Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 11-29-2022, 09:16 AM   #61
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
I went to Amazon and my Content and Devices and promptly--without any problems--downloaded an eBook that we'd made, in 2021, as an AZW for my "K2" device.

Can I explain why I can do that now, without any fooferah? I damn sure cannot.
No, you may never have an explanation.
I suppose my DXG renders like a K2 but bigger?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 09:32 AM   #62
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
No, you may never have an explanation.
I suppose my DXG renders like a K2 but bigger?
Yup, pretty much exactly that.

I can't abide the NOT KNOWING. It drives me bat****.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2022, 10:42 AM   #63
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I can't abide the NOT KNOWING. It drives me bat****.
I agree. I like to know why, but at least you can pick K2 and probably alternately some newer Kindle on your account, maybe like a PW3 and see what Amazon is doing with the uploaded epubs. I don't bother now letting WiFi download a KFX to the Kindle. I gave away my Oasis gen2 3G because it wasn't telling me anything useful extra; I'd bought it cheap S/H. The DXG, KK3 and PW3 are only used for tests and only if we use a new style / format in the LO Writer source. So far we have three families of heading styles and same styles etc for body text, images, lists, boxed text, quotes etc in every book. Means really just checks TOC etc isn't broken and images correct % width, or % height or absolute size (the 3 image options we use) on new titles. You have it a lot harder!
Old 11-29-2022, 10:56 AM   #64
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I agree. I like to know why, but at least you can pick K2 and probably alternately some newer Kindle on your account, maybe like a PW3 and see what Amazon is doing with the uploaded epubs. I don't bother now letting WiFi download a KFX to the Kindle. I gave away my Oasis gen2 3G because it wasn't telling me anything useful extra; I'd bought it cheap S/H. The DXG, KK3 and PW3 are only used for tests and only if we use a new style / format in the LO Writer source. So far we have three families of heading styles and same styles etc for body text, images, lists, boxed text, quotes etc in every book. Means really just checks TOC etc isn't broken and images correct % width, or % height or absolute size (the 3 image options we use) on new titles. You have it a lot harder!
Oh, that's no thing. I have...IDK, 6-10 Kindles of various shapes and sizes here and I know what they're doing with the newer ones.

It's the old ones and AZW, in the exceedingly rare circumstances when I may need one, that mattered to me in the context of this discussion.

If a would-be or whatever customer comes to me, used some other service, or was "published" by someone somewhere, like...say, IngramSpark, that means an ePUB was uploaded (somewhere) for the eBooks. It's best for the customer if I find that, and use it, rather than them paying us to make an entirely new eBook with X changes, right? Given my druthers, I'll look at Kobo, but that's sometimes not an option (or they didn't publish via IS, whatever) so I go looking for an AZW that can be...hmmm...unpeeled and unpacked, let's say.

Client's content, client's money...that's all. Just lookin' out over their expenditures like I would my own, I guess.

Hitch
Old 11-29-2022, 11:13 AM   #65
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Can I explain why I can do that now, without any fooferah? I damn sure cannot. I KNOW for example, that none of the 3 (three) instances of K4PC are listed as being available (as 'devices'), nor is the K4Mac that I keep running on this old Mac Mini I have here.
Actually makes sense since Download and transfer via USB is intended for physical devices with the DRM linked to the serial number of the selected device. One acquaintance ran into that when he downloaded a set of books and found they would work on his Voyage but not on his PW3 so he had the joy of downloading two copies.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2022, 11:30 AM   #66
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Actually makes sense since Download and transfer via USB is intended for physical devices with the DRM linked to the serial number of the selected device. One acquaintance ran into that when he downloaded a set of books and found they would work on his Voyage but not on his PW3 so he had the joy of downloading two copies.
YES YES YES. I'm not crazy.

(Okay, so...you guys know, not crazier than you already figure....)

Hitch
Old 11-29-2022, 12:33 PM   #67
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Obviously didn't copy & paste his serial number into a plugin, then he'd never have to download the eBook again even if both Kindles broken and replaced.

DRM cheats consumers and doesn't prevent piracy, which is often from ARCs.
Old 11-29-2022, 01:56 PM   #68
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
I will add that the popup interface for Xfer by USB is completely new to my sight. Never seen that before. Not saying it didn't exist in some other configuration or layout, but...I could swear that there was another layer or even two to it...
See this thread for when popup came to Download & Transfer over USB

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=341085
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 03:30 PM   #69
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
See this thread for when popup came to Download & Transfer over USB

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=341085
Since then they failed "Download & Transfer over USB" at purchase time. Then later they removed the option and put "Deliver to your Kindle Library under ( Buy Now ) button.
Old 11-30-2022, 12:18 AM   #70
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Obviously didn't copy & paste his serial number into a plugin, then he'd never have to download the eBook again even if both Kindles broken and replaced.
At the time, he didn't know about calibre. He has since been seduced to the Dark Side and happily removes DRM before sideloading. I am still somewhat puzzled as to why he reads fiction on the PW3 and everything else on the Voyage though that make syncing reading progress a non-starter.
Old 11-30-2022, 09:38 AM   #71
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Isn't PW3 and Voyage same size screen? I can see why he'd do that with a PW3 and an Oasis.

Fiction works even on 2" screen! I bought an old Palm PDA to see.
My old 4.3" phone is also OK with fiction.

Non-fiction that actually works on 7" or 8" screen certainly better than a 6". But now I read everything except proofing PDFs on the 8" Sage.
Old 11-30-2022, 02:41 PM   #72
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Isn't PW3 and Voyage same size screen? I can see why he'd do that with a PW3 and an Oasis.

Fiction works even on 2" screen! I bought an old Palm PDA to see.
My old 4.3" phone is also OK with fiction.

Non-fiction that actually works on 7" or 8" screen certainly better than a 6". But now I read everything except proofing PDFs on the 8" Sage.
The only explanation I got was more or less, "just because". I think he had read somewhere about Voyage compared to Paperwhites and doing so became a habit.

I remember reading Eric Flint's Mother of Demons on a Palm. First portable ereader I used.
Old 11-30-2022, 03:58 PM   #73
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

And Calibre (of course!) supports both kinds of pdb files that ancient Palm OS PDAs can use. You can still download Palm apps and I found sync/transfer/install program that works on today's Linux better than I remember the Palm program for Windows.
Old 12-21-2022, 07:28 PM   #74
Peter Ahlstrom
Connoisseur
Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peter Ahlstrom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
On the original topic of this thread—am I correct to gather that png images in an ePub uploaded to KDP will still be converted into gifs or jpgs when delivered to customers' kindles and apps? So, if I have a (non-transparent, natch) indexed color image, I may as well save it as a gif and put that in my ePub rather than saving it as a png and using tools like advpng to optimize its filesize?
Peter Ahlstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 09:11 AM   #75
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ahlstrom View Post
On the original topic of this thread—am I correct to gather that png images in an ePub uploaded to KDP will still be converted into gifs or jpgs when delivered to customers' kindles and apps? So, if I have a (non-transparent, natch) indexed color image, I may as well save it as a gif and put that in my ePub rather than saving it as a png and using tools like advpng to optimize its filesize?
In short: yes.

Hitch