Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 11-25-2022, 03:41 PM   #31
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I always use Download to PC for USB transfer.
Yeah, but that doesn't work any more with third party cookies blocked. Ten years after switching from buying on device to web page, I'm back to buying using a kindle.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 04:08 PM   #32
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Also Kindle DXG, DX, KK2 and earlier and KK3 on earlier FW all get KF7 downloads even if upload was epub.
Some old titles certainly are KF7 even when downloaded to PW3 or Oasis gen2, in the last year.

I always use Download to PC for USB transfer.
As mentioned below, that's great if someone went to all the brain-damage of maintaining an old K4PC, but that won't work for just anybody. Hell, I have to remember to keep an old K4PC around, for that reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Yeah, but that doesn't work any more with third party cookies blocked. Ten years after switching from buying on device to web page, I'm back to buying using a kindle.
Yes...pretty much.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2022, 07:03 AM   #33
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I've no K4PC.

I do have 3rd party cookies blocked and uMatrix is also active with not all stuff on the Webpage permitted.

I pick the eInk Kindle and download. Never had a problem on Windows XP, Windows 7 and for last 6 years, Linux only.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 09:19 AM   #34
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I've no K4PC.

I do have 3rd party cookies blocked and uMatrix is also active with not all stuff on the Webpage permitted.

I pick the eInk Kindle and download. Never had a problem on Windows XP, Windows 7 and for last 6 years, Linux only.
Well, I'm glad it works for you, but other than retaining that derelict K4PC, after XP and 7, I've never been able to dl an AZK-was-MOBI file. And yes, I've tried. Sure, I could boot up my old 7 or even the old XP box, but damn, that's a lot of effort to go to.

AND, it still doesn't really answer the question that I find the most interesting--are these files in their original condition (the post-upload "conversion" or "rendering" or what-have-you?) or are they being redone, to suit other devices, later?

You'd have to assume that of course, there's a check of some kind. Some bot, some algo, that checks a file about to be dispatched to John Doe, Kindle user, to ensure that File X is compatible with Kindle Reader/Software/App Y, right? I wonder if that's the obvious answer. Just build that; if John comes along with (say) the Scribe, which has some "other" format, it takes the file, renders the "new" format and then sends it?

That's probably it. Occam would approve. LOL

Hitch
Old 11-26-2022, 01:55 PM   #35
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I've no K4PC.

My manage devices and contents page come up with a few inches of banner and top level menu, but no links work None of my devices or books are displayed, so nothing to select. Don't be surprised if this starts happening on the other side of the Atlantic. (And I have no idea how widely this has been rolled out in the US.)

I also can not get to my cart for physical goods, so I guess I will find out how well I do buying elsewhere.
Advert
Old 11-26-2022, 02:02 PM   #36
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Well, I'm glad it works for you, but other than retaining that derelict K4PC, after XP and 7, I've never been able to dl an AZK-was-MOBI file. And yes, I've tried. Sure, I could boot up my old 7 or even the old XP box, but damn, that's a lot of effort to go to.

Hitch
Are your various kindles registered? (Specifically K2) Doesn't matter if ther work, just need to be registered.

Go to "my devices and content" page while signed on to the account where the device and book was purchased. The book listing should have a drop down menu with an option to "download and transfer over usb". Click that and the book should download.
Old 11-26-2022, 02:39 PM   #37
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Are your various kindles registered? (Specifically K2) Doesn't matter if ther work, just need to be registered.

Go to "my devices and content" page while signed on to the account where the device and book was purchased. The book listing should have a drop down menu with an option to "download and transfer over usb". Click that and the book should download.
And yet, even though they are all registered, back to my K2, (yup), I am not getting AZW's. I forget what happened, the last time I tried this. I think I had to abandon my desktop, go to my laptop (which has the antiquated K4PC) and use that as the intended destination.

(sigh). It's right up there with being stuck with going to Kobo, if you, er, "need" to be able to get at the meat and bones of an ePUB.

Spoiler:
I have customers that have been in contracts with publishers, who published ebook versions of their books; the contract comes to an end and they can't be bothered to convey the agreed-upon "final files" to the author. I may...well, inveigle a bit to obtain usable files, if you see what I mean.

Hitch
Old 11-26-2022, 02:50 PM   #38
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

How strange!
Old 11-26-2022, 03:30 PM   #39
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
How strange!
I'll try it again, but I know that this just would NOT play ball with me last time or the last 2-3x. And believe me, I really wanted it to, too. I forget why, but at this point, I've given up trying to remember how much crap I forget. lol

Hitch
Old 11-27-2022, 03:02 PM   #40
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
I'll try it again, but I know that this just would NOT play ball with me last time or the last 2-3x. And believe me, I really wanted it to, too. I forget why, but at this point, I've given up trying to remember how much crap I forget. lol

Hitch
I seem to remember that Chrome/Chromium and Firefox added a security feature that makes Amazon download scripts fail. You need to add some sort of exception?
I mostly use a strange browser I don't recommend unless you are expert with uMatrix, so though I have Firefox and Chromium, I hardly use them. I find Ebay for login and some Google sites only work now with Chromium.
Old 11-27-2022, 03:17 PM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I seem to remember that Chrome/Chromium and Firefox added a security feature that makes Amazon download scripts fail. You need to add some sort of exception?
I mostly use a strange browser I don't recommend unless you are expert with uMatrix, so though I have Firefox and Chromium, I hardly use them. I find Ebay for login and some Google sites only work now with Chromium.
I did whitelist Amazon and yes downloads of eBooks from Amazon do work.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 06:10 PM   #42
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
It wasn't that the dl was denied. It simply "reufsed" (for lack of a better word) to give me an AZW-cum-MOBI. I kept getting KFX.

Hitch
Old 11-27-2022, 07:05 PM   #43
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
It wasn't that the dl was denied. It simply "reufsed" (for lack of a better word) to give me an AZW-cum-MOBI. I kept getting KFX.

Hitch
For a K2?
Old 11-27-2022, 07:52 PM   #44
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
I am confused by the turn this discussion has taken. Using “Download & transfer via USB” (now found under “More actions”) from the website should never deliver KFX format.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 09:03 PM   #45
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I am confused by the turn this discussion has taken. Using “Download & transfer via USB” (now found under “More actions”) from the website should never deliver KFX format.
Well, crap, now I'll have to go replicate the experiment. It's been a while and all I've done since then is dl the AZW via my (much older) laptop and the old K4PC. I could be misspeaking about KFX, but I know damned well it wasn't what I needed.

H