Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 10-28-2019, 03:38 PM   #16
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
>And do you still upload reflowable ebooks to KDP as epubs?

I do.

>Aren't most ebooks only a few MBs?

The novels I wrote as a Promising Young Man were about 80,000 words. Uploaded decades later as epubs to the KDP, they run about 500 KB.

My heaviest book is 340 pages in the print edition -- maybe 150,000 words -- and has a couple dozen images and maps. It weighs in at 2.5 MB.

>you could publish a sample book with various sized images created using KC and see how it looks on an older Kindle.

I wish Slowsmile would do just that, before he publishes a guide to using Kindle Create (which to judge from this thread is even less desirable than I previously believed).
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 05:44 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Our belief at BN.biz is that this is right--but you should be able to upload the ePUB, or ePUB w/media queries, or as Jhowell says, Word file or Zipped HTML package, I believe, should result in the KF7, KF8 and the KFX, afaik. That's what our testing seems to indicate. I'll defer to jhowell's superior knowledge--he seems to do a LOTTA testing and honestly, we do what we can but obviously our primary focus is on delivering eBooks to our customers.

Hitch
RMSDK (ADE) has no problem with media queries for Kindles. That's what the nook uses. So there should be no problem having Kindle media queries in the CSS.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2019, 06:16 PM   #18
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
RMSDK (ADE) has no problem with media queries for Kindles. That's what the nook uses. So there should be no problem having Kindle media queries in the CSS.
Ixnay, Wolfie:

No gettum past ePUBcheck'um.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 08:38 PM   #19
slowsmile
Witchman
slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android S5
@Notjohn...
Quote:
"I wish Slowsmile would do just that, before he publishes a guide to using Kindle Create (which to judge from this thread is even less desirable than I previously believed). "
That's an odd judgement, coming from you Notjohn. It's odd because you even admit yourself that you know absolutely nothing about Kindle Create because you've never used that app seriously -- ever. So how can you possibly judge my free ebook, which you've probably never even read? And your own continual and repetitive condemnations of Kindle Create everywhere seems to be wholly based on your own rather irrascible and biased hatred of Jeff Bezos' business tactics. It's fun to watch, Notjohn, but I doubt if anyone takes your comments about Kindle Create seriously anymore. That always happens when you overplay your hand by telling porkies and continually crying wolf with no logical backbone to your statements concerning KC. And in that respect, your own baseless attacks on KC seem to closely resemble Trump Tweet Propaganda. I guess it must be catching...

Last edited by slowsmile; 10-28-2019 at 09:46 PM.
slowsmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 10:16 PM   #20
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

All right, you two--NOT HERE.

It's annoying enough on the Kindle forums. NOT HERE.

Hitch
Advert
Old 10-29-2019, 07:15 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Ixnay, Wolfie:

No gettum past ePUBcheck'um.

Hitch
I just tested epubcheck with an ePub3 eBook that has Amazon media queries in CSS and no error or warning was flagged.
Old 10-29-2019, 08:53 AM   #22
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
I just tested epubcheck with an ePub3 eBook that has Amazon media queries in CSS and no error or warning was flagged.
Which ones? Unless I'm going gonzo (always a possibility), every single eBook I've ever checked with K mqs has failed. (OTOH, I've always checked ePUB2, I believe.)

Hitch
Old 10-29-2019, 09:15 AM   #23
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Which ones? Unless I'm going gonzo (always a possibility), every single eBook I've ever checked with K mqs has failed. (OTOH, I've always checked ePUB2, I believe.)
I agree with JSWolf, I don't get any errors in epubcheck.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 10:11 AM   #24
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
I agree with JSWolf, I don't get any errors in epubcheck.
In ePUB3, or ePUB2?

Hitch
Old 10-29-2019, 10:17 AM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:

Hitch
The CSS in ePub 2 doesn't support media queries. I'll convert the ePub 3 eBook and leave the medial queries and see what happens with ADE 2.0.1.
Old 10-29-2019, 10:33 AM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
In ePUB3, or ePUB2?

Hitch
Here are the media queries that validated in both ePub 2 and ePub 3. I converted the ePub 3 eBook to ePub 2 and it validates no problem. Maybe you last did it with an older epubscheck.

Code:
@media amzn-kf8 {
  div.body {
    margin: 0 0 0 0;
  }
  body {
    margin: 0 1.2em 0 1.2em;
  }
  img.epub {
    display: none;
  }
  img.sign-up {
    width: 3.5em;
    display: inline;
  }
  img.fb {
    width: 1em;
  }
}
@media amzn-mobi {
  div.body {
  }
  body {
  }
  img.epub {
  }
  img.sign-up {
  }
  img.fb {
  }
  sup {
    vertical-align: super;
    font-size: 0.65em;
  }
  sub {
    vertical-align: sub;
  }
}
Old 10-29-2019, 11:24 AM   #27
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Here are the media queries that validated in both ePub 2 and ePub 3. I converted the ePub 3 eBook to ePub 2 and it validates no problem. Maybe you last did it with an older epubscheck.

Code:
@media amzn-kf8 {
  div.body {
  }
  body {
  }
  img.epub {
  }
  img.sign-up {
  }
  img.fb {
  }
}
@media amzn-mobi {
  div.body {
  }
  body {
  }
  img.epub {
  }
  img.sign-up {
  }
  img.fb {
  }
  sup {
    vertical-align: super;
  }
  sub {
    vertical-align: sub;
  }
}
Dunno, I'll have to look into it. I mean...obviously, this is something that we've messed with, intermittently, over time; I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE to be able to switch to "one ePUB to rule them all" rather than both ePUB and MOBI files for customers.

But I'm reasonably sure that all MQ experimentation that we've conducted has lead to not-passing ePUBs. Granted...have we tested it this year? Perhaps not. Not sure...I'll check and post back.

Hitch
Old 10-29-2019, 11:37 AM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Dunno, I'll have to look into it. I mean...obviously, this is something that we've messed with, intermittently, over time; I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE to be able to switch to "one ePUB to rule them all" rather than both ePUB and MOBI files for customers.

But I'm reasonably sure that all MQ experimentation that we've conducted has lead to not-passing ePUBs. Granted...have we tested it this year? Perhaps not. Not sure...I'll check and post back.

Hitch
Take the CSS code I posted and dump it at the end of some CSS in an ePub and run the latest epubcheck with it and see what happens. I'd like to know if you get no errors.
Old 10-29-2019, 11:39 AM   #29
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Take the CSS code I posted and dump it at the end of some CSS in an ePub and run the latest epubcheck with it and see what happens. I'd like to know if you get no errors.
Wolfie, dear, that's irrational. I mean, if you don't why would we? It's got to be something else.

Hitch
Old 10-29-2019, 12:09 PM   #30
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Wolfie, dear, that's irrational. I mean, if you don't why would we? It's got to be something else.
How long have you been using computers?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote