Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 03-20-2021, 06:16 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
How is the code using Kindle Create to make Kindle eBooks?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 09:39 PM   #32
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
How is the code using Kindle Create to make Kindle eBooks?
I don't understand the question.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2021, 11:40 PM   #33
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Seems correct to me.
@jhowell, thank you, as always, for enlightenment

Also, thank you to @Tex2002ans for shedding light in dark corners

Last edited by odamizu; 03-21-2021 at 12:42 PM.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 07:13 AM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I don't understand the question.
Some program such as Vellum and Pages create rubbish code. How is the code from Kindle Create?
Old 03-21-2021, 03:22 PM   #35
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Some program such as Vellum and Pages create rubbish code. How is the code from Kindle Create?
Kindle Create uses Aspose Words for Java to convert DOCX to HTML which is then converted to KFX format.

KFX is like a cross between HTML and JSON. It focuses on visual rending over semantics. For example there is no distinctions between <p>, <div>, and <h#> elements in KFX. They are are all "text" distinguished by the styling applied.

The conversion tends to produce lots of styles that differ only slightly from each other. Compared to hand coded HTML/CSS the code produced is poor.
Advert
Old 03-21-2021, 03:37 PM   #36
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Kindle Create uses Aspose Words for Java to convert DOCX to HTML which is then converted to KFX format.

KFX is like a cross between HTML and JSON. It focuses on visual rending over semantics. For example there is no distinctions between <p>, <div>, and <h#> elements in KFX. They are are all "text" distinguished by the styling applied.

The conversion tends to produce lots of styles that differ only slightly from each other. Compared to hand coded HTML/CSS the code produced is poor.
AMEN, brother. Jhowell recently was kind enough to help me with a customer's stranded KPF file and Lord, it's different than what I'm accustomed to seeing. BUT, we can clean it. It's not Vellum, and it's not the iAuthor crap either.

To be fair, Pages, like Word, outputs moderately-viable HTML If, if, if the user is religious about styles. But if they type ad hoc, it's far worse than the ad hoc Word output, agreed. iAuthor's output is simply godawful. Worst thing I've ever seen, in this realm.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 04:36 PM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Thanks for the incite into some of these eBook creation programs.

Given how awful some of these programs are, why are they used? I've seen some pretty awful self-published eBooks at Amazon. If it wasn't for the fact that I know what I'm doing to fix the mess (create my own CSS), I'd have been really annoyed trying to get them in decent form over to ePub.
Old 03-25-2021, 04:12 PM   #38
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
Any guesses or speculation on how many publishers upload epub vs Previewer KPF?

(I'd like to think most publishers upload epub. Wouldn't that make sense if they are also distributing to other vendors, like Kobo, GooglePlay, and Overdrive? Or am I exercising wishful thinking?)
It's what I've been doing since Hitch told me I could (January 2012), but my guess is that maybe 5 percent of us do so?

As for Kobo, B&N, Apple, and lesser outlets, again, I'd guess that's about 5 percent of KDP self-pubbers. The world is full of lemmings. I sing the song of epub twice a day, almost every day, but very few are willing to give up 0.45 cents per page read in KU or the "free promos" in Select. They are happy to follow Amazon back to the good old days of 35 percent "royalty".
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 12:50 PM   #39
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
About 1/3 rd of of our sales are NOT on Amazon. KDP Select ought to be illegal. Cheats consumers and authors.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 08:10 PM   #40
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
About 1/3 rd of of our sales are NOT on Amazon. KDP Select ought to be illegal. Cheats consumers and authors.
What? I'm not following this segue.

I do want to say, though...I get real value from KU. I read at least 3 books/week during the workweek and typically 2 more on the weekend. About 2/3rds of these are KU books. If I were paying, I'd be paying at least $4-$6/each and so my KU subscription saves me money.

I'm positive that Amazon earns off of KU; they surely have scads of customers that use it like spa memberships. Sign up, don't use. It's "only" $10/month, amirite?

So...sure, perhaps it isn't great for the authors, but I also have to say, I've read many, MANY writers whose works I would not have, if not for KU. I wouldn't have tried them, wouldn't have paid; but now, they've earned the KU royalties/fees/whatever you want to call them. And then I've gone on to read the rest of the books in their series. Sometimes paying more than I'd like, but...it worked. They hooked me and I read.

Just as a reader and KU customer...thought I'd pipe up.

Hitch
Old 03-27-2021, 09:16 AM   #41
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
KU does benefit heavy readers.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 11:00 AM   #42
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
I get real value from KU. I read at least 3 books/week during the workweek and typically 2 more on the weekend. About 2/3rds of these are KU books.
You are a glutton for punishment! I can't get through five books a month, and none is self-published.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 12:39 PM   #43
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
KU does benefit heavy readers.
Indeed it does, especially if, like me, after 12-hour days and a lot (a LOT) of non-fiction work, you prefer to relax with what I refer to as "potato chip" books. Books that are effectively cozy mysteries, or Harry-Dresden-ish, etc. There are many serious contenders in those arenas, as well as sci-fi, although it's hard to find quality sci-fi in the self-pub ranks. What I'd call Space Opera, sure, but Frank Herbert, not so much. Of course, to be fair, you won't find many Herberts in trade-pubbed stuff, either.

I'm told that the romance, romantica and of course, erotica areas are swamped with self-pubbed books.

Oh, and GAWD, Holmes pastiches, of which I have found almost none worthwhile reading. I keep praying for some, though. I'm a total Holmes Ho. The real Holmes, ACD's Holmes, not RDJ's Holmes, as entertaining as he might be. (And not the "Holmes" of that Irregulars show, either. Don't get me bloody started!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
You are a glutton for punishment! I can't get through five books a month, and none is self-published.
I think you would be surprised, brother. Granted, there are many self-pubs who are utterly untrained, who wouldn't know a mirrored subplot tosave their lives and all that, but there are some that are moving right along. I know a self-pub that's been writing for dog's years, never picked up, never trade-pubbed and he's pulling down $80K/month. (Yes, I've seen actual proof, because I had the same initial reaction you're having.) You don't do that by writing total schlock.

Hitch
Old 06-29-2021, 10:42 PM   #44
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Amazon has extended the deadline for accepting MOBI format when publishing reflowable books to the end of July.

Quote:
Updates to Kindle eBook file formatting support - MOBI support extended through July 31, 2021

June 28, 2021

On March 15, we announced our decision to no longer support files in MOBI, PRC or AZK formats when publishing new reflowable eBooks or updating the content for previously published eBooks. To help authors ease into the transition away from MOBI files for reflowable eBooks, we are extending support for reflowable eBooks in MOBI format through July 31 2021. Starting August 1, 2021, we will no longer support files in MOBI, PRC or AZK formats when publishing new reflowable eBooks or updating the content for previously published eBooks. Instead we ask authors to use EPUB, KPF (Kindle Create files), or DOC/DOCX (Microsoft Word files) for reflowable eBooks. Please note MOBI files are still accepted for fixed-layout eBooks.

Last edited by jhowell; 06-30-2021 at 10:49 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-30-2021, 09:56 AM   #45
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Amazon has extended to deadline for accepting MOBI format when publishing reflowable books to the end of July.
Yeah and we tested it yesterday and so far, nothing's changed.

Hitch