Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 03-19-2021, 10:05 AM   #16
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I suspect that practically no one publishes using a KPF file produced using the Kindle Previewer. There is no advantage to doing that instead of the EPUB or DOCX source document, except possibly in the case Hitch mentions where she wants to be sure that the file destined for Amazon gets used.
Yes, but if we give them KPF, then they can't dl a preview mobi and OMG, do I get to hear that loud and clear, too. It's a no-win.

Quote:
I don't recall having access to a book published using a Previewer KPF. It would be informative if we could be sure that it was actually published that way.
It would be informative if we had both. Right? I mean...if there were some miracle by which we could double-publish a book, one in MOBI or ePUB, one in KPF....(sigh). As if that would ever happen.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 10:21 AM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If Mobi was to go away, then publishing at Amazon could be so much easier.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2021, 10:21 AM   #18
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Somewhat related to the topic of this thread is a change in the recent Kindle firmware release (5.13.5). This makes the "Publisher Font" option only available in books in KF8 (azw3) format when the book has the internal metadata field EXTH 528 (OverrideKindleFonts) set to "true". Books converted using kindlegen or the Kindle Previewer will have this metadata set and will work properly.

However books that were converted using calibre (and possibly other third party tools) lack this metadata and will no longer have Publisher Fonts available in devices using the new Kindle firmware.

This change will mostly affect those who sell Kindle books outside of Amazon's ecosystem and Kindle users who sideload books since they are more likely to make use of non-Amazon tools.

I am not sure whether this change was intentional or a bug. It might be an early indicator of Amazon's desire to reduce the creation of Kindle books outside of their control.

Last edited by jhowell; 03-19-2021 at 10:24 AM. Reason: typos
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 10:33 AM   #19
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Somewhat related to the topic of this thread is a change in the recent Kindle firmware release (5.13.5). This makes the "Publisher Font" option only available in books in KF8 (azw3) format when the book has the internal metadata field EXTH 528 (OverrideKindleFonts) set to "true". Books converted using kindlegen or the Kindle Previewer will have this metadata set and will work properly.

However books that were converted using calibre (and possibly other third party tools) lack this metadata and will no longer have Publisher Fonts available in devices using the new Kindle firmware.

This change will mostly affect those who sell Kindle books outside of Amazon's ecosystem and Kindle users who sideload books since they are more likely to make use of non-Amazon tools.

I am not sure whether this change was intentional or a bug. It might be an early indicator of Amazon's desire to reduce the creation of Kindle books outside of their control.
YUP, I saw this coming....

I'm reasonably certain it's deliberate.

Hitch
Old 03-19-2021, 10:44 AM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
How easy would it be to modify Calibre to set EXTH 528 to true on conversion or save from the editor?

Also, with EXTH 528 not set to true, can side loaded fonts still be used?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2021, 12:14 PM   #21
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If Mobi was to go away, then publishing at Amazon could be so much easier.
If Amazon supported epub on their devices and didn't use proprietary formats at all, then it would be better. But Mobi as such makes no difference to publishing at Amazon. Recommended upload for years to KDP has been epub 1st, docx 2nd and not to use mobi at all.

I've an open mind if disabling Publisher fonts on 3rd party content is a bug or deliberate. Anyone rich enough could sue them for NOW crippling Kindles to content not from Amazon. Pay TV Satellite box makers got forbidden in EU to block FTA content not from the box supplier. They might be allowed do this deliberately in some countries. Other places might take a dim view of such anti-consumer behaviour.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 01:57 PM   #22
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
How easy would it be to modify Calibre to set EXTH 528 to true on conversion or save from the editor?
It should only be set if fonts are present in the book. I don't know how difficult a change it would be.

Quote:
Also, with EXTH 528 not set to true, can side loaded fonts still be used?
That metadata only enables the "Publisher Font" choice in the font menu. It does not affect other font choices.
Old 03-19-2021, 02:04 PM   #23
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I've an open mind if disabling Publisher fonts on 3rd party content is a bug or deliberate. Anyone rich enough could sue them for NOW crippling Kindles to content not from Amazon.
It is only a problem because third party software does not replicate the file format as produced by the tools made freely available by Amazon.
Old 03-19-2021, 03:10 PM   #24
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
I'm getting confused. Who exactly uses KDP (i.e., who does this this new no-more-mobi policy affect)? Is it primarily independent self-published individual authors? Small publishing houses? Or do all books, even from big publishing houses, go through KDP?

And if KDP isn't used by everyone to get Kindle books to Amazon, what is the alternative that is used instead?

(When this discussion began I thought all new Kindle books would be affected, but now I'm thinking I don't understand what KDP is )

Thank you for any enlightenment.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 03:14 PM   #25
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post

And if KDP isn't used by everyone to get Kindle books to Amazon, what is the alternative that is used instead?
EPUB or docx.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 03:27 PM   #26
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
If Amazon supported epub on their devices and didn't use proprietary formats at all, then it would be better. But Mobi as such makes no difference to publishing at Amazon. Recommended upload for years to KDP has been epub 1st, docx 2nd and not to use mobi at all.

I've an open mind if disabling Publisher fonts on 3rd party content is a bug or deliberate. Anyone rich enough could sue them for NOW crippling Kindles to content not from Amazon. Pay TV Satellite box makers got forbidden in EU to block FTA content not from the box supplier. They might be allowed do this deliberately in some countries. Other places might take a dim view of such anti-consumer behaviour.
Oh Bollocks. I love ya, but get real. "Crippling" them how? Amazon has never guaranteed that any embedded fonts would work. And they've never said "oh, hear ye, hear ye, these eInks are tablets and you can do whatever you want with them."

What, so Suzie can't see the headings in Trajan Pro, and is "stuck" with Baskerville, instead? I'll bet you Amazon can make a factual use case that 98% of its customers don't use Publisher Fonts any-damned-way. So....

For that matter, you can't put a MOBI into iBooks. You think anybody is going to sue iBooks, for "crippling" the app to not accept content from other vendors?

Nyah. It's not the same thing as blocking FTA content. It's just saying that their own content has more possible features. HUUUGE difference and they could also argue that the MILLIONS of Word-built ebooks don't have publisher fonts, either.

Sorry, old buddy mine, but I don't think that argument even has big toes, never mind legs.

Hitch
Old 03-19-2021, 06:01 PM   #27
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm getting confused. Who exactly uses KDP (i.e., who does this this new no-more-mobi policy affect)? Is it primarily independent self-published individual authors? Small publishing houses? Or do all books, even from big publishing houses, go through KDP?

(When this discussion began I thought all new Kindle books would be affected, but now I'm thinking I don't understand what KDP is )

Thank you for any enlightenment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
EPUB or docx.
No, I'm not talking about the KPF format (to which EPUB and DOCX are alternatives). I'm talking about KDP (Kindle Direct Publishing platform) which will no longer accept MOBI as of June 28.

Do all publishers upload to Kindle Direct Publishing platform to distribute books to Amazon? or is it primarily independent self-published individual authors?

And if KDP isn't used by everyone, what is the alternative method/platform that is used instead?
Old 03-19-2021, 11:48 PM   #28
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Do all publishers upload to Kindle Direct Publishing platform to distribute books to Amazon? or is it primarily independent self-published individual authors?

And if KDP isn't used by everyone, what is the alternative method/platform that is used instead?
Everybody uses KDP besides some larger publishers. If they have a deal with Amazon, they're able to access FTP uploads (directly uploading the files to Amazon's servers).

FTP allows them to upload ebooks with audio/video + do more complicated things (magazine subscriptions, Kindle in Motion, ONIX, etc.).

Hitch has also mentioned this many times over the years. For example:

2014: "embed video in Kindle/mobi?"

2019: "(sigh), Kindle/KPF format Blues..." (even see my Post #82).

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 03-19-2021 at 11:55 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 01:30 AM   #29
odamizu
just an egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
Everybody uses KDP besides some larger publishers.
Thank you.

So if I'm understanding correctly from the various posts in this thread ...
  • Most everybody uses KDP to get their books on Amazon, except some big publishers who have access to direct uploads via FTP
  • Most everybody uploads EPUB or DOCX to KDP (and I'm guessing big publishers upload EPUB as I can't imagine them uploading Word docs)
  • Amazon will convert both EPUB and DOCX into KF7, KF8 and KFX
  • If a publisher uploads KPF created using Kindle Create, Amazon will likely (definitely?) convert it only to KF7 and KFX, no more KF8
  • It's yet unknown whether Amazon will convert KPF created using Kindle Previewer into KF7, KF8 and KFX or only KF7 and KFX
  • We don't think Amazon is phasing out KF8???

Does that all sound about right?
Old 03-20-2021, 05:46 PM   #30
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Does that all sound about right?
Seems correct to me.