Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-15-2011, 03:25 PM   #1
Kaaihn
Kaaihn began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
Multiple device software?

Hi,

I have a large collection of non-drm ePub and pdf books. I usually read them on my iPad, but I want to also be able to read them on a new android tablet I now have.

I know the kindle and nook apps allow for synched support across devices, but they dont appear to allow that for manually added books; it only works for books purchases from their respective stores. I'm looking for a book reading app that will allow me to open it on various devices and open to the same book and page for books I load into the app.

Does anyone know if such an app or solution exists? I have no problem converting to other formats if necessary.

Thanks!
Kaaihn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 04:07 PM   #2
mountain_lion
Addict
mountain_lion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mountain_lion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mountain_lion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mountain_lion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mountain_lion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mountain_lion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mountain_lion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mountain_lion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mountain_lion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mountain_lion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mountain_lion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: fbreader, Kindle
I have an Android tablet too. I downloaded two applications the Kindle and the FBreader. I found out the some of the books I downloaded for the Kindle can be opened on the FBreader too. You have to go to the File Explorer and look for the book, tap the file for a few seconds and the device will ask in what format you want to open it. You will select text and the tablet will give you the FBreader option. Not all the books can be opened.
mountain_lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2011, 06:03 PM   #3
Hatgirl
Addict
Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-T2, Kindle (7th Gen)
Sounds like you want IbisReader
http://ibisreader.com/
Hatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:56 AM   #4
Kaaihn

Ibisreader looks like a nice way to centralize a repository to make the book available to grab to any device, and I'll end up using it for that. It doesn't do what I am actually looking for though.

What I am looking for really is the kindle whispersync function but that works with books I already own not from amazon.

Any apps out there for multiple devices that allow you to upload your own content which then gets synched automatically to the app on any device when you open it? Reading in the browser doesn't cut it. Ibis reader looks terrible on the iPad, and I don't want to have to have Internet connectivity all the time to use it (I read on planes very often).

I'm actually amazed amazon and barnes and noble are not allowing this. If I used their app for reading, I would use their store for purchasing. Guess they don't want me to buy from them unless I have purchased their hardware.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:02 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaaihn View Post
What I am looking for really is the kindle whispersync function but that works with books I already own not from amazon.
There is a work around that adds this capability for your own ebooks. The trick is to add an Amazon ASIN to the metadata. It can be any ASIN, but a good choice is the paper version of the same book. See Wiki: Kindle Sync with non-Amazon eBooks on Windows.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2011, 04:16 PM   #6
Kaaihn

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
There is a work around that adds this capability for your own ebooks. The trick is to add an Amazon ASIN to the metadata. It can be any ASIN, but a good choice is the paper version of the same book. See Wiki: Kindle Sync with non-Amazon eBooks on Windows.
Thanks Wallcraft! As far as I can tell though, you cannot manually load books to the Kindle app on iPad or Android. The instructions specifically say you must transfer the book to the device via USB after you add the ASIN for this to work.

Any workarounds you know of to add the ASIN and get the books to show up on an iPad or Android in the Kindle app?
Old 01-16-2011, 04:53 PM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaaihn View Post
Thanks Wallcraft! As far as I can tell though, you cannot manually load books to the Kindle app on iPad or Android. The instructions specifically say you must transfer the book to the device via USB after you add the ASIN for this to work.
The instructions probably mean that you can't install by e-mailing to Amazon, which isn't at option for the iPad or Android anyway. The latest iPad Kindle app can sideload via Safari and Mail or file sharing in iTunes. For the Android Kindle app you do still need to sideload via usb (Will converted epub whispersync between Kindle 3 and Android app?).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:03 PM   #8
Kaaihn

I didn't think to check the file import in iTunes for the Kindle app. Works great, now I can device swap at whim and have it auto sync and jump to latest page read.

Thank you very much!

The one problem I'm seeing is with books that don't exist on Amazon as an ebook. I have quite a few that someone converted from paperback. Even though I see the paperback on the Amazon store with copies for sale by individuals, there is no ASIN.

I can assign a random ASIN from another book and get the book to sync pages. The only oddity is that the cover art displayed in the app is that of the ASIN assigned. Is there a way you know of to override that cover art but keep the ASIN so the furthest page still syncs?