Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-31-2011, 07:56 PM   #1
NLight95
Connoisseur
NLight95 will become famous soon enoughNLight95 will become famous soon enoughNLight95 will become famous soon enoughNLight95 will become famous soon enoughNLight95 will become famous soon enoughNLight95 will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Reading books purchased at Amazon on my PRS-950

I've had my PRS-950 for a few months and now I'm looking to purchase some books. I would rather purchase books from Amazon than the Sony's Reader Store because the former has a much better selection and the books are typically cheaper.

I've installed the Amazon's Kindle for PC software (ver. 1.4.1 Build 31629) and already have an account with them. The free books I've downloaded so far are not readable on my PRS-950 due to DRM.

Isn't it one's legal right to read books purchased from any source on one's e-reader? I don't want to be tied to Amazon, Sony, B&N or any other bookseller. I simply want to shop around and purchase books wherever I can find them cheapest and read them on my PRS-950.

Are any of you reading books purchased at Amazon on your Sony Reader? I don't want to purchase any books at Amazon unless I know for certain I can read them on the Sony.

Last edited by NLight95; 05-31-2011 at 08:00 PM.
NLight95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:01 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
In the US, it is very probably legal to strip the DRM from ebooks you bought providing you do this for your own use only. See Apprentice Alf's Blog for more info on DRM issues.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:21 AM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLight95 View Post
...I simply want to shop around and purchase books wherever I can find them cheapest and read them on my PRS-950.
My philosophy too! I'm not into brand loyalty and fanboy BS...

Quote:
Are any of you reading books purchased at Amazon on your Sony Reader? I don't want to purchase any books at Amazon unless I know for certain I can read them on the Sony.
Darn straight! I buy books from the best source at the time, then I strip away the DRM whether I need to or not, convert the book into ePub if necessary, and sideload it to my 350.

Specific to your example, yes you can buy from Amazon in AZW format and download them to Kindle for PC (K4PC) in order to prepare to strip the DRM. I won't cover the process, but see advice in previous post above. Once stripped of DRM, use a program like calibre (freeware) to convert the AZW (Amazon's proprietary, modified MOBI format) to ePub. Be aware that some Amazon books are in TOPAZ format and CANNOT be stripped of DRM (I think). Most Amazon books come in a Sample you can download, so download the free sample and verify it is in AZW format before buying, that is has an *.azw extension.

Last edited by jswinden; 06-01-2011 at 11:35 AM.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:15 PM   #4
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Alternately, you can buy a Kindle to read Amazon ebooks on. Certainly easier than breaking DRM and having to convert the files.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:21 PM   #5
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB622, Nexus7, Sony PRS 350, Tolino und nur noch wenig toter Baum:(
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Be aware that some Amazon books are in TOPAZ format and CANNOT be stripped of DRM (I think). Most Amazon books come in a Sample you can download, so download the free sample and verify it is in AZW format before buying, that is has an *.azw extension.

Fortunately you think wrong

Ask Google for the "Dark Reverser", and you'll find some Plugins for Calibre which can also convert TPZ files into a ZIP Format, which you can then change into something useful
troll05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 03:07 PM   #6
NLight95
Connoisseur
NLight95 will become famous soon enoughNLight95 will become famous soon enoughNLight95 will become famous soon enoughNLight95 will become famous soon enoughNLight95 will become famous soon enoughNLight95 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
Alternately, you can buy a Kindle to read Amazon ebooks on. Certainly easier than breaking DRM and having to convert the files.
Easier, maybe, but certainly more expensive. After paying for the PRS-950 I really don't want or feel the need to purchase another reader.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:28 PM   #7
NLight95
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
In the US, it is very probably legal to strip the DRM from ebooks you bought providing you do this for your own use only. See Apprentice Alf's Blog for more info on DRM issues.
Is there a forum where I could ask questions about the procedures on Alf's Blog? I find it little confusing and think I'm overlooking something because I haven't had any success with DRM removal yet. I use both calibre, and Sony's Reader Library for book management.

The books I will buy are for my own use only, unless I let my friend borrow my reader so she can do some occasional reading. Authors and publishers need to make a living too so they should be paid for their work. Having written some materials myself I know it can take a lot of time and hard work . My pet peeve is editing--I never seem to be satisfied in my work being "finished". But alas, I haven't written anything in years.

Last edited by NLight95; 06-01-2011 at 03:30 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:35 PM   #8
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Is there a forum where I could ask questions about the procedures on Alf's Blog? I find it little confusing and think I'm overlooking something because I haven't had any success with DRM removal yet. I use both calibre, and Sony's Reader Library for book management.
I suspect there is just one small setup step you missed. Once it's set up correctly, then there is simply nothing to do. It just works.

Check your PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:37 AM   #9
catsknit
Addict
catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Samsung tablet, Kobo Libra, InkPad 3 Pro
One thing to be sure of is that you get the older version of Kindle for PC, version 1.5.0. And then uncheck automatic updates so it doesn't update. The newer version doesn't play well with conversions. You can google for the older version.

Edited - Sorry, I mistyped - you want version 1.4 or earlier.

Last edited by catsknit; 06-18-2011 at 08:24 AM. Reason: mistake in advice
catsknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:56 AM   #10
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsknit View Post
One thing to be sure of is that you get the older version of Kindle for PC, version 1.5.0. And then uncheck automatic updates so it doesn't update. The newer version doesn't play well with conversions. You can google for the older version.
No, 1.5.0 is the new broken one!

You want 1.4.1 (or earlier, but 1.4.1 is available and works well.)

ApK
Old 06-10-2011, 08:48 PM   #11
catsknit
Addict
catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Samsung tablet, Kobo Libra, InkPad 3 Pro
Thanks for correcting that; I had just opened my Kindle for PC window and checked what version it was to write that, and I see that even though I don't have the automatic update checked, it somehow DID update me anyway! So I need to re-install my older one again, too.
catsknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:59 PM   #12
ApK

Hmm. Same thing happened to me. I suspect that the new version had downloaded before I turned off the option, then installed itself next time it started.
Old 06-18-2011, 01:24 PM   #13
NLight95
Connoisseur

I now have the calibre plugin + Kindle for PC 1.41 installed and tried a few free books I downloaded from Amazon and it works. Now I can purchase books there.

Thanks guys and ladies!
Old 06-18-2011, 07:14 PM   #14
redbees
Enthusiast
redbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Paperwhite 2, Nexus 7
NLight95,

tools_v4.0 has been updated to work with K4PC 1.5.0.

Concerning Topaz:
I'd like to note that although recent versions of the tools are indeed capable of liberating Topaz format ebooks, if these ebooks are downloaded to K4PC rather than to a Kindle it is not possible to convert them 'straight across' (meaning with no modification) with Calibre to be readable on your Sony. (See Alf for an explanation of why).The Topaz books I have freed are only readable on my computer in Firefox (or perhaps in another browser). When I load them onto my PRS-x50, I get a 'PAGE ERROR' message upon opening the books. Perhaps you are able to understand better than I what modifications are necessary to make the file usable on anything other than a Kindle. Although the vast majority of Amazon's books are in .prc format, I suggest downloading a sample of the books in which you are interested in order to check their format. Also, rumor has it that MOST if not all non-Topaz format ebooks have 'File Size' listed in the product description. I may be wrong, but I think older books are more likely to be in Topaz. Happy converting.
redbees is offline   Reply With Quote