Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 04-19-2010, 01:46 PM   #1
sarah11918
Edge User

Has anyone flown with their edge yet?

Just wondering about any airport experiences. As it is, hubby and I travel with a Macbook each, a tablet PC and now we'll have the edge. Of course, *his* carry on laptop back only holds one laptop (and is full of cables and other stuff so he can't fit another one in) which normally leaves me having to go through security taking out and managing 2 laptops. I'm definitely going to need a strategy if they treat this like a laptop and now I have to get 3 through security.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:50 PM   #2
alefor
Edge User

I flew with two eDGe's (as well as 5 iPads and a laptop) a few weeks ago. I just treated the eDGe's like laptops and put them each in a bin (Yes, I had 10 bins going thru security that day). Of course, since the iPad came out (and right after I flew with five), the TSA said that they dont have to come out of the luggage. My advice would be to treat the eDGe like a laptop. The TSA folks are not to be toyed with in my opinion.

Advert
Old 04-19-2010, 08:28 PM   #3
sarah11918
Edge User

Oh, we're well acquainted with the TSA, and in fact, we gladly pay hundred of dollars more to avoid connections through the US. I sometimes get funny looks with 2 laptops (I tell them I need a mac and a PC), but I'm hoping having 3 (including the edge) doesn't arouse too much suspicion. But, I can say, "Mac, PC and e-reader" right?

Old 04-19-2010, 08:44 PM   #4
kenjennings
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah11918 View Post
Oh, we're well acquainted with the TSA, and in fact, we gladly pay hundred of dollars more to avoid connections through the US. I sometimes get funny looks with 2 laptops (I tell them I need a mac and a PC), but I'm hoping having 3 (including the edge) doesn't arouse too much suspicion. But, I can say, "Mac, PC and e-reader" right?
Once I went through security with two laptops, a tablet, an eReader, and a PDA. They were rather amused by that. I think even more entertained by how fast I could get it all back into one bag.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:53 PM   #5
omagedon
Edge User

Well, I went on a flight to Ft. Lauderdale. The first time, the agent asked me what it was LOL told them it was a tablet heheh...

BTW, you should be careful with this device.... after it went through the scanners the battery showed ?, says on the settings Battery Status "Unknown". I rebooted a few times after that and it still said that so I left it off for a few days and when I booted it up. It showed me a regular status again. When, I came back it didn't do anything wierd though.

Last edited by omagedon; 04-19-2010 at 11:08 PM.

Advert
Old 04-20-2010, 06:45 PM   #6
sarah11918
Edge User

Good to know re: battery status wonk. Was the device powered on or off while it went through the scanner?

Old 04-20-2010, 06:58 PM   #7
omagedon
Edge User

It was powered off, after it went through the scanner they asked me to turn it on which I did and it showed the ? mark on the battery.

Old 06-15-2010, 05:49 PM   #8
Gunnerp245
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by omagedon View Post
It was powered off, after it went through the scanner they asked me to turn it on which I did and it showed the ? mark on the battery.
Any further symptoms?

Old 06-15-2010, 05:57 PM   #9
summatusmentis
Edge User

I've got through security with two laptops, a tablet, a pda, two camera bodies, 2 external HDs, and multiple lenses. I'm fairly certain "too much technology" doesn't register you as a terrorist on their radars (now, I'm a young white male who is a US citizen, so might be different for others). The only time I've ever had trouble was when their x-ray couldn't see though everything I had in my bag, and they wanted to go through it by hand.

In the scenario above, I believe I pulled the two laptops and the tablet into their trays, and left everything else in the bag.

Old 06-15-2010, 06:31 PM   #10
walt526
Edge User

My personal experience has been that even unusual tech devices, particularly the smaller ones, really don't attract much attention from TSA. Possibly because they don't want to look stupid asking what a particular device is for.

I've traveled with a laptop, netbook, and a portable GPS system and never had any problems (not an eDGe yet). But they are basically minimum wage mall cops (i.e., poorly trained and educated who couldn't get a real job in law enforcement), so who knows what will set them off.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:59 PM   #11
sarah11918
Edge User

Well, I've flown a few times now and no, the device hasn't received any attention. The thing that garners the most attention when I travel? These spring-loaded, collapsable travel cups. (Not an affiliate link - just a link to the product.) I've been stopped twice for these.

Old 06-16-2010, 06:27 PM   #12
Gunnerp245
Edge User

@sarah11918...The thing that garners the most The thing that garners the most attention when I travel? These spring-loaded, collapsable travel cups. (Not an affiliate link - just a link to the product.) I've been stopped twice for these.

What is the fascination with them? What do they sk?

Old 06-16-2010, 07:21 PM   #13
sarah11918
Edge User

They don't know what they are. I don't know whether the spring insides are metal, and so they just see coils of metal in the scanner or what. But, when they're closed, if you don't know what they are you'd never guess what they are. They just look like disks.

They ask what they are, and I have to tell them how to open them. (Because obviously I'm traveling with them closed, as is the space-saving intention.)

Old 06-16-2010, 07:56 PM   #14
ckole
Edge User

All the pilots I fly with and show them the device love it. They wish the company would furnish them to us so we could go electronic with our manuals etc. Of course as soon as something has to be FAA approved it will cost 100 times more and take 10 years. So for now I lug it around as a back up to what is required in paper format. The dual book format really shines when you are viewing approach plates, for example, on the eink screen and the TOC on the other side for quick access. My wish list is thinner, faster, better battery life. The last software update was a huge help however. Sadly I have been working way to much to be active on the forums. My flight home, not working, is 3 hours delayed so I am killing time. Boy I hate flying!

Old 06-17-2010, 08:25 AM   #15
drsteve
Edge User

There's a video on youtube, which gives an idea of viewing approach plates on the eDGe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih9vSWRA3Fc

I think as long as paper backups were always available, the FAA should approve these. Probably wouldn't need quite such a big Jeppesen bag but of course the big hat is still mandatory !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3hzq2B4pDQ indicates how the eDGe whould just whip the Kindle DX in terms of selecting plates quickly using the lcd. Navigating the DX using the thumb joystick looks a bit clunky.

Applications like this are where the eDGe will shine. A lot of people don't 'get' the eDGe. I think viewing the above two YT vids shows the potential.

Last edited by drsteve; 06-17-2010 at 08:48 AM.