Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 11-01-2008, 03:52 PM   #46
myral
Enthusiast
myral began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, PocketBook 360, Kindle 2, CyBook gen 3
Question

OK, I know this thread is about MobideDRM, but I'm having similar problems with the eReader2html tool, and you people seem to be very helpful and patient. I have read all threads about the eReader conversion, but was just more puzzled the more I read. I know nothing about programming or python and would be happy to continue in blissful ignorance if only there was a way for me to read my legally purchased secure eReader books on my new CyBook, which only supports mobipocket format. (previous reader crashed, so no hope there...)

I have downloaded a script by darkreverser, but it shows up as .txt even when I change the name to .py, so to tell you the truth, I'm not even sure that I have downloaded the right stuff.

Is anybody up to the herculean task of guiding me through the process step by step? (I really loved the "point your mouse and move the file" suggestion... sigh...)
myral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 03:58 PM   #47
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by myral View Post

Is anybody up to the herculean task of guiding me through the process step by step? (I really loved the "point your mouse and move the file" suggestion... sigh...)
Pretty much everything written about mobidedrm applies to the ereader one. You have to install python, they you run the script. If you run it without passing any parameters it will tell you what it is expecting.

But, knowing exactally what you have done, command you are running, errors you are getting would make it easier to help.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2008, 04:15 PM   #48
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
it shows up as .txt even when I change the name to .py
The thread How to make Igor's script work contains detailed instructions on installing python. Once it is installed the file should be identified as a "Python File".
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 04:43 PM   #49
myral
Enthusiast

I have downloaded and installed the Python, which shows up as Python25, and then moved it into the My Documents folder. I downloaded the .txt files and put them into the Python\Tools\scripts folder. Then I copied them to the My Documents folder, as well as the e-book that I want to convert.
Having opened a command prompt (Start>All Programs>Accessories) I followed the procedure specified in this thread until I got into the My Documents Directory, where both the e-book, the Python25 and the script file (it appears as: f1fc790cb.py.txt) show up. Then I get this command line:
D:\Documents and Settings\XXXX\My Documents>
and I don't know how to continue.
I tried something like this:
D:\Documents and Settings\XXXX\My Documents>f1fc790cb.py.txt original_ebook.pdb . "My name" Credit_Card_Number
and a Notepad window opened up with the script that I had downloaded. Then a new command line appears, the same as the last one, no messages:
D:\Documents and Settings\XXXX\My Documents>

What to do now?
I don't really know what "run the script" means...
Thank you.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:37 PM   #50
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
and the script file (it appears as: f1fc790cb.py.txt) show up.
This is the problem (or a problem), you need to remove the ".txt". In a standard window open on this directory click on the Tools icon and select Folder Options -> View and then uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types". Then right click on f1fc790cb.py.txt and select rename. You should see the full name (including the .txt), rename the file to ereader2html.py. There will be a pop up asking if you want to change the file type, answer yes.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2008, 06:32 PM   #51
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I have downloaded and installed the Python, which shows up as Python25, and then moved it into the My Documents folder.
Are you saying "it" being python? You shouldn't have moved python anywhere.

BOb
Old 11-01-2008, 10:20 PM   #52
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2 + HDX 8.9
Quote:

I have downloaded a script by darkreverser, but it shows up as .txt even when I change the name to .py, so to tell you the truth, I'm not even sure that I have downloaded the right stuff.
Change the extension via the command line and not Windows. You probably have a file named .py.txt.
GatorDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 04:54 AM   #53
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Myral, looks like you're doing OK, just getting snagged on a couple of points.

This is what worked for me:-

OK, so you've downloaded and installed python into "Python25" folder - I'd leave it there; as pilotbob says, you don't need to move it anywhere. And you've downloaded the script - rename this, removing the ".txt" and replacing it with ".py" - this tells your operating system that it's a python script, and the icon will change accordingly; if it doesn't, there's something wrong. As others have said, according to your example, it looks like you've added '.py' into the filename, not replaced it.

So, you should now have a small file called (e.g.) "yourscriptname.py" on your computer. Copy this into your "Python25" folder, along with the ebook you want to convert - I find keeping it all in c:\python25 makes the filepaths easier to manage, especially if this command-line stuff is all new to you.

And you've managed to get a DOS window open and functioning; now you need to point it at the directory where your scripts and books are, using the command "CD" - stands for "Change Directory" - followed by a space, then the path to your directory. It isn't case-sensitive, but the spaces, colons and back-slashes are important. So if your scripts and books are in c:\python25, you type this:-

cd c:\python25

then hit return. Now you should have another line of text in the window like this

C:\Python25>

Directly after the ">" prompt, type "yourscriptnamel.py" (no quotes, no spaces) and hit return. You should get a few lines of text giving creator & copyright information, and "usage' which has five distinct parts, or parameters, each separated by a space. I've listed them line-by-line here for clarity:-

yourscriptname - you need to type this with the extension ".py" to make DOS find and run the script
infile.pdb - this is the name of the book you want to convert
outdir - this is the folder you want the converted book to be saved to
"your name" - this is your name written exactly as it was when you bought the book, contained in quotation marks; the quote marks are important, so don't miss them out!
credit_card_number - as the script says, it's enough to enter the last 8 digits of the credit-card used.

So in this example:-

C:\Python25>ereader2html.py blackmonday.pdb c:\python25 "James Bond" 00700700

Somebody called James Bond is converting the book blackmonday.pdb using the ereader2html.py script and saving the converted files back to the python25 folder using his highly improbaby credit-card number.

To run this script, you'd simply hit return after the last digit of the c/card number. The script will say that it's 'processing...' then 'Done' when it's finished.

As I say, it works for me - hope it helps you to make sense of it all!

Best, Pete.
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 01:19 PM   #54
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
myral:
The above are great instructions, however I suggest that you put your script in the subdirectory Python25\tools\scripts rather than in the Python25 directory.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 01:39 PM   #55
myral
Enthusiast

Thanks everybody for your suggestions. I haven't yet had the time to try them out, but will do so at some point. I'll be back to let you know how it went.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:18 AM   #56
readnswim
readnswim began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks for all the help in these forums so far. I have a problem that I haven't been able to find anywhere else.
I think I have the mobidedrm script working alright in that I get an output file, but the output file is empty (0 KB) I have tried it with three different books and all the same result.

I have the mobidedrm.py file in with the scripts. The books are there as well. I am using the PID from the computer which is what Fictionwise is using. I created a batch file that goes like this:

mobidedrm.py nameofbook.prc nameofbook.mobi PID

As I said I get the output file, it just is empty.

..Later on I did find a post about this suggesting that it was due to using Python 2.4 or earlier. I am using Python 2.6 and still have the problem.

Last edited by readnswim; 11-20-2008 at 11:10 AM. Reason: update
readnswim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 02:13 PM   #57
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by readnswim View Post
mobidedrm.py nameofbook.prc nameofbook.mobi PID

As I said I get the output file, it just is empty.
I assume you are getting an error message when running this command. Can you paste the results of the above command into a message here?

BOb
Old 11-20-2008, 04:10 PM   #58
readnswim
readnswim began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I assume you are getting an error message when running this command. Can you paste the results of the above command into a message here?

BOb
I am getting the same invalid PID checksum error as those above (I was using a batch file and didn't see the command window). I am going to try all the other things. Thanks so far!

Finally!!!!! I used post #13 on the invalid PID forum and made sure all the books were already opened and I retrieved them from MyeBooks in the MyDocuments folder.

Love the posts! thank you!

Last edited by readnswim; 11-20-2008 at 09:13 PM.
readnswim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 04:41 PM   #59
papa4ahe
papa4ahe began at the beginning.

Device: Sony reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
Change the extension via the command line and not Windows. You probably have a file named .py.txt.
I have read and read about mobidedrm and when I do dir in dos from the python25 file, I do see ModiDeDRM.py 0.02 .txt. When I try to ren this to anything else, nothing seems to happen. For instance, ren to ModiDeDRM2.py or something like that. Can someone tell me what to do with the .py .txt situation so I can try to run mobidedrm? Thanks for your help.
papa4ahe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 04:55 PM   #60
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa4ahe View Post
I have read and read about mobidedrm and when I do dir in dos from the python25 file, I do see ModiDeDRM.py 0.02 .txt. When I try to ren this to anything else, nothing seems to happen. For instance, ren to ModiDeDRM2.py or something like that. Can someone tell me what to do with the .py .txt situation so I can try to run mobidedrm? Thanks for your help.
How are you renaming it? Just right click on the file in Explorer and choose rename... type in mobidedrm.py and press enter.

BOb