Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-26-2011, 06:38 AM   #1
riki
riki began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Search filters: accented characters not matching plain ones

I've searched these forums to find a previous answer to this question; I suppose there must be one, and if so I apologize for wasting everybody's time, but I couldn't find it.

My problem: Calibre's filter/search doesn't match accented characters to their plain equivalents. In other words, when searching for "le carre" it won't find "le Carré"; same with "asa" vs. "Åsa" etc.

This would be a nice option to have: the database would contain the correct spelling ("le Carré"), while searches for a simplified text ("le carre") would return the intended results even when the user doesn't know/remember the correct diacritics or can't enter them anyway because in lack of a proper localized keyboard (Scandinavian letters such as 'ð', 'å' and 'ø' being the most troublesome for me in particular).

Does Calibre have such an option already?
riki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 06:52 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
authors:~carr.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2011, 07:18 AM   #3
riki

Wow, Kovid - incredibly quick as usual, thanks!

Your suggestion works, but it requires the user to remember that there is a problem with unusual characters in that search string and use a wildchard to circumvent it. It would still be nice to have a solution that works even when the user types a less-than-exact spelling of the search term, as could happen with Nordic names and other names where the simplified spelling is widespread - such as "Indriðason/Indridason", "Åsa/Asa", "Nesbø/Nesbo", "Miéville/Mieville".
Old 11-26-2011, 07:32 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/879729
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 07:38 AM   #5
riki

Aha - so the issue had come up already.
Sorry I couldn't find the message in the bug tracker myself.
Thanks for the quick and exhaustive reply!
Advert