Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 06-17-2012, 10:27 PM   #1
jdm001
Connoisseur
jdm001 is on a distinguished road

Device: Entourage Dualbook
Unhappy Eink stuck "Initializing" and library lost!

I've been using my PE with last Golden Allmine update (from a couple months ago, not the newer beta) and I've had no trouble.

I have an SD card in for storage, only one app is on there, and my TI backup files.

I used Google play and updateed a few apps, as usual. I went into hibernate.

Next day I used it, worked great, went back into hibernate and I charged the nearly dead PE while in hibernate... never had an issue doing this either.

but, this time it wouldn't wake up. I had to power on the slide switch. this has happened once or twice before whenever the people was nearly dead when I went to charge.

The issue (finally) was that it said "initializing" the whole time. When I powered on, it did blink, but it went back to initializing screen.

I tried reader, nothing happened. I opened library and it was empty!! I forgot the folder where its stored, but I did navigate and find a few pets and an epub.

I click on it, it'd say "sending to eink" but nothing would happen. It doesnt load. it doesn't work when I try to do calibrate in settings either.

Any ideas please??!
jdm001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:29 AM   #2
tekknogenius
Groupie
tekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheese

Device: Pocket Edge
You most likely will need to reflash. No other remedy really. You could always make a serial cable and see what's going on during the boot process, but you'll probably end up having to reflash. When mine did a similar thing I used the serial cable to diagnose the exact problem and saw that the data partition got corrupted, so I was able to just rebuild that, but I still ended up reflashing.

Here's a thread with someone with the same problem...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=initializing
tekknogenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2012, 07:08 PM   #3
jdm001
Connoisseur

Hmmm... what is best way to reflash it? Reinstall the last (or latest) golden ermine update? do I have to downgrade or uninstall first?
Old 06-27-2012, 09:03 AM   #4
tekknogenius
Groupie
tekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheese

Device: Pocket Edge
No need to downgrade just use any golden update file (I used the allmine).
tekknogenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:21 AM   #5
jdm001
Connoisseur

So that worked and screen worked flawlessly... for about two weeks. I came out of powering off working sink, but when I next turned it on I had the same issue.

Library is gone (I now know that all the files are still there, but the "associations" are gone in the library app, sending any file direct to eink looks like he sends it but it never refreshes. The eink is stuck on initializing, but it DOES work in that it refreshes during loading screen at bootup, but instead of going to the three icon regular on screen saver.

also, if I go to settings and then reader and try to calibrate, nothing happens either. I believe it to be software related. I've tried sleeping, rebooting, and hitting the reset button too. Nothing fixes.

Anyone know how to reset eink?
Advert
Old 07-08-2012, 01:29 AM   #6
jdm001
Connoisseur

So that worked and screen worked flawlessly... for about two weeks. I came out of powering off working sink, but when I next turned it on I had the same issue.

Library is gone (I now know that all the files are still there, but the "associations" are gone in the library app, sending any file direct to eink looks like he sends it but it never refreshes. The eink is stuck on initializing, but it DOES work in that it refreshes during loading screen at bootup, but instead of going to the three icon regular on screen saver.

also, if I go to settings and then reader and try to calibrate, nothing happens either. I believe it to be software related. I've tried sleeping, rebooting, and hitting the reset button too. Nothing fixes.

Anyone know how to reset eink?
Old 07-08-2012, 05:50 PM   #7
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
It looks as if you need to downlevel to the golden Dingo first. Make sure you have backed up anything you need first and then apply the standard Ermine update.

If that works for longer than your test period I would then think about using the allmine update.

The other thing to consider is that there may be an app you use that is somehow overwriting part of the memory the e-ink system uses. Remember these devices are not phones or standard tablets but that the e-ink subsystem is integrated into the OS an apps don't know or allow for this.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:57 PM   #8
jdm001
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanjt View Post
It looks as if you need to downlevel to the golden Dingo first. Make sure you have backed up anything you need first and then apply the standard Ermine update.

If that works for longer than your test period I would then think about using the allmine update.

The other thing to consider is that there may be an app you use that is somehow overwriting part of the memory the e-ink system uses. Remember these devices are not phones or standard tablets but that the e-ink subsystem is integrated into the OS an apps don't know or allow for this.
Ah that's a good idea... i did add a bunch of apps, and some were ereader types like Djvu reader, etc.

If i just uninstall it, would that fix it you think? Or would the memory still be blocked off? I'll check tonight to see what apps I've downloaded around the time i started having an issue.

I did suspect software, and i was thinking it was somewhere related with the virus scanner (Lookout) or some type of setting i had inadvertently changed. I'll look at the apps now.

Thanks for the tip!