Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 10-07-2008, 06:26 PM   #31
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfergirl View Post
Thank you to everyone who has chipped in with suggestions for my problem.

Argecho.py confirms that I'm using the correct number of arguments to the Python script, I've updated MobiDeDrm using pdurrant's list of changes. I've even tried reinstalling Python from scratch, in case something got screwed in the initial install .... unfortunately, I just keep getting the "invalid PID" error with both of my PIDs. I can't think of anything else to try, so I think I'm just going to have to write this off as a bad job - it's just incredibly frustrating when other people get the script to work without a problem.

My stepson is a Mac addict, so I might try running the script on his machine if he's got Python installed.

Thanks again for all your help
Irene
How sure are you that the drm on the book is one of the PIDs that you are trying. I (and several other people) ran into this same error because the PID that we input was not the actual PID on the book. Maybe you can get someone that is successfully using Mobidedrm to do a test for you and then you would at least know whether it's an installation problem or an incorrect PID.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 06:41 PM   #32
dickon25
Groupie
dickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505. Pocketbook Inkpad 840
How sure are you that the drm on the book is one of the PIDs that you are trying. I (and several other people) ran into this same error because the PID that we input was not the actual PID on the book. Maybe you can get someone that is successfully using Mobidedrm to do a test for you and then you would at least know whether it's an installation problem or an incorrect PID.

I wondered about this. I thought the PID related to the device (ie my PC) rather than the book but, just to be on the safe side, I re-registered my PID with the vendor (BOB) then re-downloaded the book (so, presumably, the book was then 'tagged' with that PID?). I then put that book through the same system.....and got the same result - invalid PID checksum. How can that be, if BOB accepted it as a valid PID?

Yours, more confused every minute, etc........
dickon25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2008, 06:57 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Try reading the eBook with Mobipocket Reader. If it's one that needs a UN/PW then it won't work till you've copied it to a portable device such as a memory card.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 08:01 PM   #34
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickon25 View Post
I then put that book through the same system.....and got the same result - invalid PID checksum. How can that be, if BOB accepted it as a valid PID?

Yours, more confused every minute, etc........
Are you sure you are doing the right file? Someone else here had a problem using this and it turned out the book was downloaded to a different location than they expected. I don't recall if it was the same error, but I do recall it was BoB they had an issue with.

I tried to find the thread... but can't.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 03:42 AM   #35
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Are you enclosing the PID in single quotes? Some PIDs have strange characters that command lines don't like unquoted.

Paul

Quote:
When I try this, inputting the shortened 8 digit PID, it tells me the correct PID is the 10 digit 'abc123...' - which is exactly what it rejected in the first place!
It then gives me 'invalid PID checksum' and does not convert.

I'm using v0.4 of MobideDRM and the PID is for a Windows PC running XP.

Does anyone have any other ideas, please?

Thanks
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2008, 11:15 AM   #36
dickon25
Groupie
dickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-books

Thanks for the suggestions and sorry for delay in replying (sleep/work gets in the way!!).
Following suggestions from elsewhere, I've got the book and the MobideDRM in the same folder - so I think I'm OK on that one.
I've tried the PID with 8 or 10 digits, with and without single quotes and get the same result each time.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:55 PM   #37
dickon25
Groupie

OK. A couple of members have PM'd me and my PID has been checked - seems OK.
I can read the book fine through MobiReader on my PC.
One member suggested I post the exact line I'm inputting, so here it is:

mobidedrm.py firstbook.prc secondbook.prc 'PID'
Pause

...where 'PID' is the actual PID characters, of course, and I've tried both with and without the single quotes.

Any and all suggestions gratefully received......
Thanks.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:59 PM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Try again, but this time make sure no spaces or extended characters are used. That way, you need no quotes. Also, what version MobideDRM.py do you have? if you have 0.02, it could be that you need 0.01. If you have 0.03, it could be the bug has gotcha and you need 0.04, 0.02 or 0.01. If you have 0.04 then I have no idea the problem as it works for me.

What version Python do you have? Did you get Python from http://www.python.org?

Last edited by JSWolf; 10-08-2008 at 05:02 PM.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 05:01 PM   #39
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
OK.
One member suggested I post the exact line I'm inputting, so here it is:

mobidedrm.py firstbook.prc secondbook.prc 'PID'
Pause
Are you using the PID from your PC or from your device? Do you have more than 1 PID entered in the book store and are they all valid mobi PIDs? Not sure if this will matter but try double quotes instead of single. Also, try no quotes. Does that matter?

I also assume that neither of the book file names have spaces or special characters in them? If so, you would need to surround them with double quotes too. (Because I'm sure the above is not the "exact" line that you are using.)

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 05:24 PM   #40
dickon25
Groupie

The PID I'm using is the one from my PC.
I'm using v0.04 of MobideDRM but now have another copy so will try that (I've added the extra scipt from post #11 on this thread (the one about checking the PID)
Python is ActivePython-2.5.2.2-win32-x86 - as downloaded from the Python site.
No speacial characters in the book names etc......

Just had another PM and an offer I can't refuse......watch this space!

Thanks all.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:58 AM   #41
Surfergirl
Enthusiast
Surfergirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Surfergirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Surfergirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505 (Blue)/PRS-505 (Red)/iPhone 3GS
Dickon25

It sounds like you're having exactly the same problem that I did (and I almost went bald from tearing my hair out). My book was valid, both my PIDs were valid, the version of python was up-do-date, but nothing I did would get past the infuriating "invalid PID" error.

The solution (supplied from another thread) was to make sure that you have actually *opened up* the purchased book - the act of opening it for reading does something clever to the DRM. Trying to run the script against the downloaded but unopened book failed miserably, but when I ran it against the *opened* version it worked perfectly. The post-opened book was stored somewhere like "My e-books", so if you try this you might have some success.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you! Good luck.

Irene

Last edited by Surfergirl; 10-09-2008 at 08:02 AM.
Surfergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 09:13 AM   #42
Alfy
Liseur de Bonne Aventure
Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS T1
Nope, does not work either, at least for me.

I'm new to the thread, but my problem is just the same: invalid PID all over the place!

After your post, I took the prc file and opened it on my PC. that worked fine, although the file was on a USB key and no files were created in My Ebooks folder. Nevertheless, something happened, as I now have a new 4kb .mpb file on my key! I then went back to my mac and tried to run mobidedrm, but to no avail... Snif!

EDIT Or rather yes it does!!! This time, I connected my pc to the net and downloaded the book on it, and that time it worked! Thanks a lot for that!

Last edited by Alfy; 10-09-2008 at 09:41 AM. Reason: errata
Alfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 01:37 PM   #43
dickon25
Groupie

Surfergirl

It sounds like you're having exactly the same problem that I did (and I almost went bald from tearing my hair out). My book was valid, both my PIDs were valid, the version of python was up-do-date, but nothing I did would get past the infuriating "invalid PID" error.

Isn't this forum great?! When I caught the gremlins I searched and found this thread - so I knew your problem was the same. I couldn't see a solution though and thought you'd given up!
Thanks for the suggestion - I've tried that, and am trying it again with the assistance of one our wonderful techies here on the site. It's proving very complicated and the situation isn't helped by the fact that I'm a complete numpty on the tech side. Like you, all I want to do is read books!!

Thanks
Chris
Old 10-09-2008, 01:41 PM   #44
dickon25
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfy View Post
Nope, does not work either, at least for me.

I'm new to the thread, but my problem is just the same: invalid PID all over the place!

After your post, I took the prc file and opened it on my PC. that worked fine, although the file was on a USB key and no files were created in My Ebooks folder. Nevertheless, something happened, as I now have a new 4kb .mpb file on my key! I then went back to my mac and tried to run mobidedrm, but to no avail... Snif!

EDIT Or rather yes it does!!! This time, I connected my pc to the net and downloaded the book on it, and that time it worked! Thanks a lot for that!
Hi Alfy,
So glad it worked for you... but hey, I'm not bitter!!!!!
Old 10-10-2008, 12:44 AM   #45
Alfy
Liseur de Bonne Aventure
Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS T1
Ouch!

Well, if it helps, here is one thing I noticed: books I purchased on mobipocket.com had their filename changed after I opened them with my PC: _r1 was added at the end of the filename, before the .prc.

Strange thing is, books I purchased on fictionwise already have _r1 at the end of the filename, and I can dedrm them without having to open them first.

You might want to go to fictionwise and grab a copy of their cheapest book for testing purposes.
Alfy is offline   Reply With Quote