Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-12-2011, 04:19 PM   #1
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
Switching from Kindle DX US to Kindle Touch?

I'm thinking about selling my Kindle DX US (white, the first DX) and buying the Kindle Touch Wifi with special offers.

In your opinion, is the upgrade to the Touch worth giving up the screen size of the DX.

The Touch has the touch interface and the latest software. It also has a better screen. However, it doesn't have the 3G of my DX and the screen is half the size. However, I very rarely even use the 3G and the larger size is really only a real benefit if I'm reading PDFs, which I also very rarely do. So, it seems that I have the more expensive and heavier DX when I don't value the benefits that much.

I should be able to sell my DX with leather cover for around $199 and I can buy the Touch for $99.

I'm leaning toward getting the Touch. What are your thoughts?
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 06:26 PM   #2
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I suggest you order the touch, and then sell your DX after you are satisfied with the touch.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2011, 08:06 AM   #3
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbot View Post
I'm thinking about selling my Kindle DX US (white, the first DX) and buying the Kindle Touch Wifi with special offers.

In your opinion, is the upgrade to the Touch worth giving up the screen size of the DX.

The Touch has the touch interface and the latest software. It also has a better screen. However, it doesn't have the 3G of my DX and the screen is half the size. However, I very rarely even use the 3G and the larger size is really only a real benefit if I'm reading PDFs, which I also very rarely do. So, it seems that I have the more expensive and heavier DX when I don't value the benefits that much.

I should be able to sell my DX with leather cover for around $199 and I can buy the Touch for $99.

I'm leaning toward getting the Touch. What are your thoughts?
The touch screen is the same. Perhaps, won't know until it comes out, it could even be a little worse as some people have found in comparing the Kindle NT with their old Kindle 3s. I ordered a touch but am keeping my DX. For the money I would get I'd rather keep it as a second reader.

Good luck.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 11:40 AM   #4
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
The touch screen is the same. Perhaps, won't know until it comes out, it could even be a little worse as some people have found in comparing the Kindle NT with their old Kindle 3s. I ordered a touch but am keeping my DX. For the money I would get I'd rather keep it as a second reader.

Good luck.
I have the first Kindle DX White so it is the older screen, not the one on the graphite DX.

I was thinking about selling it first because I thought that if I wait for the Touch then a lot of people are going to be selling their old readers during that time....although a lot more people will be Christmas shopping also.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:11 PM   #5
tadhgadams
tadhgadams began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad mini 4
I found myself happy replacing my Kindle DXG with a Kindle Wi-Fi SO this summer. I found the little that I missed the screen size was off-set by how much more I like the lightness and easier portability of the K3.
tadhgadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2011, 11:06 AM   #6
markbot
Guru

Amazon just discounted the Kindle DX Graphite to $259. So I guess I lucked out in that I sold my older Kindle DX White (US 3g) 2 weeks ago for $195. If I had waited I definitely wouldn't have gotten $195.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:58 AM   #7
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Amazon just discounted the Kindle DX Graphite to $259. So I guess I lucked out in that I sold my older Kindle DX White (US 3g) 2 weeks ago for $195. If I had waited I definitely wouldn't have gotten $195.
That worked out well for you, not the other person.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 01:25 PM   #8
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Ha. Lucky turn for you! I wonder if the other party is kicking themselves in the read end for going for it.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote