Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 06-28-2009, 05:47 PM   #31
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by tin1 View Post
The RAM chips are soldered on and can only be replaced if you have them removed and new chips soldered on.
Bummer, You'd think that guys who are smart enough to engineer these things would realize that the fifty cents or so that it would cost to put in a 200 pin socket is trivial.

Especially at some of the prices I've seen people ask for these things. The original Korean versions originally sold for $1500 USD. I guess that's why buy.com can sell them for $270.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 08:44 PM   #32
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Does anyone know if the mini SD slot can handle mini SDHC cards?
Advert
Old 06-28-2009, 11:01 PM   #33
wodin
Illiterate

Well, I've spent the better part of the weekend obsessing over this little critter, and after loading and unloading multiple applications, I decided that MS OneNote is EXACTLY the application I need. Unfortunately it's a little more robust (bloated) than I need, and the little beastie tries valiantly, but just doesn't have the huevos to run it.

Anybody know of a pen based notebook/filer/data miner that doesn't have the bloat?
Old 06-29-2009, 01:10 PM   #34
StealthRT
StealthRT began at the beginning.

Device: none
wodin:
You may want to open the PC up and see what kind of RAM chip is soldered onto it (and how many of them). I'm waiting on mine to get to me and i was planning on opening it up and seeing what type of RAM chips were being used and go searching for higher capacity. Then i was going to post in some electrical forum and find someone who's experienced with de-soldering them and soldering back on.

David
StealthRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 03:20 PM   #35
skyfish
Enthusiast
skyfish has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: NOOK, Win8 tablet, iPad
According to the other forum, the memory uses BGA chips. So it is hard to swap it.

the part number is Samsung K4T51163QE-ZCE6, 512Mb (64MB) each. Find a compatible chip with larger size, with right equipments and a lot of experience, it might be do-able.
skyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2009, 09:34 PM   #36
wodin
Illiterate

Quote:
Originally Posted by tin1 View Post
I've been messing around with mine the last few days as well. I've tried eboostr on it because of the lack of RAM and it seems to work ok. I'm pretty sure it isn't running USB 2.0 with my usb stick and that is why it isn't as good as it could be. The RAM chips are soldered on and can only be replaced if you have them removed and new chips soldered on. I'm going to try the mini SD card next and see if it offers any better performance.

Windows 7 has readyboost built in. It may work as well.
Thanks for that, I loaded up eboostr on a thumb drive and now it's at least usable; running MS OneNote just fine. I ordered a Micro SDHC card with a mini adaptor from Amazon, so when it comes in I guess I’ll go ahead and pay for eboostr.

Now that I’ve decided to keep da li’l buggah, I’ll need to think up a name for him! Hmmmm, maybe da lil buggah … Naw, that’ll never do!
Old 06-30-2009, 12:09 AM   #37
StealthRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfish View Post
According to the other forum, the memory uses BGA chips. So it is hard to swap it.

the part number is Samsung K4T51163QE-ZCE6, 512Mb (64MB) each. Find a compatible chip with larger size, with right equipments and a lot of experience, it might be do-able.
Hey thanks skyfish for sending that information about the RAM over. I did a search and i do believe that this here would work for the PC. Only problem is trying to find someone with the speical equipment needed in order to de-solder one and solder the others on.. Since there are 8 of them on the PC, it would total 2GB's.

I'm sure it can be done-i just dont have the tools to do it or i would (and offer to upgrade everyone elses)

David
Old 06-30-2009, 01:19 AM   #38
wodin
Illiterate

From poking around in the Handtops UMPC forum, I don't think the Via can address 2 GB. My memory (pun not intended) might be faulty though.

Last edited by wodin; 06-30-2009 at 01:22 AM.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:56 AM   #39
celtica96
Zealot
celtica96 began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia N800, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, SmartQ 5 & 7, Mirus CT9W7
ADV3500PC RAM Upgrade

Just a note of caution here about physically upgrading the RAM.

I posted this on another thread but it's relevant here, too:

"The amount of RAM is also limited by the BIOS so it's not just a matter of adding RAM. The BIOS would likely need reprogramming. I've run into this on systems like the Fujitsu B2630, which has 256MB of RAM that can be swapped out for 512MB but the BIOS won't recognize the new configuration."

Of course, I would love for the efforts to be successful so anyone who is brave enough to take apart their ADV3500PC and try to upgrade the RAM chips has my enthusiastic support.
celtica96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 01:35 PM   #40
celtica96
Zealot

Success With Bluetooth

I was able to get a Bluetooth mouse working with the ADV3500PC yesterday.

I purchased a refurbished Targus AMB01US at Micro Center this weekend for around $10 (originally $60). I didn't bother using the supplied Bluetooth dongle--the built-in BT on the ADV3500PC worked perfectly.

Also, I was able to pair the ADV3500PC with a Gateway laptop via Bluetooth to share an Internet connection.

For specs and more about the mouse, see http://www.targus.com/us/drivers_man...sp?sku=AMB01US.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:30 PM   #41
wodin
Illiterate

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtica96 View Post
I was able to get a Bluetooth mouse working with the ADV3500PC yesterday.

I purchased a refurbished Targus AMB01US at Micro Center this weekend for around $10 (originally $60). I didn't bother using the supplied Bluetooth dongle--the built-in BT on the ADV3500PC worked perfectly.

Also, I was able to pair the ADV3500PC with a Gateway laptop via Bluetooth to share an Internet connection.

For specs and more about the mouse, see http://www.targus.com/us/drivers_man...sp?sku=AMB01US.
I have a Stowaway Sierra BT keyboard that I haven't been able to get paired. I don’t have any drivers for it or a manual, and the manufacturer has stopped supporting it. When I try to pair it, the tablet doesn’t see it.

It sees my Cell phone and my Nokia N800 tablet, but not the keyboard. Not having a manual for the keyboard, so I’m not sure how to make it discoverable, or if there is a hidden on/off switch somewhere. From what I’ve seen, it shouldn’t need a driver for WinXP but then …
Old 06-30-2009, 04:01 PM   #42
celtica96
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
I have a Stowaway Sierra BT keyboard that I haven't been able to get paired. I don’t have any drivers for it or a manual, and the manufacturer has stopped supporting it. When I try to pair it, the tablet doesn’t see it.

It sees my Cell phone and my Nokia N800 tablet, but not the keyboard. Not having a manual for the keyboard, so I’m not sure how to make it discoverable, or if there is a hidden on/off switch somewhere. From what I’ve seen, it shouldn’t need a driver for WinXP but then …
@wodin
I was able to locate a version of the ThinkOutside Sierra BT Keyboard manual here: http://corporate.igo.com/support/Dow...0Manual_US.pdf.

Here are some tips for pairing the ThinkOutside Sierra BT keyboard with the N800 and you may need to follow part of the process to get it to pair up: http://talk.maemo.org/archive/index.php/t-3915.html.

Also, you can try contacting Kevin C. Tofel (he did a review here: http://jkontherun.com/2006/09/20/thinkoutside_si/).

I hope that helps.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:37 PM   #43
wodin
Illiterate

AAARRRGGGHHH!

Need more USB ports. Got a thumb drive in one for eBooster, and a cellular modem dongle in the other, no room for KB or mouse. The dongle needs power, so using a hub with that would necessitate another wallwart, and I don’t want to move the thumbdrive and take a chance on a performance hit. It’ll be better when my mini SD card arrives.

BTW, I dumped Symantec Endpoint Protection and loaded AVG free antivirus instead. I should have known better than to load Symantec Resource Hog on anything with less than optimal horsepower.

The lil buggah works pretty well with the cellular modem, it approximates the performance I get on my WiFi n network at home.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:45 AM   #44
StealthRT

Just found a good site for drivers:

http://firelife.dyn.dhs.org/adv3500pc/

And here is the forum where i got that information (plus someone took pics of it taken apart)

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/932789

David
Old 07-02-2009, 02:06 AM   #45
wodin
Illiterate

Wow, Great find, here you go, have some karma!