Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-11-2010, 03:28 PM   #1
billyray
billyray began at the beginning.

Device: prs-950
Taking markups out of the 950 reader

Does anyone know if or how one may take underlines, highlights, notes, etc. out of the sony 950 reader onto the desktop?

So far, I can't find any info on this. When I do open files that I have marked up in the 950; either in Adobe or in the Sony Reader Library on desktop, none of the markups are there. It is just as it was when I loaded it. The folders in the 950 have a separate one for such markups, which seems frighteningly like they are only available in the context of the reader.

It seems like markup portability would be a big feature. It is for me. I really need to be able to have a marked up pdf available to me elsewhere.

Anyway, if anyone has any info or insight a response will will be much appreciated. Maybe a desktop emulator?

Thanks!

Last edited by billyray; 11-11-2010 at 03:34 PM.
billyray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 05:28 PM   #2
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
When you open the file in your Reader Library, you should be able to view your annotations. From there, you should also be able to export those annotations to an RTF file.

But you mention that when you open the file in the Reader software, your markups are not there. I never really had that problem. Are you sure you are opening the right file? For example, if you upload the file to your reader software, then transfer the file to your device, then annotate the file on your device - of course the original file, on your desktop, will not be annotated. But the file on your device should be - you should be able to open it in the reader, transfer it over to your desktop and export it to RTF, if you so desire.

Are you sure you are not simply looking at the original version, rather than the annotated one?
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2010, 09:11 PM   #3
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
billyray, you should use the Reader Library software to see your notes. First make sure that you are looking at Books loaded on your ereader and not just Books in your Library as vxf suggests. Select the book you want. Then click the arrow at the lower left corner to view the book. Once you are viewing the book, in the lower left corner you will see icons for Notes and Export to File. Click the Notes icon and you will see a list of your annotations. Double-click one of your annotations and the software will take you to that page. Click on the "Export to File" and then you can save it as an RTF on your computer.

Are you syncing your books with the Reader Library software and your device (rather than drag and drop)? If so, then I recommend you turn on "Merge all notes when syncing with your Reader device". The software treats any books you have in your hard-drive Library and books you have on your ereader as separate copies even though they are the same book title. You can make annotations in the Reader Library software or annotations on the ereader. This option makes sure your notes in the Library and on your ereader merge together during sync. That's the method I use so everything stays up-to-date.

Last edited by Bookworm_Girl; 11-11-2010 at 09:14 PM.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 03:23 PM   #4
billyray

OK, I have stopped drag and dropping, and retried newly marked documents, and you are correct, I can see the markups. Thank you both!
Now I am trying to export it as a RTF, but can't find the method. I will try to go through the directions again, but if you happen to know offhand, I would love to know the method.
If I can get this last feature to work, I will be a very happy camper.

Thanks again for your help.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:11 PM   #5
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

billyray, open the book on your ereader within the Sony Reader Library software. Look in the lower left hand corner when the book is open. You will see an icon which is a find/search box. Next to that is an icon of a notepad which is how you view your notes. Next to that is an icon with an arrow which is how you export a file. Click on the arrow icon and it will go through the steps to save the file to your hard-drive.

Also the Reader Library software has help documentation within it. Sometimes their help is good and sometimes not... Just go to the Help menu on the far right of the window menu bar and give it a try if my instructions aren't clear. Hope that helps!
Advert
Old 11-12-2010, 10:59 PM   #6
billyray

Fantastic!
Thank you so much.

I will admit that I have only poured over the directions for my 950. I should have thought to read the helps for the Reader software. I will now.
Thanks again.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:20 PM   #7
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyray View Post
Fantastic!
Thank you so much.

I will admit that I have only poured over the directions for my 950. I should have thought to read the helps for the Reader software. I will now.
Thanks again.
No problem. That's why the forum is here so people can help each other!
Old 11-13-2010, 01:00 AM   #8
billyray

Well, I tried that stuff, but...

I still don't get the document out of the reader with markups. I can get a list of markups, but not within the document context. I have tried with both .pdf and .rtf with no luck. It is a real bummer, and I don't really understand why. I own the documents. I own MS Office. I own the Adobe Suite. Why can't this work?

I guess I will just have to try to start highlighting in a way that takes better advantage of what is offered in terms of listing highlights.

Too bad, it seems such an obvious piece of the puzzle, especially since this machine ought to have decent appeal for the business and academic communities. However, if your modified document can't be used elsewhere, then a lot of that potential utility is gone.

In fact, so much so that I need to reconsider if this is really the tool I want for these purposes.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:31 AM   #9
Ken401
Addict
Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PRS-950, PRS-505, Nexus 10, Xoom
This might be the last straw for you, but I recall running into limits as to how much of the highlighted text will actually print. For example, you can highlight a whole page, but I don't think it will all print.
Ken401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 01:52 AM   #10
billyray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken401 View Post
This might be the last straw for you, but I recall running into limits as to how much of the highlighted text will actually print. For example, you can highlight a whole page, but I don't think it will all print.
Well that does suck. So you reckon that no matter how long the document, there is only so much highlighting one can get out?

Funny, I was trying to get highlights out of a rtf, and a bunch was missing. I figured it was a glitch, but it was probably exactly what you were saying.

Grumble.

Thanks for the info.
Old 11-13-2010, 03:02 AM   #11
Ken401
Addict
Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PRS-950, PRS-505, Nexus 10, Xoom
Yep. Sony puts those limits in place out of concern for copyrights, or some such legal concern. I wonder how the Ipad handles that when the printing function gets added...but that's another forum...
Ken401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 12:31 PM   #12
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyray View Post
I still don't get the document out of the reader with markups. I can get a list of markups, but not within the document context. I have tried with both .pdf and .rtf with no luck. It is a real bummer, and I don't really understand why. I own the documents. I own MS Office. I own the Adobe Suite. Why can't this work?

I guess I will just have to try to start highlighting in a way that takes better advantage of what is offered in terms of listing highlights.
I use Word and Adobe Professional for document markups too. Now I understand your frustration. You can only view your markups overlaid on the full documentation within the Sony Reader Library software. When you export to a file, the amount of document text that exports is limited for DRM-restricted books. I am sure Sony has this limitation for copyright protections.

On a document with DRM, when you export to a file, your highlights are restricted to 100 characters. Too restrictive in my opinion. I understand they don't want someone to cut-and-paste the entire document for some nefarious purpose, but it could be more than 100 characters for legitimate uses! What I do is highlight in smaller chunks and then end up editing my RTF export if I want to save a larger passage.

On a document with no DRM, your highlights are not restricted (that I have discovered), and you could export the text of an entire page if you wanted to.

I am not sure if any other ereaders do markups better? For example, my Kindle will export a larger amount of text. Not sure what the limit is but it is certainly way more than 100 characters. However, the Kindle dumps your annotations from all books into a single TXT file in the order that you made them (not good if you jump around between books). I wish they would export text to a file specific to a single book like Sony does. The Kindle also does not have software where you can view your markups over the documentation on your computer (just on your ereader only). I am not sure how Nook or other brands might do these tasks.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:32 PM   #13
billyray

DRM limitations....

The stuff I was looking at was scholarly articles that I had clear ownership of, from a computer standpoint. No protections. If what you say is universal, then perhaps I did experience a glitch of some sort, because many of my highlights appeared to be missing.

I have until mid-January to return the thing, so I will keep trying, and see what is what.

I think if I do return it I will buy the Ipad. I really prefer the ebook idea and the eink, but must have that functionality. I am pretty sure the Ipad will be able to edit documents just as any windows/mac computer would.

Anyway, thank you again for your input. This is a really great forum!
Old 11-19-2010, 09:14 PM   #14
billyray

Lightbulb Success!

OK, I think I was missing your point, Bookworm_girl. I have now found that I can export my notes and markups in the context of the page if I use the pen feature. When I highlight it only shows the section highlighted, but when I use the pen, it gives me a marked up image of the whole page along with underlines and notes. Super cool, and sufficient for what I need to do.

For me, the default markup will be underlines and bookmarks then. Highlighting is OK for making a reference, but not a contextual one.

Thanks again, and apologies for being dense.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:15 PM   #15
billyray

The other cool thing is that once it is exported, you can deal with the page images like any other, and fit them 2 to a page and still have them readable.