Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-16-2010, 09:27 AM   #1
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Nook Color Reviews

Worth reading for anyone interested in ereaders (even eink purists like me)

Gizmodo:

http://gizmodo.com/5690672/barnes--n...een-two-worlds

Engadget:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/16/nook-color-review/

Cnet:

http://reviews.cnet.com/e-book-reade...carouselMain.0
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:55 AM   #2
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
Thanks so much. I was about to post a thread for the Engadget review. After watching the video I am more convinced than ever this is the best reading LCD device for me. Just waiting on 11/19!
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2010, 10:23 AM   #3
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Thanks for the links. But now I just find myself more confused than ever!
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:15 PM   #4
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I would say that the reviews are pretty lukewarm.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:27 PM   #5
DuncanWatson
Kindle Convert
DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook (all)
The HW is good, the main features are good and the SW is slow. It nearly copies the original nook release state exactly. The SW on the nook classic improved greatly within months. I suspect we will see the same thing on the Nook Color.

My expectations have been met and I will be happy with my device assuming the review is correct.
DuncanWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2010, 01:57 PM   #6
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Nook Color now runs on a pre-release version of Android 2.1. B&N has already promised an update to Android 2.2 early next year. That update will add Flash support, and I assume that 2.2 will also give the performance a boost.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 02:00 PM   #7
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I really want to see reviews from clueless consumers--people who don't have experience with smart phones and tablets and Android and are just jumping in for the first time. (As I am thinking of doing!)
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 02:09 PM   #8
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
None of the reviews say if it cleared the biggest hurdle between me and a Nook Classic, though... that of the way they treat files you sideload, and files you buy from BN. If they still separate them, as on the Nook Classic, then it won't work for me. It just says, "it's easy to grab and load your own epubs"...not how they're categorized or organized once you do. ColdSun, please, when you get yours would you keep this question in mind for me?

Thanks And I'm looking forward to your review.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 02:16 PM   #9
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuncanWatson View Post
The HW is good, the main features are good and the SW is slow. It nearly copies the original nook release state exactly. The SW on the nook classic improved greatly within months. I suspect we will see the same thing on the Nook Color.

My expectations have been met and I will be happy with my device assuming the review is correct.

hmm Cnet seemed to think the software respone was good, I'm wonder if Engadget is just pitting it against the iPad which in that case everything will seem to lag.

also PC Mag also liked the UI and the response of the nook color.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 02:16 PM   #10
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

here's another Prof review to add to the list.

got 4 out 5 and EC

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2371554,00.asp
Old 11-16-2010, 02:31 PM   #11
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
None of the reviews say if it cleared the biggest hurdle between me and a Nook Classic, though... that of the way they treat files you sideload, and files you buy from BN. If they still separate them, as on the Nook Classic, then it won't work for me. It just says, "it's easy to grab and load your own epubs"...not how they're categorized or organized once you do. ColdSun, please, when you get yours would you keep this question in mind for me?

Will do, and that feature is very important to me as well. How do you sideload on a standard Nook now and where does it put them (do you need to create a folder on your SD card like you need to when importing on Aldiko for Android?)? To be honest, I am very happy they didn't put animated page turning into the book reading application!

From the Engadget video I am not sure why they think it is sluggish. Compared to almost all Android tablets or readers I've seen so far, it has the best looking UI and higher performance I've seen yet - except for the Samsung Galaxy Tab (which is double the price).

Last edited by ColdSun; 11-16-2010 at 02:37 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:40 PM   #12
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I would say that the reviews are pretty lukewarm.
I don't about that, I mean Cnet gave it 4 out 5 stars an "Excellent"
Engadget gave it 7 out of 10 liked the functionality and the features.

I would def say the reviews have been aboe luke warm.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:46 PM   #13
MsCG1
Zealot
MsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Nook Classic, NookColor, HTC Rezound, Sony PRS-505, ICS Touchpad
Using an Android device, there was a noticeable difference in speed when going from 2.1 to 2.2, and also a slight increase in battery life. I'm expecting the same with the Nook Color.

I think Engadget unfairly dinged the NC for the lack of an app store, and running 2.1. Really, it probably should have gotten an 8, but this is Engadget we're talking about.
MsCG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 02:54 PM   #14
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post

There is one library view for all books, see this post on the Nook Color board:
http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/...717595#U717595
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 02:57 PM   #15
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
There is one library view for all books, see this post on the Nook Color board:
http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/...717595#U717595
Thanks much for that information!