Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 12-10-2019, 11:57 AM   #46
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Sure, PM'ed.

Hitch
Mind posting what book it is here?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 01:11 PM   #47
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Mind posting what book it is here?
Wolfie:

Does it really matter? jhowell's going to look into it and report back. If we need more hands on deck, yup, then I'll post it.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2019, 02:02 PM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Wolfie:

Does it really matter? jhowell's going to look into it and report back. If we need more hands on deck, yup, then I'll post it.

Hitch
I'm curious to see the CSS which I can do for a sample.
Old 12-10-2019, 03:25 PM   #49
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm curious to see the CSS which I can do for a sample.
Fine. It's Alex Verus #8, by Benedict Jacka. (It's all of them, FWIW.) I had some pm's with jHowell, and it just so happens that at font size 7, on Voyage/Oasis/PPW, you get a ton of 3-line paragraphs that move entirely to the ensuing screen. JH says he doesn't see it so much at other font sizes.

And, what font size do *I* read at? YES, yes, you win the golden ring, font size 7.

JH, since Wolfie just HADDA know, feel free to discuss here. :-)

(sigh).

Hitch
Old 12-10-2019, 03:34 PM   #50
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Sure, PM'ed.
I took a look at the book in question. Luckily it is one that I already had purchased so I could examine the actual book rather than the free sample. Unfortunately, it seems to be working as Amazon intends.

The book uses the default of widows and orphans set to 2. The author tends to write fairly short paragraphs that result in many paragraphs occupying three lines at a font size of 7. That is a worst case scenario since if the first two lines of a paragraph fall at the end of a screen they will both be moved to the next screen to prevent a widow or orphan.

The effect is that the number of lines per screen changes with every page turn, being either full, one less, or two less.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2019, 07:53 AM   #51
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
>it seems to be working as Amazon intends.
>The book uses the default of widows and orphans set to 2

That's Amazon's default? Weird.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 07:57 AM   #52
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post

Why is that weird? RMSDK (ADE) uses a default for widows and orphans of 2.

Given the book that Hitch is/was reading, you can lose up to three lines at the end of the screen. That to me is really annoying and not nice. That's why I check the CSS to make sure there are no widows/orphans other then body and I set them both to 1.
Old 12-13-2019, 08:20 AM   #53
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post

Those are the standard CSS initial (default) values for those properties.

Amazon decided to follow the standard even though most of us think that it worked better the old way.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 08:44 AM   #54
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Why is that weird? RMSDK (ADE) uses a default for widows and orphans of 2.

Given the book that Hitch is/was reading, you can lose up to three lines at the end of the screen. That to me is really annoying and not nice. That's why I check the CSS to make sure there are no widows/orphans other then body and I set them both to 1.
No, it's NOT nice and it torques my butt that I have to revise it, if I want to enjoy it without thinking that every other page is the end of a chapter or scene. Irritating as hell.

Hitch
Old 12-13-2019, 09:08 AM   #55
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
No, it's NOT nice and it torques my butt that I have to revise it, if I want to enjoy it without thinking that every other page is the end of a chapter or scene. Irritating as hell.

Hitch
There is a Kobo patch for ePub to change the default for widows and orphans to 1. So when reading ePub and you get widows and orphans, you know it's in the CSS.
Old 12-13-2019, 09:35 AM   #56
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
There is a Kobo patch for ePub to change the default for widows and orphans to 1. So when reading ePub and you get widows and orphans, you know it's in the CSS.
Uh...hooray for Kobo?

Hitch
Old 12-13-2019, 11:50 AM   #57
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Amazon decided to follow the standard
That's not a phrase you hear very often
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 09:49 PM   #58
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Can you link to that?
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 10:16 PM   #59
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
Can you link to that?
I'll let Jon answer about the patch option, but you might like to know that you can also do it via the calibre KoboTouch & KoboTouchExtended driver without any hacking. See here for details.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 11:09 PM   #60
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I'll let Jon answer about the patch option, but you might like to know that you can also do it via the calibre KoboTouch & KoboTouchExtended driver without any hacking. See here for details.
Thanks. I definitely have to check out a lot more of the Kobo patching threads (and visit the Kobo subforum much more often).
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote