Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-11-2008, 01:16 PM   #1
crusader666
Enthusiast
crusader666 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505; EB-1150
What happened with ManyBooks.net?

I did a search before posting this, so hopefully it is not a duplicate.

I subscribe to the ManyBooks.net RSS news feed and there have been no feeds for 4 days! This morning, I tried going directly to their web site, but received "URL NOT FOUND" error.

Does anyone know what's going on?

Thanks.
crusader666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 01:18 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Looks like they're having server problems. Yesterday it said "site down for repair". Today it's not there at all.

Hopefully they'll be back soon.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 03:23 PM   #3
crusader666
Enthusiast
crusader666 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505; EB-1150
Glad to confirm that I'm not the only one, since oftentimes browsers can do funny things.

They and MobileRead (in my opinion) have some of the best fonts in their eBooks for the visually impaired for the Sony 505.
crusader666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 02:07 AM   #4
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Back now. Blame a hard drive failure, missing backup, and extra work at the site owner's real life job for the outage.
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 03:05 PM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
Back now. Blame a hard drive failure, missing backup, and extra work at the site owner's real life job for the outage.
I think this is something that should be expected from time to time. The free and inexpensive web sites are due to passion and their owners have to have a real job to make ends meet. We should be grateful and not up in arms every time one of them drops out for a day or so.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 05:21 PM   #6
madelonw
Enthusiast
madelonw began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle with Special Offers, iPad 2
I was able to d/l books yesterday (after 4 PM) but today I only see the titles on pages. I kinda figured it must be down for maintenance. I do hope it comes back soon

Love,
Mad
madelonw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 06:25 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Yes, the site is up and working fine.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 11:10 PM   #8
Jaime_Astorga
Member Retired
Jaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS-350-SC: Sony Reader Pocket Edition
Was anything lost?
Jaime_Astorga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:38 AM   #9
madelonw
Enthusiast
madelonw began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle with Special Offers, iPad 2
I'm glad they're back up
madelonw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:35 AM   #10
Trilby
Enthusiast
Trilby has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Trilby has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Trilby has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Trilby has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
Manybooks is down, been a day or 2 now.
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 08:15 AM   #11
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilby View Post
Manybooks is down, been a day or 2 now.
I've seen spotty access over the past couple of days. I'd guess hosting issues.
______
Dennis
Old 11-06-2009, 12:18 PM   #12
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I think this is something that should be expected from time to time. The free and inexpensive web sites are due to passion and their owners have to have a real job to make ends meet. We should be grateful and not up in arms every time one of them drops out for a day or so.
This is the reason why I do, occasionally, donate to Manybooks. Hopefully others who 'depend' on the site do the same?
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 12:51 PM   #13
Trilby
Enthusiast
Trilby has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Trilby has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Trilby has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Trilby has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
It's BACK!!! YAY! I donated,...but I think I'll do it on a regular basis as I love that site!
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 05:40 PM   #14
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Wow that site is great, I had never seen it before so them going down was a good thing for me

Just going through the banned book category now, which is kind of interesting (http://manybooks.net/categories/BAN) I haven't read a few of those so I'll have a few more additions to the to-read list.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 05:57 PM   #15
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
Wow that site is great, I had never seen it before so them going down was a good thing for me

Just going through the banned book category now, which is kind of interesting (http://manybooks.net/categories/BAN) I haven't read a few of those so I'll have a few more additions to the to-read list.
Most of what is hosted on Manybooks is public domain stuff from Project Gutenberg. But Matt McClintock, the site owner, also hosts stuff issued under the Creative Commons license, and pushes Manybooks as a distribution site for people working in that area. I've pointed a couple of folks at Manybooks as a way to get broader distribution.
______
Dennis