the ability to run "real" Windows software.
+1.
I like my Surface RT. But being able to install all my legacy stuff is an enormous advantage of Surface Pro. And if you've got a Surface Pro, there's no real argument for an additional Surface RT.
Still: Looking at the low price of Surface RT, I'm tempted to buy one in addition. No real need in addition to Surface Pro, but on the other hand it (RT) easily can compete with other tablets I might be tempted to buy...