Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-18-2012, 03:00 AM   #196
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
You freely can divide the screen estate between any 2 apps: There's a slider at the edge of the first app you "pull down". You can move this slider freely. The next app then takes the rest of the screen. 50:50, 25:75, 75:25 or whatever you want.
I can't locate any slider. And if I slide the divider between the apps it always goes to a fixed position, either 75:25 or 25:75.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:11 AM   #197
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
I can't locate any slider. And if I slide the divider between the apps it always goes to a fixed position, either 75:25 or 25:75.
I have the same, do you hold down a key while sliding to a different setting?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2012, 03:24 AM   #198
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
I have the same, do you hold down a key while sliding to a different setting?
I'm sorry. It seems you're right.
I thought I had divided the screen 50:50 once or twice. But I couldn't repeat it now. When testing now, I only found 75:25 or 25:75.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:10 AM   #199
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think you need some utility to do that, but that utility is geo-restricted to the US.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:24 AM   #200
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
... I think I will go with an Ultrabook anyway - right now, I am lying on the couch, typing. Don't think that would work with the Surface Pro. (A little bit of rationalization, because I want a new computer now.)
keep us posted.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2012, 06:44 AM   #201
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
I think you need some utility to do that, but that utility is geo-restricted to the US.
So far I haven't seen any geo-restrictions?
There are geo-specific apps, like Zinio for example.
But if you change your location to the US on the desktop, you can access the US store.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:35 AM   #202
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
if you go into the desktop you can have two programs snapped to half screen side by side. i.e. word next to one note. then you can also have one of the modern full screen apps snapped to the side effectively giving you three apps side by side. i wouldnt use it this way myself except maybe to have a play list running on the left or right but it can be done.

what video format do you want to play that you cant play natively? there are a couple apps now that have pretty much everything covered. one of them is "powerdvd mobile" plays mkv etc.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:33 AM   #203
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

The difference is that on the desktop you also have s more courted environment, but in the Metro environment you have a cleaner look.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:27 PM   #204
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
if you go into the desktop you can have two programs snapped to half screen side by side. i.e. word next to one note. then you can also have one of the modern full screen apps snapped to the side effectively giving you three apps side by side. i wouldnt use it this way myself except maybe to have a play list running on the left or right but it can be done.

what video format do you want to play that you cant play natively? there are a couple apps now that have pretty much everything covered. one of them is "powerdvd mobile" plays mkv etc.
PowerDVD mobile is not available for ARM processors yet.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:29 PM   #205
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
I ordered a Dell Latitude 10 with an Intel processor running Widows 8 Pro today. It'll be a couple of weeks as it's in "pre production" now, but I'll be sure to post a review when I've had a little time to play. Since this is the MS Surface thread, perhaps I'll open a new one.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:24 PM   #206
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
I ordered a Dell Latitude 10 with an Intel processor running Widows 8 Pro today. It'll be a couple of weeks as it's in "pre production" now, but I'll be sure to post a review when I've had a little time to play. Since this is the MS Surface thread, perhaps I'll open a new one.
The CNET preview I saw made it look awfully interesting. Even more interesting, I spec'ed out a useful config for US$700.
Definitely interested in a real-world user review.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:10 PM   #207
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
The CNET preview I saw made it look awfully interesting. Even more interesting, I spec'ed out a useful config for US$700.
Definitely interested in a real-world user review.
2-cell battery? Now that seems awfully small, the 4-cell is another $79. And you should get at least 4GB of RAM but there seems to be no such option. And the stylus capability is extra, Office is not included. I would wait to see what others bring to the table.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:24 AM   #208
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
PowerDVD mobile is not available for ARM processors yet.
oh? I'm sure i saw it in the store on the Surface. Ill check again tomorrow. sorry if I've got that wrong.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:26 AM   #209
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
oh? I'm sure i saw it in the store on the Surface. Ill check again tomorrow. sorry if I've got that wrong.
That is probably a small step, just recompiling. I didn't see it in the US store on the Surface, but on my PC it showed up "for x86, x64".
Old 11-20-2012, 06:23 AM   #210
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
2-cell battery? Now that seems awfully small, the 4-cell is another $79.
Depends on the intended use, no?
If price and weight is more important than battery life (at-home reading, for example) 2-cell might suffice.
Plus, the battery is removable so *both* is a viable option.
(And the version I configured had the stylus. Mandatory for me, maybe not so for others.)
However they may have fallen in recent years, Dell's still relevant and their a-la-carte configurations is one reason.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote