Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 12-02-2009, 04:05 PM   #31
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Just tried it and it wasn't very straight about 95% but straight enough.
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 04:50 PM   #32
ccpraveen
Site: tinyurl.com/bukworm
ccpraveen has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle, Bluefire Reader
Thank you coldsun for posting me those skins.

I had asked for one and you gave me the whole bunch. WOW, its like the song which goes like, "I asked for one flower and you gave me the whole Spring":-)

Extremely thankful to you, keep up the good work. Folks like you brighten others' days

Regards

Steve
ccpraveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2009, 06:30 AM   #33
DigitBee
GadgetLover
DigitBee began at the beginning.

Device: W1060 SmartQ V7
Hi ColdSun,

Your review is AWESOME!(and UI)

I played with the W1060 with the old FW before and met some similar problem. this W1060 I have today is from Wirlession and it comes with a new FW, it looks something are better than the old FW. These are what I have today.

First Thanks for your help on installing this new UI, it is so Fresh i am sure a lot of guys will like it. let us go and download!

The New FW seems to come with some improvement in the IE, It can enter mobileread.com within 15 seconds. it must be improved since we even can not open this (big)web before. At the same time I open Google.com which is done like very fast, both windows can work at the same time and speed is not bad. i guess the complains work

the bluetooth is working too; to be exactly it is "half working", as the W1060 only can work as RX, i got it connented with my mobile phone and sent pic to the MID. however W1060(as TX) can not send data to the phone.

the USB HOST is working and kinda strange, first i connect the Sandisk USB 2G to W1060 via USB OTG, it can not work. then i connect the USB Hub to the OTG cable and plug the USB disc into the hub, it works!. i know from other user some USB can work directly with USB OTG some can not, because of the current limitation.

unfortunately there is No rotate screen yet which i need it as PDF /MS doc ebook reader.

i feel better now since i can use the MID as internet tablet and video player, video is good as before. i hope the new FW with rotate display will be available soon i can upgrade by myself with this same MID so i will not worry about it.
DigitBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 09:09 AM   #34
Ndiddly
Ndiddly began at the beginning.

Device: None
Hey Coldsun.....

thanks for spending the time to answer back in such detailed.

appologies for the confusion between the Archos 7 and the W1060. I was indeed describing the issues of web browsing (although somewhat cleared up in more recent replies to others (your doing a sterling service for all us MID virgins!!)) on the W1060. However i was describing the expensiveness of the Archos 7 when having to buy add on apps. Do you know if there is a way around this for the Archos 7? Are you a fan or have an opinion of the Archos 7?

As you can probably tell i am torn between 3 (maybe more with the Comangi Webstation and Inkia 500) MID's. The Archos 7, SmartQ V7 (why not its nearly the same price as the Q7) and the W1060. i like the large screen as im probably going to end up getting a nice smaller screen phone device on my next phone contact. So hard!! any further opinion on which one is always welcome

The thing about internet poker is that i want to play real money. Some of the large poker room have no-download tables that you can play real money on. they are supposed to work with some phones and also play using Java on IE higher than 6 (i think). Is this possible with any of the devices mentioned above?? i must say, this is becoming a bit of a sticking point. Is there any chance that you could try to play poker on the device you have? One of the sites that uses no-download poker software is (hope this doesnt get me in touble!!) PartyPoker.

Many thanks

Nick
Ndiddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:56 AM   #35
Dvalin21
Zealot
Dvalin21 began at the beginning.

Device: VS Gtablet/Zenithink/GS II T-Mobile
To Coldsun,

Indeed an awesome review, many thanks. But I have a question that you could help me with. I too am new to the MID community, I plan on purchasing my first one in Jan 10. I'm currently torn between the W1060 and the q7. I have seen the JE-100 yet, but I will check it out. Anyway, with the W1060 and the q7, do you think it will be ever possible to flash these with Windows 7 starter? Does the W1060 play .MKV, RMVB, RM, or MP4 files? And lastly does the W1060 play HD video files better than the q7? Thanks in advance. Please forgive me if you anwsered these questions before.
Dvalin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2009, 11:15 AM   #36
Nation.A.List
Addict
Nation.A.List doesn't litterNation.A.List doesn't litter

Device: SmartQ 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvalin21 View Post
<snip>... Anyway, with the W1060 and the q7, do you think it will be ever possible to flash these with Windows 7 starter? ...<snip>
Maybe if Microsoft decides to support the ARM processor, until then you will only be able to run Windows (excluding WinCE) via an emulator, and at present the best you could hope for would be Win 3.11, so a long way to go to get to 7
Nation.A.List is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 12:07 PM   #37
ExtraSF
ExtraSolar
ExtraSF began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Some Questions.

Hi everybody,
I wonder if i can use this tablet( the W1060 ) for internet surfing using a USB Internet Dongle - i would like to browse the internet at the cafe.
If not..does the Q7 allow for that with it's USB Host mode?

Thanks in advance.
ExtraSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 12:46 PM   #38
pphilipp
Addict
pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Apple iPad 3 (I have owned many other tablets)
Good morning. I just joined this forum so I could respond to this review (I've been following the W1060/A81 for some time now).

First, are you aware how quickly the internet is flooded with references to your W1060 review... all somewhat misrepresenting the MID and emphasizing the "slow/bad internet explorer" aspect of it? It's kind of like a politician... some get good coverage and exposure, others get bad, and often there's not really any difference between one and the other except for the way the media covers them. There's so much good about this little device, it's a shame that (so far) the headlines are headlining "mediocre web browsing"!!!

The W1060 is the MID device that I was setting money aside for... until a couple weeks ago when I purchased what was perhaps the best deal on ebay (for a umpc which I had followed and consider one of the most well designed tablet computers I have ever used, Intel's Classmate/Schoolmate.)

Here's to JDiddly....
I'm one to keep up with the bargains and thought I would pass this one on to you... it's almost too good to pass up. Today, on Amazon, the Archos 7 (another device I have kept up with) has been reduced to $219.99 with Free shipping!! In spite of it's flaws and bad customer support, this little media player is about the only thing going in this form factor which has a huge hard drive of 160gb (the one offered at this price). And, I haven't seen many people who realize this unit, with it's closed operating system, is one of the best flash-app players around (thus getting around the OS). You just have to search the net for 'flash apps' to find all kind of programs which operate well on the Archos.

Sorry to get off track. I realize this forum is about the W1060, so I'll end by adding another two-cents worth of drivel. Don't let the Wince operating system be considered a detriment. I've used variations of this OS for over ten years and still consider it quite versatile and once it's tweeked, a virtual powerhouse amongst instant-on OS's.

Thanks for your forum and thanks for letting me blab!
pphilipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 01:16 PM   #39
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
@pphilip: Thank you for your great comments. I just wanted to add that in no way was my review supposed to be negative for this device. Quite on the contrary, I think this is a beautiful device and with some updates to the firmware could be one of the best devices in this form factor for the money. It seems like some of the other sites concentrated on the only negative area I discovered instead of the other great parts of the device. That is completely out of my control, unfortunately. I have to be honest about the results I did have and will continue to be so in my future reviews. I try to leave my feelings out of it and use professionalism instead. If I didn't post the complete truth, other folks would lose faith in my honest reviews and think I'm just trying to sell these units for someone, which I am not, I'm just a device junkie.

P.S. I will answer some of the questions asked above in just a bit. I have to run out and do some errands.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 01:44 PM   #40
pphilipp
Addict
pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Apple iPad 3 (I have owned many other tablets)
I had read your review before the other headlines hit. I was actually quite surprised they had over-looked all your positive observations and concentrated on the one really major negative aspect of your entire review. It seems the other sites didn't even go to the source (your review) but only repeated what they saw on the first site which mentioned your review.

Like many others, I appreciate your reviews; weigh the pros and cons; and make decisions based upon what are the important aspects of my own personal needs. Keep up the reviews, and continue relating the truth.

I look forward to your W1010 and Nationite/Chuwi reviews as well.
pphilipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 03:26 PM   #41
Dvalin21
Zealot
Dvalin21 began at the beginning.

Device: VS Gtablet/Zenithink/GS II T-Mobile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvalin21 View Post
To Coldsun,

"Does the W1060 play .MKV, RMVB, RM, or MP4 files? And lastly does the W1060 play HD video files better than the q7? Thanks in advance. Please forgive me if you anwsered these questions before."

Can anyone help me out with the rest of my questions thanks
Dvalin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 03:37 PM   #42
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
@Dvalin21: MKV support is coming soon. It plays MP4 files, but I haven't tested RM or RMVB. I don't think RM would be a problem as long as you find a player that supports it. I'll see if I can find something to test this with today.

Last edited by ColdSun; 12-03-2009 at 03:39 PM.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 04:57 PM   #43
Nation.A.List
Addict
Nation.A.List doesn't litterNation.A.List doesn't litter

Device: SmartQ 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtraSF View Post
Hi everybody,
I wonder if i can use this tablet( the W1060 ) for internet surfing using a USB Internet Dongle - i would like to browse the internet at the cafe.
If not..does the Q7 allow for that with it's USB Host mode?

Thanks in advance.
Coldsun will have to comment re the W1060 but I can confirm the Q7 can use a 3G dongle for web browsing in the wild.
Nation.A.List is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 01:22 AM   #44
serwei
Enthusiast
serwei began at the beginning.

Device: Smart Q7
sheesh the touch screen was the main gripe about my Q7, I can't reliably doodle or peck the keyboard... hence didn't get the CE option for my Q7...

http://haali.su/pocketpc/
the ARM b264.
I just ran it again to check, it runs in english on my phone...

main advantage about CE is that there's a LIT reader (TinyReader) without having to convert (ABCLit)

the main diff between CE and WM is that some of the prettier APIs are WM-only. but for games u can try All Mobile Mines and/or Hexavirus to see how much API overlap there is .

Damn but I still like my Q7 despite the poor touch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdSun View Post
LOL.

@serwei: I'll try some of the things you suggested. Question - is there an English version of Haali I can download? I couldn't find it anywhere, but it looked like a nice little reader and I would like to test it.

The touch on this device is very responsive, much better than my Q7. It feels like using my iPod Touch. No pushing hard to get it to work, no touching twice because it didn't touch the first time.
serwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 01:29 AM   #45
serwei
Enthusiast
serwei began at the beginning.

Device: Smart Q7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nation.A.List View Post
Maybe if Microsoft decides to support the ARM processor, until then you will only be able to run Windows (excluding WinCE) via an emulator, and at present the best you could hope for would be Win 3.11, so a long way to go to get to 7
from Windows Server 2008/9, the Windows model starts to follow Linux. They're aiming to strip out a "kernel" and tack everything as packages (DLLs).

CE is actually based on 3.1 architecture. But its apps base outweigh its flaws. Speed is not the essence for a mobile device, battery life is.

Actually I'm quite OS agnostic as long as they support my data filetypes and features. Linux, CE, whatever.
serwei is offline   Reply With Quote