Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-22-2010, 07:35 AM   #1
:D ominik
Groupie
:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook
How to solve problems while registering your nook

If you got some issues registering your nook outside US using WiFi, the reason is most likely a totally wrong date and time setting. Here's your solution:

1. Get root-access to your nook as explained here: http://nookdevs.com/Softroot

2. Install Busybox: http://nookdevs.com/Busybox

3. Set your system time:
Code:
adb shell /data/local/busybox date MMDDhhmmYYYY.ss
Example: if you want to set it to 2010-01-22 13:59:27 you will use
Code:
adb shell /data/local/busybox date 012213592010.27
4. Set your hardware clock using system time (otherwise your setting get lost after reboot):
Code:
adb shell /data/local/busybox hwclock -w
5. Now you should be able to successfully register your nook.

Bye, Dominik
:D ominik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 07:43 AM   #2
:D ominik
Groupie
:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook
Just a notice:

After downgrading to 1.0.0 you most likely won't be able to connect WiFi. The WiFi credentials you've entered in 1.1.1 are saved in the system, but not available to 1.0.0 and you get an error message while trying to enter new credentials. So you need to sideload the 1.1.1 Firmware.

1. Download from B&N: http://images.barnesandnoble.com/pre...avo_update.dat

3. Sideload the update by putting it on the root of your nook's internal sd card.

4. Eject your nooks drives (Eject means Eject from right-click menu in explorer, not "Save Removal" from the taskbar)
:D ominik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2010, 10:33 AM   #3
ttnews
ttnews began at the beginning.

Device: none
It works!!!

Thx
--ttnews
ttnews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:24 PM   #4
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Thanks for your wonderful tip. I did downgrade my Nook to 1.0.0 and confirm that my Nook can't see my home wifi and I cannot add a new one. I revert to 1.1.1 without going further for rooting.

Just wonder whether I can download book samples from my Nook after I registered it? (I'm in Bangkok, Thailand; does B&N block non-US/Europe IP even for book sample download?). If not, there is no point doing all of this.

Last edited by bthoven; 01-31-2010 at 10:33 PM.
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:02 AM   #5
mos
Addict
mos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it is

Device: iphone 4, iPad, Nook softrooted
You can download the samples. You cannot download free books and you cannot buy via the Nook.
If you want to buy or get a free book, you have to use your pc/mac and buy them via vpn connection. Once they are in your library, you can download them via Nook
mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2010, 02:23 AM   #6
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Thanks mos...I'll wait for next firmware from B&N. If it does not solve the registration problem via wifi, I'll definitely go ahead with the rooting (provided that it is still possible under the new firmware!).

I already use alwaysvpn to purchase a few books and side (bottom!) load them to my Nook.

Last edited by bthoven; 02-01-2010 at 02:25 AM.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:03 PM   #7
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by bthoven View Post
Thanks mos...I'll wait for next firmware from B&N. If it does not solve the registration problem via wifi, I'll definitely go ahead with the rooting (provided that it is still possible under the new firmware!).
I can confirm that with the new 1.2 firmware registration does work now (in the Netherlands). Time is also set correctly now (you can change the time zone in settings).
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 01:34 PM   #8
bthoven
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
I can confirm that with the new 1.2 firmware registration does work now (in the Netherlands). Time is also set correctly now (you can change the time zone in settings).
Yes, I confirm too!