Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 08-15-2022, 02:19 PM   #1
salty-horse
Wizard
salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E
Mysterious font information in AZW3 file

Reading a recently-purchased Kindle file in the Kindle app in KFX format, I see that "computer text" sections in the book are styled with "font-family: monospace".

When I ask the Kindle software for the ebook in AZW3 format, those text sections are not monospace, but in the CSS file, the style definition for it contains a font name.

Looking at a copy of the physical book, I see it uses this font for those sections.

What's going on here? I assumed the KFX format is the "best" one provided by Amazon, as it includes embedded fonts. Why doesn't it include the actual fonts that the AZW3 file hints at?

Is it a quirk of this particular ebook, something the ebook creation software left in? Or is this a case of information loss in the Kindle publishing system when it converts between formats?
salty-horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 02:23 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
When I see font names in the CSS that are not embedded, I change the code to use the same sort of font type when possible.

For serif, I just delete the line as I use serif anyway.
For sans serif, I use font-family: sans-serif;
For monospace, I use font-family: monospace;
For some other type, what I use depends on the font and what it's used for.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2022, 02:25 PM   #3
salty-horse
Wizard
salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I added the relevant font to the file, myself. Looks much better now, just like the print edition.

But where are those commented font names coming from?
Old 08-15-2022, 02:40 PM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
AZW3 / KF8 also can have embedded fonts. Download for USB transfer to to get that instead of KFX.
You do have to go to Aa menu and select Publisher.

if the fonts are declared properly you'll get some sort of built-in monospace, even with mobi-KF7 format or azw3/KF8 without any embedded monospace.

KFX uses different rendering and more DRM. I'd not call it the best Amazon format.

Even big publishers often code / format ebooks badly, using inept people with very expensive packages, whereas free Calibre or Sigil from a properly formatted MS Word (or LO Writer via extra docx Save As) can produce a near perfect epub for upload to Amazon. Amazon then convert that to at least 3 formats and send the one they think is appropriate.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 02:58 PM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
But where are those commented font names coming from?
The file should start (but doesn't always) as an MS Word or LO Writer document with Paragraph Styles (translate to <p class="whatever-head" ...> or <hn class="whatever-body"> where n is the heading level.
Then the CSS has .whatever-etc{ ... } where ... is the font name, size, style, paddings, margin etc in the original Word docx paragraph, heading or character styles. Character styles become <span class="somecharstyle" etc>text</span> in a <p> paragraph </p>
Naked tags will use outer <div> or <body> styles.
CSS = Cascading Style Sheets
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2022, 04:45 PM   #6
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
I have seen books that call for a font that is not actually present either because the publisher failed to include it or because Amazon stripped it out.

Also KF8 and KFX deal differently with embedded fonts. In KF8 you usually need to choose the Publisher Font option in the Aa menu in order to see them.

It would be helpful to know the ASIN of the book in order to be able to research this issue.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 05:03 PM   #7
salty-horse
Wizard

The book is Planetfall by Emma Newman, ASIN B00SI0B65W
A physical copy can be borrowed on the Internet Archive.

The "computer text" is on the first chapter. Search for "come to the west gate".

I'm using the Kindle app for Android and I don't see a "Publisher Font" option.

The AZW3 CSS looks like this:
Code:
p.x06-Text-Message {
   /*"Briem Akademi Std"*/
  font-size:0.83em;
  margin: 1.82em 10%;
  text-indent:0;
}
Old 08-15-2022, 07:19 PM   #8
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for sharing the ASIN. There is something strange going on with that book.

Usually KF8 format is closest to what the publisher originally provided and KFX format is derived from the same source. That does not seem to be the case here.

For this book KFX contains formatting elements that are not present or are broken in the KF8 version. I have never seen this before and I don't know how it could happen. My best guess is that the publisher (Penguin) provided the book to Amazon in an unusual format (perhaps Adobe InDesign) that was then converted to both KF8 (badly) and KFX (better) by Amazon.
Old 08-15-2022, 07:35 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty-horse View Post
The book is Planetfall by Emma Newman, ASIN B00SI0B65W
A physical copy can be borrowed on the Internet Archive.

The "computer text" is on the first chapter. Search for "come to the west gate".

I'm using the Kindle app for Android and I don't see a "Publisher Font" option.

The AZW3 CSS looks like this:
Code:
p.x06-Text-Message {
   /*"Briem Akademi Std"*/
  font-size:0.83em;
  text-indent:0;
}
Here is the same CSS class from the ePub version.
Code:
p.x06-Text-Message {
  font-family: monospace;
  /*"Briem Akademi Std"*/
  font-size: 0.83em;
  text-indent: 0;
}
As you can see, font-family is there. The font name is the font used in the pBook.
Old 08-15-2022, 07:36 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Would it be OK to post the CSS from the ePub version or would that not be allowed?
Old 08-15-2022, 08:43 PM   #11
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Here is the same CSS class from the ePub version.
Code:
p.x06-Text-Message {
…
As you can see, font-family is there. The font name is the font used in the pBook.
OK. That confuses me even more. It looks like my previous guess about what is going on was wrong.

The KFX version of the book has that font family but the KF8 version does not. I now suppose the most likely explanation is that the EPUB source was provided by the publisher and Amazon stripped out the font-family properties from the KF8 version but left them in the KFX version. That behavior is new to me.
Old 08-16-2022, 05:04 AM   #12
salty-horse
Wizard

Since the ePub and AZW3 have the same commented fonts, I'm thinking maybe they couldn't include them in the ebooks, maybe due to rights issues...?

Maybe the monospace font is a later addition, when they noticed a problem with differentiating the computer text with regular text (which sometimes appear together in the same line). So they added the monospace style to the KFX and the ePub, but not to the AZW3...? Does Amazon's publishing system lets you edit these two formats separately?
Old 08-16-2022, 05:19 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Here is the CSS from the ePub version with a few changes. I removed the font size that makes the body text small. So now it's the default size. I added in my body style, and I removed the Widows and Orphans of 2 since my body style has them as 1. Other then that it's the same CSS.

font-size: 0.83em; as shown int he CSS snippet above is really annoying as it makes the base font size smaller. That means then having to adjust your font size and then when you open a new book that has the 1em font size, having to change it back.

So here is the CSS code you could try in the KF8.

Code:
body, div, dl, dt, dd, h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, p, pre, code, blockquote {
  font-weight: normal;
  font-style: normal;
}
body {
  widows: 1;
  orphans: 1;
  margin-top: 0;
  margin-right: 0;
  margin-bottom: 0;
  margin-left: 0;
  text-align: justify;
}
p.x01-FM-Ack {
  font-family: serif;
  /*"Sabon LT Std"*/
  margin: 0;
  text-indent: 1.67em;
}
p.x01-FM-Ack-FL {
  /*"Sabon LT Std"*/
}
p.x01-FM-Ack-Head {
  color: #9d9fa2;
  font-family: sans-serif;
  /*"Briem Akademi Std Semibold Cond"*/
  font-size: 1.583em;
  font-weight: bold;
  margin: 15% 1.47em 2em 0;
  text-align: right;
}
p.x01-FM-Copyright-Text {
  /*"Times LT Std"*/
  font-size: 0.583em;
  text-align: center;
}
p.x01-FM-Copyright-Text-Space {
  /*"Times LT Std"*/
  font-size: 0.583em;
  margin: 1.14em 0 0 0;
}
p.x01-FM-Dedi-Body {
  /*"Trade Gothic LT Std Cn"*/
  font-size: 0.833em;
  font-style: italic;
  margin: 15% 0 0 0;
}
p.x01-FM-Front-Sales-Headnote-FL {
  font-size: 0.917em;
  margin: 15% 0 0.36em 0;
}
p.x01-FM-Front-Sales-Headnote {
  font-size: 0.917em;
  margin: 1.2em 0 0.36em 0;
}
p.x01-FM-Front-Sales-Quote {
  /*"Sabon LT Std"*/
  font-size: 0.854em;
  margin: 1.37em 0 0 0;
}
p.x01-FM-Front-Sales-Source {
  /*"Sabon LT Std"*/
  font-size: 0.771em;
}
p.x01-FM-Front-Sales-Subhead {
  font-size: 0.771em;
}
p.x01-FM-Front-Sales-Title-No-Space {
  color: #9d9fa2;
  /*"Briem Akademi Std Semibold Cond"*/
  font-size: 2.25em;
  margin: 0.67em 0 0 0;
}
p.x03-CO-Body-Text {
  /*"Sabon LT Std"*/
}
h1.x03-Chapter-Number {
  color: #c7c8ca;
  /*"Briem Akademi Std Cond"*/
  font-size: 3.333em;
  margin: 15% 0.7em 1.5em 0;
  page-break-after: avoid;
}
p.x04-Body-Text {
  /*"Sabon LT Std"*/
  text-indent: 1.67em;
}
p.x04-Space-Break-FL {
  /*"Sabon LT Std"*/
}
div.x04-Space-Break-Orn {
  /*"Sabon LT Std"*/
  margin: 1em 0;
}
p.x06-Text-Message {
  /*"Briem Akademi Std"*/
}
p.xCaption {
  /*"Sabon LT Std"*/
  font-size: 0.438em;
  margin: 0 0 1.5em 0;
}
span._6-Text-Message-Inline {
  /*"Briem Akademi Std"*/
}
span.CO-and-SB {
}
span.SCAP {
  font-size: 70%;
}
div.h100 {
  height: 100%;
  max-width: 100%;
}
img.h100 {
  height: 100%;
  max-width: 100%;
}
div.w30c {
  max-height: 100%;
  margin-left: 35%;
  margin-right: 35%;
}
img.w30c {
  max-height: 100%;
  width: 100%;
}
img.h2em {
  height: 2em;
}
img.h4em {
  height: 4em;
}
.x01-FM-Contents-FL {
  font-size: 1em;
  margin: 0 0 0 1.5em;
  text-indent: -1.5em;
}
.x01-FM-Contents-Space {
  font-size: 1em;
  margin: 1em 0 0 1.5em;
  text-indent: -1.5em;
}
h1.x01-FM-Head {
  color: #c7c8ca;
  /*"Briem Akademi Std Cond"*/
  font-size: 3.333em;
  margin: 15% 0.7em 1.5em 0;
}
hr.transition {
  display: block;
  border: none;
}

Last edited by JSWolf; 08-16-2022 at 05:21 AM.
Old 08-16-2022, 06:38 AM   #14
salty-horse
Wizard

I'm sticking with the AZW3 (converted to epub) - I added the print book's text message font, and might change the body text size to normal.
Old 08-16-2022, 09:04 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty-horse View Post
I'm sticking with the AZW3 (converted to epub) - I added the print book's text message font, and might change the body text size to normal.
Take the KF8, swap the CSS, and then convert to ePub. You'll have a better ePub.