Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > BBeB/LRF Books

Notices

Old 09-08-2007, 02:59 PM   #1
phrodod
Enthusiast
phrodod began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Tolstoy, Leo: Anna Karenina, v1.6 12 Sept 2007

I noticed that this one was missing from the downloads site, and wanted to play with a new method of generating lrf files. I took the PG version and changed the markup to match Restructured Text (rst) format that comes with Python's DocUtils module. I then used rst2html to convert it to HTML, then html2lrf to make a reader format. All told, it took me about an hour for the first time.

I expect future books would go much faster.

The only problem I'm having is that the Table of Contents (TOC) generated by html2lrf gets confused, but the TOC generated by rst2html works well. It's just inside the first pages of the book.

(Note: Starting with v1.1, I've separated the parts into separate files, so the reader version of the TOC for the book now just contains a list of the parts. Inside each part, there's a separate TOC for just that part.)

The zip file attached contains the rst markup version (the original PG text split into 10 files, with slight reformatting), the HTML version generated by rst2html, and a makefile to show how I invoke each tool. I thought it might be useful to others to see what I did if this format seems good.

Phrodod
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: lrf tolstoy_karenina_v1.6_20070912.lrf (1.11 MB, 1334 views)
File Type: zip tolstoy_karenina_v1.6_20070912.zip (1.46 MB, 1050 views)

Last edited by phrodod; 09-15-2007 at 03:33 AM. Reason: Updated version numbering to be consistent
phrodod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 06:54 PM   #2
phrodod
Enthusiast

Tolstoy, Leo: Anna Karenina, v1.1 09 Sept 2007

Just uploaded v1.1. I've changed the formatting a bit. I separated the 8 parts into separate .rst files, which causes them to each get just one entry in the table of contents. Then, on each page, I had rst2html generate a table of contents, so there's a hierarchy of menus to make navigating the book easier.

I really like the way html2lrf generates nice e-books. Thanks, Koval!

Phrodod

Last edited by phrodod; 09-10-2007 at 02:08 AM. Reason: Fixed version numbers
Old 09-09-2007, 08:58 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The version number we use refers to the version of your conversion, not the version that's on PG. So you post it the first time and it's 1.0. You make a very minor correction and it's version 1.1. You make a major correction, it could be version 1.5.

Now that said, I've found what (I feel) should be fixed. You have left in double-dashes -- and not converted them to the proper emdash —. This makes it a hard read at least for me.

Would you like me to fix the version number in the title as well as the date after you've fixed the emdashes? Given the emdashes is a big fix, I'd go with 1.5 given the emdahses and the first correction.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 02:04 AM   #4
phrodod
Enthusiast

Tolstoy, Leo: Anna Karenina, v1.5 09 Sept 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The version number we use refers to the version of your conversion, not the version that's on PG. So you post it the first time and it's 1.0. You make a very minor correction and it's version 1.1. You make a major correction, it could be version 1.5.

Now that said, I've found what (I feel) should be fixed. You have left in double-dashes -- and not converted them to the proper emdash —. This makes it a hard read at least for me.

Would you like me to fix the version number in the title as well as the date after you've fixed the emdashes? Given the emdashes is a big fix, I'd go with 1.5 given the emdahses and the first correction.
I'm uploading a new version that fixes the em dash problem, and I'd be happy to call that 1.5. Please do fix the version number in the title for me, as it appears I can't. Thanks.

Phrodod
Old 09-11-2007, 05:31 PM   #5
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
Thank you for this book. I have never read Anna Karenina, so I am glad you added to the MB library. I plan to read it (eventually, that is )

Two minor things:

1. Why did you add the Project Gutenberg Notes at the end of the book?
2. Also, since you are working on a new version, I think it would be nice if you add a page break after Tolstoi's portrait, so it would act as a cover.
Andanzas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 02:36 PM   #6
phrodod
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andanzas View Post
Thank you for this book. I have never read Anna Karenina, so I am glad you added to the MB library. I plan to read it (eventually, that is )

Two minor things:

1. Why did you add the Project Gutenberg Notes at the end of the book?
2. Also, since you are working on a new version, I think it would be nice if you add a page break after Tolstoi's portrait, so it would act as a cover.
You're welcome. I'm still in part one (of eight) myself. I've run across a few minor formatting errors that I plan to fix, but haven't taken the time to do so yet.

I was planning on creating a nice cover once I get Fireworks (re)installed on my computer. (I have it, but I had to rebuild my computer recently, so it's just a matter of finding time to reinstall it.)

It seems like the way to get html2lrf to insert a page break is to add a new heading. But if I add a new heading, I also get a new table of contents entry. So I'm trying to figure out how to get the page break without adding to my TOC before I play with that type of formatting.

Phillip
Old 09-13-2007, 02:45 AM   #7
phrodod
Enthusiast

Just released v1.6. This involved fixing missing italics in a number of places, fixing verse in a couple of places, and changing the file name to indicate more completely what book is being uploaded. The latest version is called tolstoy_karenina_v1.6_20070912.lrf. This gets the author, book, version, and date into the file name. Enjoy!!!
Old 06-13-2009, 12:29 PM   #8
Coops
Zealot
Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Sony T3 backup
Thanks for this - read it many years ago & looking forward to another visit to it and others...

Coops
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote