Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 09-18-2010, 04:07 PM   #1
Silverone
Silverone began at the beginning.

Device: None
How Do You Download Books To The Jetbook?

Hello,

Sorry another newbie question. Do you have a disc so the computer knows what to do?

And where do you download the books from?

Im actually loving the Jetbook Mini & it said on the video that its got the same way to get the books on it as the Jetbook lite.

Ive never seen the Jetbooks before & im liking the price 0f the mini & being smaller for me is good as I have trouble holding things for long so thought this could be a good choice for me.

I also like that it dosen't flash to black when you change the page, it seems quicker to.

Thanks xxx
Silverone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 04:41 PM   #2
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Welcome silverone!

Don't be so quick to decide on a Mini! Most of us prefer the jetBook Lite for the same $99.99 price.

When you get your device, I suggest that you practice with the MobileRead library because the books are free.

The JBL reads both ePub and mobi formats (among many others). So you would choose a book in one of those formats. Double click in the box at the bottom of the first post in the thread, and the file will download onto your computer.

All of us buy an SD card and an SD card reader. So copy the file onto the SD card. Then insert the SD card into the JBL and you are set.

The Mini only reads txt and fb2 formats for the time being. For the Mini, you would first download the calibre program. See the calibre forum here for that.

Then take your mobi or ePub file that you have downloaded and use calibre to convert it to fb2. Then move the fb2 file onto the SD card, and insert the card into the Mini.

I'm about the least geekiest guy here, so others may be able to explain it better than I have just done.

Go to newegg.com to see the $99.99 JBL.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2010, 06:15 PM   #3
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
You may not need to buy an SD card reader if your computer/laptop already has one.

Since the Jetbook and the Aluratek Libre are similar in more ways than they are not, you could probably also connect your Jetbook to your computer via USB cable and then just copy over books from your hard drive to the SD card, too.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 06:28 PM   #4
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
I don't know of a video that claims that the Mini has "the same way to get the books
on it as the Jetbook lite"; if there is one that does that, then it is very wrong. One of
the greatest features of the JBL is the fact that it supports a very large number of the
formats that ebooks use, all the most used (except Kindle's of course). The JBL also
now provides support for the three most used DRM scams (again except Kindle's), so
that just about all the eBook online retailers will offer books in a format that can be
read on the JBL (except Amazon, of course). [Unless you learn how to remove the DRM
infection, you will need a reader that supports the DRM scam that a book you purchase
is crippled with, in order to read the book.]

The Mini currently can only read documents in the .txt file format or the .fb2 file format.
It has no DRM support. While there is a lot of free public domain literature available in
the .txt file format, I know of no one selling any current (published within the last 70
years) commercially published material, in that format. There is the "DarkNet" but all of
that is provided in more compressed formats.

This is where Calibre comes in for the Mini. Calibre and other such programs can convert
from one ebook format to another. Caliber, like most of them, will not work with DRM
infected files. There are greater numbers of DRM free ebooks offered in formats with
some compression, like ePub, Mobi, Palm Document, ect... but you won't find the books
recommended by Oprah or Glen Beck or The New York Times available without DRM.

I like a number of the features of the Mini but with its current limitations I could not
recommend it to anyone not having a specific use for it that wouldn't be effected by
the Mini's current shortcomings.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 09:45 PM   #5
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
If your only transferring half a dozen books to the Jetbook the USB cable is fine.

If your transferring more than that your much better off to buy a 2gig SD card and a SD card to USB adapter.

As to the original poster, project gutenberg, manybooks.net, Baen free library, and many many more exist. Most good sites even let you choose what format you want the book in. Personally I prefer .rtf with epub and text files close behind.

Basicly you download the files from the site to your computer. Probably want to put books by the same author into a folder. Then when you have several folders put together, put the SD card in the adapter, and the adapter into a USB slot. Copy your folders to the SD card, turn on the jetbook, and insert the SD card.

It really is pretty simple.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2010, 05:38 AM   #6
Silverone

Thank You everyone for your help,

I would only be downloading a few books. So if I downloaded Calibra & brought a Jetbook Mini I could buy books from Amazon & let Calibra convert it to the jetbook mini & download to the Jetbook mini via a usb cable?

Another question is if I did it that way I would have books ive brought in a section on Amazon like I would have if I brought a Kindle under manage your Kindle?

Oh does the Jetbook Mini come with the usb cable?

Thanks for all your help xxx
Old 09-19-2010, 07:19 AM   #7
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Many (most?) of the books bought from Amazon have DRM protection and can NOT be put on a JBL or the mini. Calibre will NOT convert any book that has DRM.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:41 AM   #8
Silverone

Ohhh

Ok thank you xxx
Old 09-19-2010, 07:46 AM   #9
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I'm not sure what the attraction to the mini is over the JBL....the JBL accepts so many formats, the mini seems very limited in comparison.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:57 AM   #10
Silverone

I know I will be shot, hung drawn & quarterd for this but I don't like the look of the JBL (hides).

I like that the mini because its well mini lol
Old 09-19-2010, 04:04 PM   #11
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverone View Post
I know I will be shot, hung drawn & quarterd for this but I don't like the look of the JBL (hides).

I like that the mini because its well mini lol
True, as a fashion accessory I would pick the Mini over the JBL.

(That is if we had any interest in fashion in Texas (well there is Austin))

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 06:43 PM   #12
MR. Pockets
Addict
MR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch, Aluratek Libre Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverone View Post
I would only be downloading a few books. So if I downloaded Calibra & brought a Jetbook Mini I could buy books from Amazon & let Calibra convert it to the jetbook mini & download to the Jetbook mini via a usb cable?
Calibre can't remove DRM, but after DRM is removed that would work.
MR. Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:02 AM   #13
Silverone

Thanks.

Well it looks like its going to have to be a kindle then as I can't find the range of ebooks that I like on any other site. Humph!

Im in the uk & the only site that has some where near the books I want to buy is WHsmiths & they are much more expensive than Amazon.

I don't personally like the keyboard on the bottom of the screen on the K3, this makes it a lot bigger than it needs to be, I would not use it either lol.