Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-05-2008, 05:26 PM   #1
splat
Zealot
splat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.splat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.splat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.splat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Issues importing mobi books from Fictionwise.

Has anyone else had any problems when importing books in Mobipocket format purchased from Fictionwise.

Any time I import any of the books the metadata does not get picked up correctly. One of two things happens.

1) Title is set as the letter C and the author is set as the title of the book.
2) Title is set as the letter C and the author is set correctly.

I've also notices that the detection of embedded covers is hit and miss.

In all the books, the iLiad picks up the correct metadata.

This happens with Calibre version 0.4.76 on both OS X and Windows.
splat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 10:54 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by splat View Post
Has anyone else had any problems when importing books in Mobipocket format purchased from Fictionwise.

Any time I import any of the books the metadata does not get picked up correctly. One of two things happens.
Are these secure books? If so, I don't think calibre is able to read secure ebooks.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2008, 11:00 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Are these secure books? If so, I don't think calibre is able to read secure ebooks.

BOb
That shouldn't make a difference. The file header is the same.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 08:17 AM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
That shouldn't make a difference. The file header is the same.
Yes, but FictionWise is creating the multi-format e-books. A DRMed ebook should be identical from all sources, and is created by the publisher. So if there is something systematically different about FictionWise MOBI, it could only be the multi-format ebooks.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 09:21 AM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I looked at some of my multi-format ebooks from FictionWise. The PRC version is sometimes in the old PalmDOC format, which only has the title in the header. In such cases Windows MobiPocket Reader also fails to pick up the author. Even when the PRC version is in READMOBI format, it might not include the author in its metadata. Sometimes the "Kindle Compatible (MOBI)" version is identical to the PRC version, but in other cases it is different and typically better (more metadata and a cover image). In the cases I tried, Calibre 0.4.76 picked up the same metadata as Windows MobiPocket Reader - which means that the Author is often Unknown. I only tried about half a dozen titles, so this wasn't a definitive test.

In one case, the PRC (PalmDOC) file had no metadata but it did have a copy of (some of) the original .opf file which shows up in Windows MobiPocket Reader as "eBook Info" under Contents. Interestingly, Windows MobiPocket Reader did not extract the Author from eBook Info, and still shows the author as Unknown, but FBReader did detect the internal metadata and correctly identified the author.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2008, 11:44 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Can you send me one or two of these books it is failing on (alongwith the PID so I can de-drm them and take a look).
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 03:10 PM   #7
cen
Connoisseur
cen doesn't littercen doesn't litter

Device: iRex iLiad (v1) / Sony Librie
I've noticed the same thing. Fictionwise books all have the title set as C after import. Running the books through MobiDeDRM and importing the newly created copies, so far has resulted in the meta data being read correctly for all but one book, where Calibre seems to take the file name (without .prc) as the title.

edit: this was on 0.4.77.
cen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:09 PM   #8
momghoti
Zealot
momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Bookeen
I've been having issues with importing certain Fictionwise prc ebooks as well, but for me they get a 'failed to read metadata' and the title is the file name (a bunch of letters and numbers, with no obvious meaning. I can't even figure out what the book is until I see the thumbnail.)without the .prc. I can't view the ebook via Calibre; it complains that it is DRM protected(my modification plugin seems to be ineffective). Any ideas?
momghoti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:31 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Unfortunately, I can't help you with DRM removal.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:02 AM   #10
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
I am also seeing this problem with most of the Mobipocket format ebooks I've purchased at Fictionwise. It looks to me as though these books have moved all the metadata into xml tags outside of the header. For example, when I convert this ebook from mobi to html with either the CPAN ebook package or mobi2html, I see this at the beginning of the book:

<html>
<head><dc:identifier>0803Asimovs</dc:identifier><dc:title>Asimov's SF, March 2008</dc:title><dc:
creator>Dell Magazine Authors</dc:creator><dcublisher>Dell Magazines</dcublisher><dc:rights>Copy
right &copy; 2008 by Dell Magazines</dc:rights><dc:description>Science Fiction. 69421 words long. </
dc:description><dc:language>en</dc:language><dc:type>Novel</dc:type><dc:format>text/xml</dc:format><
dc:subject>Science Fiction</dc:subject></head>
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:56 AM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

calibre does detect internal mobi metadata.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:59 PM   #12
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think the problem is that Calibre is looking for the metadata in a <meta> element block, but Fictionwise is putting them into a <head> element block.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:30 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

yes calibre requires the metadata to be put inside a <metadata> element. The <metadata> element itself can be anywhere, including in the <head>,but it must be present.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:07 AM   #14
bgalbrecht
Wizard

So if the metadata tag is missing, what's the best way to go about adding it?
Old 02-22-2010, 02:35 AM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

There isn't one. You could deconstruct, edit and rebuild the file, but it's easier to just enter the metadata by hand in calibre.