Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 03-07-2010, 08:16 AM   #46
nasser
Evangelist
nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many..
Hello, jswinden and others!

I've been using a Kohjinsha SH series tablet. 7" resistive touch screen, Intel A100 processor(bet you've never heard of this one!), 1 GB RAM, 80G HDD, Vista Home premium, dedicated hardware buttons on the left of screen (mouse pointer-like the IBM/Lenovo thinkpads, up/down/left/right combo), and right(mouse left/right click, pg up/down, enter, screen rotation). Wt: 1kg

Overall very good to use as an ebook reader. No need to worry about formats: txt, pdf, djvu, lit, doc/docx, html, chm, mht, cbr,... etc., obviously. Need to hold it with both hands. One handed leads to cramps after some time! But the total control you get in the two handed mode is quite good. Oh, and you can also touch away with finger or the stylus if you want one more input mode!

Gripes: battery life - 1.5 to 2 hours, gets heated so you feel your'e holding a toasted sandwich, landscape mode of screen only shows half a page(pdf), portrait mode of screen not useful as the font gets squashed in a full page mode.

How's the Asus tablet on battery life, weight and heat?
nasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 10:29 AM   #47
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasser View Post
Hello, jswinden and others!

I've been using a Kohjinsha SH series tablet. 7" resistive touch screen, Intel A100 processor(bet you've never heard of this one!), 1 GB RAM, 80G HDD, Vista Home premium, dedicated hardware buttons on the left of screen (mouse pointer-like the IBM/Lenovo thinkpads, up/down/left/right combo), and right(mouse left/right click, pg up/down, enter, screen rotation). Wt: 1kg

Overall very good to use as an ebook reader. No need to worry about formats: txt, pdf, djvu, lit, doc/docx, html, chm, mht, cbr,... etc., obviously. Need to hold it with both hands. One handed leads to cramps after some time! But the total control you get in the two handed mode is quite good. Oh, and you can also touch away with finger or the stylus if you want one more input mode!

Gripes: battery life - 1.5 to 2 hours, gets heated so you feel your'e holding a toasted sandwich, landscape mode of screen only shows half a page(pdf), portrait mode of screen not useful as the font gets squashed in a full page mode.

How's the Asus tablet on battery life, weight and heat?
The battery lasts at least 5 hours--I've never pushed it beyond that. It doesn't get hot and barely gets warm in one small area. It weighs 2.1 pounds, so it is a bit heavy as a reader, but the new iPad will weigh 1.5 pounds so it is going to be a bit heavy too.

I think a good modern 7" tablet running Windows 7 and with buttons like you described on the bevel would be great, but only if they would increase the resolution to 1024 x 768. All the 7" tablets I've looked at so far are 800 x 480 which is a bit low resolution for reading, but usable.

BTW: My Sony PRS300 is lightweight, but it too requires two handed holding or your hand will cramp after a while. The T91MT definitely requires holding with both hands.
Advert
Old 03-07-2010, 11:32 AM   #48
nasser
Evangelist
nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many..
My tablet has 1024x600 resolution which seems to be the standard for almost all recent netbooks with 7, 8, 9 and 10 inch screen sizes. 800x600 is outdated. Sony PRS-300 is most tempting. Had almost taken the plunge before deciding to hold back! One more gadget to add to my collection of PDA, cellphone and tablet? Was also encouraged by this article in NYT.

I feel the attraction of devices like the Sony PRS-300 lies in their portability, battery life and focused purpose (no mp3, touch screen, internet, etc. distractions).
nasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 03:11 AM   #49
_noel_
_noel_ began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 4 32GB
Smile Jack, you made my day :)

Hello all,

this is my first post in this forum I discovered a few days ago.

Up to now I'm using a Nokia N810 for ebook reading and as a remote control (UPnP control point) for my Linn Accurate DS music network player, but I'm not pleased with it: It has a maemo OS (Linux) and it is too small for ebook reading and it is too small for a music control point (you can hardly display any CD cover art or such things).

Then Mr. Jobs presented the IPad.
Oh yes ... this big screen ... with nice features and lightweight ... BUT I AS A WINDOWS GUY AND AN APPLE OS ?????
I have 6 PCs at home for me and my family which are running Windows XP and 7 and my work is also focused to Windows OS, I don't want to mix up my private IT environment with an restricted iphone OS.

Then a few days ago I coincidentally came across this forum. I originally was looking for some software to manage my some 10000 PDF files. I found a lot of stuff for this, but I also found plenty of other good stuff and ideas concerning ebooks, this is a great forum

Furthermore I found this thread, which released me out of my IPad dilemma:
I will go to a shopping mall today to lay my hands on a T91MT. I thought about a notebook convertible some months ago, but I did not follow this way, because I thought a convertible would be too bulky. But after reading this thread, I think the T91MT would be the solution for all my needs: It can be used like a slate, it has a Win 7 OS, a reasonably big screen, the possibillity to read all kinds of ebooks, there is good software available for my music network player and I can do some other stuff with it while chilling on my sofa.
To tell the truth: I would prefer a "HP slate" or something similar, but we will have to wait another year or so for such nice toys.

Thanks a lot Jack for this thread

Kind regards
Ebe
_noel_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 03:04 PM   #50
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasser View Post
My tablet has 1024x600 resolution which seems to be the standard for almost all recent netbooks with 7, 8, 9 and 10 inch screen sizes. 800x600 is outdated. Sony PRS-300 is most tempting. Had almost taken the plunge before deciding to hold back! One more gadget to add to my collection of PDA, cellphone and tablet? Was also encouraged by this article in NYT.

I feel the attraction of devices like the Sony PRS-300 lies in their portability, battery life and focused purpose (no mp3, touch screen, internet, etc. distractions).
The sony PRS300 is 800x600. The 7-inch MID devices tend to be 800x480. The tablet PCs do tend to be 1024x600+. But there is a big price increase between the 7-inch MID devices and tablet PC netbooks.
Advert
Old 03-12-2010, 09:48 PM   #51
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
I have a couple netbooks (I should update my info). Both of them are Asus. One is a 1005HAB and the other is a 1005PEB. The PEB uses the new Pinetree chipset. To be honest I love them both. I don't really notice much difference in speed on the units, except the PEB has slightly faster video framerates. The nice thing is that it only weighs like 2 pounds and I can do almost anything I need to on it. I can't pocket it though. I wouldn't take it to the movies to read with while waiting for a movie to start. On the other hand, I can surf the web in bed or while watching TV.

I can read books on many different formats, both DRM and non-DRM. There are a lot of positive aspects of using a netbook as a reader, but I would say if you plan in reading "on-the-move" outside home, I would look for something smaller. If you want to have two devices, the netbook certainly isn't a waste of money. I purchased my 1005HAB for $299 at Best Buy and the 1005PEB was $350.

If you want a great multifunction device, with some great portability, take a good look at the Archos 5 Internet Tablet or the Archos 7 Home Tablet (coming soon). If you want a really nice LCD portable reader, take a look at that new Delstar Openbook as seen in this thread. Many of us are waiting on the verdict on it right now, but for $99 to $150, it sure seems like a great device.

EDIT: Just wanted to mention the battery life on my 1005PEB is at least 8 hours when surfing AND reading. Not bad.

Last edited by ColdSun; 03-12-2010 at 09:59 PM.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 12:10 AM   #52
Houndx
Groupie
Houndx doesn't litterHoundx doesn't litter

Device: A81 MID, Dell Streak
Coldsun, you should try to convince Asus to get you a loaner T91MT to review. I've really enjoyed reading on mine. Just today I spent a bit over two and half hours reading on it at Chickfila while my daughter was playing with her friends. The battery life isn't going to give you 9 hours of surfing but I did get those two and a half hours in comfortably on 40% remaining battery, and that with the backlight at 100%.
Houndx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 12:16 AM   #53
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdSun;827519If you want a really nice LCD portable reader, take a look at that new Delstar Openbook as seen in [URL="https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76246"
this thread[/URL]. Many of us are waiting on the verdict on it right now, but for $99 to $150, it sure seems like a great device.
I ordered a Delstar Openbook on Monday. It is supposed to be delivered on the 16th.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:29 AM   #54
ChrisC333
Groupie
ChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it is

Device: Acer eM250 Netbook, iTouch, iRiver Story, HP TM2 Tablet
Hi all,

Thanks to jswinden and everybody else who has added to the thread. Great to get a heads up on what looks like a very good option.

I'm new to ebook readers, but am already a fan of using small computers, which - as Jack said - seem to offer a great deal of versatility with not too many disadvantages. I’ve been very impressed with how good notebooks are for ereading.

Cheers,

Chris
ChrisC333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 08:32 AM   #55
ChrisC333
Groupie
ChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it is

Here’s the long version. Please excuse all the waffle:

PERSONAL BACKGROUND AND BIAS:

I’ve been reading and collecting books (or perhaps just neglecting to get rid of them...) for nearly sixty years and my wife and son also like a book, so we’ve accumulated well over 2,000 in the house and have rather run out of space. So the storage aspect of ebooks was most appealing. However, I did wonder if I’d turn out to be a sufferer from “Nothing Will Ever Replace a REAL Book” syndrome (Answer: No). I also have 63 year old eyes which might have made ereading less enjoyable (It didn’t).

At the risk of rattling Jack’s chain, I admit that I was attracted to ereading by watching the video of the iPad launch. Seeing old Steve relaxing in his chair with his toy looked just ideal. So while waiting for supply - and more accurate information - I’ve been trying three other options. The iPad has now been put on hold, perhaps indefinitely.

1. Acer eMachines eM250 Netbook:

A 10” screen cheapie that was apparently sold at bargain prices in the US by Walmart, among many others. I bought mine locally from a Coles supermarket. This has been the most unexpected success of my three readers. Like Jack’s machine it runs a range of ereader software and is way ahead of the others for accessibility, ease of cataloguing a bigger collection of books into folders, etc. The screen size is very similar to a regular book, but the real surprise has been how comfortable it is to use. I assumed that its bulk and layout might be a problem but it hasn’t been so. It does weigh more than a standard paperback, but less than some of my hardbacks. In fact I have a couple of large printed books that each weigh FIVE times as much as the netbook. So no complaints there.

As part of the business of sorting out how to use the netbook I had a fresh look at the whole business of reading conventional books. There seems to be a popular assumption that the printed book is the “Gold Standard” of reading and that it is an un-improvable format. However, this didn’t seem to survive closer inspection. To start with, unless you have an unusually well bound book they mostly need two hands to hold and operate and the resulting reading surfaces are partly curved not flat. For most of the time one page is easier to read than the other, due to the imbalance of the book thickness from one side to the other and the resulting differences in page curvature. I’m completely used to coping with this, and it’s more like a minor nuisance than a big deal. Nevertheless, it’s still an area where an ebook reader is a clear winner. On a similar note, keeping track of a large collection of printed books becomes increasingly hard. I often now have trouble finding the book itself, let alone tracking down the specific quote I’m after. Another clear win for ebooks on a notebook - huge storage, endlessly expandable cataloguing without the need to keep physically shifting books, and excellent searching ability.

My eMachine easily switches from landscape display to left or right portrait (Ctrl Alt and arrow keys) so ends up looking very much like a regular book. I can stand it up on a table, or lie it flat (the weight of the keyboard doesn’t tip it over, even when opened to the widest angle, which surprised me). Depending on how I’m lying or sitting I can lean it against a convenient limb, hold it with one or two hands or just prop it up like a regular book (with the added bonus that it doesn’t self close or flip pages if I loosen my grip).

The main disadvantage - in fact pretty much the only one I’ve found so far - is the short battery life of between 3 and 4 hours with the 3 cell battery. As I never read for that long at a stretch, and have easy access to power points if I did, this is simply an easily solved management issue. When not in use it lives on a small charging table (actually an old piano stool) along with the various other readers, phones and gadgets that need regular feeds of juice.

I haven’t completely written the iPad off yet, and will watch its progress with interest. It seems to have a lot of pluses. It remains to be seen if the restrictive nature of it will put me off - for a while...

Cheers,

Chris
Old 03-13-2010, 08:40 AM   #56
ChrisC333
Groupie

To round off the picture, here’s a quick bit of waffle comparing my other two ereaders.

2. iTouch:

I bought this to store music, contact details and photos with no expectation that it would be usable as a text reader. I downloaded Stanza and a couple of other ebook packages out of interest and was astonished at how readable they were. After expecting to read only a few paragraphs and then delete, I was pleasantly surprised when I quickly read through several complete books on it. The limited access to the machine and the small screen are obviously disadvantages, but it has the massive plus that its small size means that there’s a near 100% chance that it actually WILL be in my pocket at any given time, whereas the other readers won’t. Perfect for casual reading while waiting to pick up my son from school, etc.

3. iRiver Story:

Chosen partly because it was the only E-ink reader available over the counter in the nearby town. Pretty much a Kindle clone in looks but reads epub and PDFs. Can be authorized by Digital Editions to read DRM epub files. Connects to the computer via USB which gives easy access to the storage. After reading the promos and fan endorsements I expected E-ink to be clearly superior to read but have been slightly disappointed by the grey on grey look of the E-ink contenders. Great in full sun, but as I live in West Australia I prefer reading in the shade. OK in good light but needs a lot of assistance as the light dims.

I also don’t agree that other screens are bad for eye strain. I’ve been using personal computers since the mid 1980s and have spent many thousands of hours writing and reading on them without difficulty. In my experience I have always found that physical discomfort (neck stiffness, numb-bum, sore back, etc) cut in well before eye stress. Provided you adjust the screen brightness and contrast if needed, and put some effort into getting the room lighting and direction right, I’ve never had a problem.

Interestingly, when I’ve showed my ereaders to friends, the younger ones who have grown up with computers tend to be equally comfortable with either screen, but the oldies like me often prefer the backlit ones. Perhaps that’s not so surprising as older eyes tend to need more and more light on the subject. Nevertheless, the Story is a fine reader and I’m enjoying using it.

Conclusion:

It’s all good!...

...But the netbook takes the crown for me, so far. I'll see if I can track down an Asus T91MT locally and check it out too - that swivel screen looks very neat indeed. Thanks again to Jack for the review and thread.

Cheers,

Chris
Old 03-13-2010, 12:31 PM   #57
weateallthepies
Lord of the Pies
weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Sage, Onyx Boox Leaf 2, iPad Pro
I've been after a netbook tablet for a while as a decent device for anything I can't easily read on my 5" eink device. For various reasons I'd been put off by many of the devices currently out, I particularly wanted something with a little more poke than the current atom cpu range they are chucking in everything.

I've managed to snag an ACER 1420p which fits more of my requirements and most importantly runs a dual core CULV so better for when I want to do something other than web browsing, yet still providing up to 8 hours battery life.

There's not a lot of good info on them yet, the model I have was one given out by Microsoft at their PDC last year and it's just hitting the shelves as a retail model. You can get some info here:

http://microsoftpdc.com/tablet

Short video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxwT4YTT85Y

It's also being rebranded by Gateway and *shudder* Packard Bell and there is a decent video of the Packard Bell branded one which is essentially the same hardware here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIIRT7q8iro

Thought it may be of interest. If people want the info, I'll try and do a more detailed review with some pictures though that could take a bit of time.

Really nice device from the hour or so I've played with it.
weateallthepies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 06:09 PM   #58
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by weateallthepies View Post
I've managed to snag an ACER 1420p which fits more of my requirements and most importantly runs a dual core CULV so better for when I want to do something other than web browsing, yet still providing up to 8 hours battery life.
Good specs for computing. But I think an 11.6 inch screen and nearly 4 pounds of heft is way too big for my tastes. I would have a difficult time reclining and holding that monster while trying to read.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:18 PM   #59
weateallthepies
Lord of the Pies
weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Sage, Onyx Boox Leaf 2, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Good specs for computing. But I think an 11.6 inch screen and nearly 4 pounds of heft is way too big for my tastes. I would have a difficult time reclining and holding that monster while trying to read.
Yeah it's definitely not a fiction reader, it's pretty heavy though thinner than I expected.

I'll use it mostly for textbooks/pdfs with the ability to annotate and make notes. I could see it being useful for people who need that sort of functionality for work, it'd be great for students though maybe a little pricey currently.

I also wanted something to do a little development on when I'm away from home hence my requirements for a better cpu.

Definitely not for everyone but an interesting device.

...and it does flash.
weateallthepies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 12:14 PM   #60
Spirity
Follow Your Bliss!
Spirity doesn't litterSpirity doesn't litter

Device: Dreaming of a HP TouchSmart tm2!
Quote:
Originally Posted by weateallthepies View Post
I've been after a netbook tablet for a while as a decent device for anything I can't easily read on my 5" eink device. For various reasons I'd been put off by many of the devices currently out, I particularly wanted something with a little more poke than the current atom cpu range they are chucking in everything.

There's not a lot of good info on them yet, the model I have was one given out by Microsoft at their PDC last year and it's just hitting the shelves as a retail model. You can get some info here:

http://microsoftpdc.com/tablet

Short video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxwT4YTT85Y

It's also being rebranded by Gateway and *shudder* Packard Bell and there is a decent video of the Packard Bell branded one which is essentially the same hardware here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIIRT7q8iro

Thought it may be of interest. If people want the info, I'll try and do a more detailed review with some pictures though that could take a bit of time.

Really nice device from the hour or so I've played with it.
Thanks weateallthepies; although I thought I was set on an Asus! I've been waiting on the AsusT101MT to come out, but I've heard reviews that it's sluggish, and needs all the "bloatware" removed.

I'd be very interested in a review of this machine when you've got the chance.
I want to get this purchase right, the first time! so any insights on the pro's and cons would be greatly appreciated. What I've been able to search out, this looks like a super contender.

thanks in advance,
Spirity
Spirity is offline   Reply With Quote