Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 09-18-2009, 04:37 PM   #1
Heather Parker
Nameless Being

Middlewitch by Heather Parker

Please could I introduce my humorous fantasy, Middlewitch, which has just been published by Drollerie Press? I should perhaps add that none of the characters bear any resemblance to my friends and neighbours in the English Lake District. There has never been a hint of witchcraft in my village, in spite of what some in the Mothers' Union might say...

Middlewitch

Being a witch isn’t always easy. Alicia Meldrew has managed to learn love potions with only one real mistake, and that was hardly her fault.
Take dating, for instance. As Alicia herself puts it, how does one even bring it up? “Hobbies? Yes, I usually practise the black arts on Mondays, Thursdays and every other weekend. You?”
Alicia is a young witch with a mission: to protect the citizens of Middlewitch, a sleepy little hamlet consisting mostly of a church, a senior citizen’s home, a pub, and two constables. You’d think such a small town wouldn’t have problems with dark forces, but you’d be wrong.
With the help of her cats, the Women’s Institute, and the Vicar,
Alicia faces down demons, vampires, an American…and even the City. She finally has a boyfriend, but is she really able to share her life with James? And if she can, is she strong enough to get on with his mother?

It is multiformat and can be purchased at Drollerie Press: http://drolleriepress.com/books
Amazon Kindle:
http://www.amazon.com/Middlewitch-ebook/dp/B002J256BU
Fictionwise:
http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/b9...r-Parker/?si=0
Mobipocket:
http://www.mobipocket.com/en/eBooks/...?BookID=186486

Read a review of Middlewitch on The Long and the Short of It
http://longandshortreviews.blogspot....er-parker.html
To learn more about me and read some of my free stories, please visit:
http://www.heatherparker.co.uk/
Middlewitch Excerpt - the full first chapter is available at Drollerie Press.

Thanks! Heather
Old 09-18-2009, 05:14 PM   #2
MichaelFStewart
Where tech and story meet
MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Hi, Heather, welcome to mobilereads!

This is a wonderful place for readers and authors alike.
MichaelFStewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 05:17 PM   #3
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
I was thinking of buying Middlewitch yesterday, but for some reason the blurb on Fictionwise made it look like the main character is younger than she is. Might have to reconsider...
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 06:06 AM   #4
Heather Parker
Nameless Being

Hi Michael! Yes, this looks like a great site for everyone who loves reading.

Am - Alicia, the heroine, is twenty-two if that helps. (Oh, just realised you're from the UK too. I'm from up in the Lakes.)
Old 09-19-2009, 10:24 AM   #5
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Thanks Heather - it does!

I haven't been up to the Lakes in years - I am just slightly envious of you living in such a beautiful place!
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 11:08 AM   #6
Kevin Gerard
Kevin Gerard
Kevin Gerard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin Gerard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin Gerard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin Gerard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin Gerard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin Gerard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin Gerard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin Gerard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin Gerard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin Gerard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin Gerard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Tasty Tidbit

Heather!

Nice little tidbit introducing the characters of Middlewitch. Sounds very intriguing, especially the familiars. Can't wait to see what they get into - COOL!
Kevin Gerard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 03:09 PM   #7
Heather Parker
Nameless Being

Thanks Kevin! Nice getting to know everyone here.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:40 PM   #8
Heather Parker
Nameless Being

I promise not to do a second post about Middlewitch - just one little add on to this introductory one. Kelly Jensen reviewed my book for SFCrowsnest and mentioned waiting for "the next instalment". I've just had a talk with Drollerie Press and it looks like a sequel might happen. I was excited about this - now I just have to write it!
Review at SF Crowsnest:
http://www.sfcrowsnest.com/articles/...ker--14256.php
Not another word from me about Middlewitch - I promise!
Old 09-29-2009, 02:27 AM   #9
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather Parker View Post
I promise not to do a second post about Middlewitch - just one little add on to this introductory one. Kelly Jensen reviewed my book for SFCrowsnest and mentioned waiting for "the next instalment". I've just had a talk with Drollerie Press and it looks like a sequel might happen. I was excited about this - now I just have to write it!
Review at SF Crowsnest:
Hi Heather and welcome to our very friendly community!

As to not mentioning Middlewitch anymore... Why not? Take pride in your work! And shameless plugging IS allowed around here! As long as one mentions the fact that it IS shameless plugging

Love your fuzzy avatar btw! Japanese Spitz?
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 02:32 AM   #10
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather Parker View Post
Review at SF Crowsnest:
Yay! Nice work! And welcome, too
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 02:35 AM   #11
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Hi, Heather and welcome to MR!!

It is always nice to have authors participate in the forums. Jump in, ask questions, and let us get to know you.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 03:08 AM   #12
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
This sounds VERY good!!
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 03:43 AM   #13
AJW
Compulsive Book Collector
AJW began at the beginning.

Device: COOL-ER, iPhone3G
Sounds like a good read!

And multiformat - fantastic!
AJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 05:47 AM   #14
Laine
Addict
Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, Voyage
I bought Middlewitch and read it before I saw your post. (from Fictionwise I think)

I enjoyed it very much. And I'd definitely buy a sequel.

There's not enough humour in the world. Of course, the problem is that not evertone finds the same things funny.

In some ways Middlewitch reminded me of Mary Janice Davidson's Undead series - but English flavoured.
Laine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:05 AM   #15
Heather Parker
Nameless Being

This really is a VERY friendly and welcoming community - thanks everyone! The avatar is my own Japanese Spitz puppy who is now 5 months old and very gentle and sweet. (The cats in the book, Tango and Domino, are also mine - two little ginger and white feral kittens we adopted.)
Thanks again,
Heather