Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 09:31 PM   #31
pathfinderca
Connoisseur
pathfinderca began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V.2
I don't really understand how this thing works? Is it like older model computer? Does it have wireless to access the net? Could someone please do me a big favor and see how well viewsonic handles this page and the chart like this? Thank you very much in advance.

http://money.cnn.com/quote/chart/cha...b=spx&sid=3377
Old 12-03-2008, 10:20 PM   #32
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathfinderca View Post
I don't really understand how this thing works? Is it like older model computer? Does it have wireless to access the net? Could someone please do me a big favor and see how well viewsonic handles this page and the chart like this? Thank you very much in advance.

http://money.cnn.com/quote/chart/cha...b=spx&sid=3377
Think of it as an old tablet PC.Yes, it can browse the Web, just not very fast by today's standard. In fact, I'm posting this message from it. It has a pretty good version of IE. I can see the smilies. But it does need a Wifi or ethernet card, though. The Airpanel v100 is old enough that Wifi wasn't built in.

It did show all of the page you wanted. Unfortunately, the Airpanel was overwhelmed. This device should stick with mobile sites, an other small footprint websites.
Advert
Old 12-04-2008, 12:38 AM   #33
cyan
Connoisseur
cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, kindle, android
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
It is still on the initial charge, and I haven't tested everything that didn't work for cyan. But I have installed Mobipocket 4.9 and it worked just fine.

One odd thing I've noticed is that my v100 is running on WinCE 3.0. The support site says it's supposed to be running WinCE 4.1.
I just checked mine. It's running WinCE 4.10 (build 908). I needed to hard reset it and try installing Mobipocket 4.9 again.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:45 PM   #34
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I also had to do a hard reset, becuase the Airpanel is missing critical utilities. It doesn't have a way to remove software, nor does it have a backup utility.
Old 12-07-2008, 03:21 PM   #35
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Getting back to the original topic

I think this device has the Iliad beat in every way except for battery life.

It has better Wifi support, a better browser, better Mobipocket support, comparable PDF support, and it even has a real suspend function (no 40 second boot time here).

I also found a couple of free bonus packs from Microsoft. I so wish I had tried them earlier. My favorite utilities are the registry editor and the Sound Widget. My favorite program, though, is Pocket Paint. As you can imagine, it's a lot of fun on a doodling 10" touchscreen.

The Airpanel also comes with an ink program for note taking: Calligrapher. I've found after a few minutes use that my penmanship on the tablet is as legible as pen on paper. (Since my notes are only semi legible at best, that's not saying much.) Calligrapher is also supposed to be able to from ink to text (just not mine).

As a tablet, I really like this device. I'm torn over whether I can recommend it, though. The Airpanel I have came with a nonstandard OS. This model is supposed to have WinCE 4.1. I have WinCE 3.0. What I have is actually a related Viewsonic device called the Viewpad. The only difference is the OS. Ican recommend the Viewpad or an Airpanel with WinCE 3.0. If you can find either, I would get it. At around $100 on Ebay, it's a bargain.
Advert
Old 12-07-2008, 11:41 PM   #36
cyan
Connoisseur
cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

viewpad on ebay

Someone is sellling the viewpad on ebay for 90 Canadian dollars or 70 U.S. dollars.

ebay auction
Old 12-09-2008, 12:46 PM   #37
pathfinderca
Connoisseur

Thank you very much, Nate the Great. But when you say the Airpanel is overwhelmed, does that mean it doesn't really handle the website well enough? Is this really not for a layperson like me? I really like the size of it.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:48 PM   #38
pathfinderca
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan View Post
Someone is sellling the viewpad on ebay for 90 Canadian dollars or 70 U.S. dollars.

ebay auction
Thank you for posting the site. Is this from Canada? If I buy it, are there going to be any customs charges in addition to the price?
Old 12-09-2008, 01:45 PM   #39
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Thank you very much, Nate the Great. But when you say the Airpanel is overwhelmed, does that mean it doesn't really handle the website well enough? Is this really not for a layperson like me? I really like the size of it.
I went back and tried that link again. The Airpanel cannot handle that page. I find this a little odd since it could display the pages on that site just fine.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:03 PM   #40
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

I may have found a solution.

If you need that site specifically, then I can't help you. But if all you want is the information, then you should look at Bloomberg's mobile site. I have it running on my Airpanel, and it works fine.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:19 PM   #41
pathfinderca
Connoisseur

Quote:
I may have found a solution.

If you need that site specifically, then I can't help you. But if all you want is the information, then you should look at Bloomberg's mobile site. I have it running on my Airpanel, and it works fine.
Thank you so much, Nate the Great. No I don't really need that particular site. I just wanted to know if this airpanel can handle websites with graphs. On my Hanlin2, I can't really see the graphs unless they are really small.

Could you please do me one last favor? I promise not to bother you anymore after.

Do you think you can open this pdf file and see the pictures in it?

http://www.sendspace.com/file/qu5gvh
Old 12-09-2008, 02:36 PM   #42
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

It worked okay.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:47 PM   #43
pathfinderca
Connoisseur

Quote:
It worked okay.
Thank you very much, Nate the Great. You are really great.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:57 PM   #44
cyan
Connoisseur

Quote:
Thank you for posting the site. Is this from Canada? If I buy it, are there going to be any customs charges in addition to the price?
This is an ebay auction. I'm not sure about customs charges. I haven't ever bought anything through ebay that wasn't in the U.S. somewhere.

Sorry.

EDIT:If you haven't noticed, the seller is selling a used unit. You have no guarantee whether the battery will hold a charge or not. That's why I jumped on the original seller that Nate posted. Nate's seller is selling new units that have been sitting around for a couple of years.

Last edited by cyan; 12-09-2008 at 04:09 PM.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:41 PM   #45
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Thank you very much, Nate the Great. You are really great.
You're welcome.
Closed Thread