Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 08-02-2008, 03:44 PM   #16
Surfergirl
Enthusiast
Surfergirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Surfergirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Surfergirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505 (Blue)/PRS-505 (Red)/iPhone 3GS
The PID for a Windows PC often (always?) has a $ as the 8th character, and I think this is what is causing the problem.

I've got this problem - my PID is from a PC and has a $ as the 8th character. I'm fairly computer literate, but don't know anything about Python and am not sure what changes need to be made to the mobidrdrm program.

If I send my PID to someone, could they run it through the calculation script, and tell me what the correct PID actually is? I'm desparate to get the DRM-stripping working, as a book is due to be released very soon which is only available in MOBI (and I've got a Sony Reader!)

Thanks, Irene
Surfergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 07:47 PM   #17
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfergirl View Post
I've got this problem - my PID is from a PC and has a $ as the 8th character. I'm fairly computer literate, but don't know anything about Python and am not sure what changes need to be made to the mobidrdrm program.
What platform are you running mobidedrm on? Looking back over this thread it looks to me like everyone having this problem was running OS X or GNU/Linux and wasn't putting their $-containing PID in single quotes. Did you you try that?

Hope this helps!,

-Marshall
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2008, 11:21 PM   #18
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
The PID for a Windows PC often (always?) has a $ as the 8th character, and I think this is what is causing the problem.

I've got this problem - my PID is from a PC and has a $ as the 8th character.

Thanks, Irene
Hi Surfergirl, look back to post #15 & #13 have the answer to your problem.
Your PC PID is a 10 digit, where the eight digit is a $, put your PID in single quotes and drop of the last two char so if your PID. So if your PID is 1234567$90 change it to '1234567$' (include single quotes).

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 11:30 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Or create a PID you can use without a $ and add that to your list of PIDs so when you do go to use MobiDeDRM.py, you won't have to worry about a $.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 11:51 PM   #20
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Have you tried Pdurrants hack to fix a couple of mobidedrm issues?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=76
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2008, 10:26 AM   #21
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:

I've got this problem - my PID is from a PC and has a $ as the 8th character.
If putting the full 10-digit PID in single quotes does not work, then check to see if you have mistyped 1 for I or 0 for O (or I for 1, O for 0).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 04:19 PM   #22
Surfergirl
Enthusiast
Surfergirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Surfergirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Surfergirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llasram View Post
What platform are you running mobidedrm on? Looking back over this thread it looks to me like everyone having this problem was running OS X or GNU/Linux and wasn't putting their $-containing PID in single quotes. Did you you try that?

Hope this helps!,

-Marshall
Hi. Yep - tried that. Still comes back with "Invalid PID checksum". And I'm running on Windows XP.

Irene
Old 08-03-2008, 04:20 PM   #23
Surfergirl
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Hi Surfergirl, look back to post #15 & #13 have the answer to your problem.
Your PC PID is a 10 digit, where the eight digit is a $, put your PID in single quotes and drop of the last two char so if your PID. So if your PID is 1234567$90 change it to '1234567$' (include single quotes).

=X=
Hi. Unfortunately, tried that already - still just comes back with "invalid PID checksum".
Old 08-03-2008, 04:21 PM   #24
Surfergirl
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Or create a PID you can use without a $ and add that to your list of PIDs so when you do go to use MobiDeDRM.py, you won't have to worry about a $.
Hi Jon. I know this must sound like a real dumb question, but how do I create a new PID??

Thanks, Irene
Old 08-03-2008, 04:22 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Do you maybe have access to a Windows machine to try this on?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 04:59 PM   #26
Surfergirl
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Do you maybe have access to a Windows machine to try this on?
I'm using a Windows XP machine!
Old 08-04-2008, 07:35 PM   #27
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
One problem with mobidedrm is that it does not do any "sanity checking" of its arguments. This would normally be easy to fix, but modifying mobidedrm.py is not legal in the US. So I attach argecho.py from Dive Into Python. If you have problems with mobidedrm, or any other python script, replace the command with argecho. This is almost the simplest possible python program. All it does is echo its arguments, one per line with the 1st line being the command name. For example:

Code:
C:\Documents and Settings\alan\My Documents\My eBooks\SOFTWARE>argecho test file.prc test file.mobi V176CXM*FZ
C:\Documents and Settings\alan\My Documents\My eBooks\SOFTWARE\argecho.py
test
file.prc
test
file.mobi
V176CXM*FZ
This first attempt did not have quotes around the filename, and so what should have been 3 arguments became 5 arguments and the third argument (4th output line) is "test" instead of "V176CXM*FZ". The 1st line of output starts with "C:" because I have argecho.py in the current directory. Adding quotes around the filenames gives the expected 3 arguments.
Code:
C:\Documents and Settings\alan\My Documents\My eBooks\SOFTWARE>argecho "test file.prc" "test file.mobi" V176CXM*FZ
C:\Documents and Settings\alan\My Documents\My eBooks\SOFTWARE\argecho.py
test file.prc
test file.mobi
V176CXM*FZ
There are no doubt many better ways to debug python scripts than using argecho, but using argecho would have made finding past issues with mobidedrm (for example) much easier.
Attached Files
File Type: zip argecho.zip (396 Bytes, 664 views)

Last edited by wallcraft; 08-04-2008 at 07:56 PM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 04:38 AM   #28
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Best to use my second set of hacks, which actually fix the problem rather than masking it :-)

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=125

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
Have you tried Pdurrants hack to fix a couple of mobidedrm issues?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=76
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 08:44 AM   #29
Surfergirl
Enthusiast

Thank you to everyone who has chipped in with suggestions for my problem.

Argecho.py confirms that I'm using the correct number of arguments to the Python script, I've updated MobiDeDrm using pdurrant's list of changes. I've even tried reinstalling Python from scratch, in case something got screwed in the initial install .... unfortunately, I just keep getting the "invalid PID" error with both of my PIDs. I can't think of anything else to try, so I think I'm just going to have to write this off as a bad job - it's just incredibly frustrating when other people get the script to work without a problem.

My stepson is a Mac addict, so I might try running the script on his machine if he's got Python installed.

Thanks again for all your help
Irene
Old 10-07-2008, 05:07 PM   #30
dickon25
Groupie
dickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505. Pocketbook Inkpad 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by red_dragon View Post
You could disable the PID check and examine what mobidedrm expects. After making the changes you have to pass a 8 char PID to the python program:

(Be careful with the indentions)

Code:
	def __init__(self, data_file, pid):
### BEGIN NEW CODE ###
		# Calculate PID checksum if just the first 8 chars are specified
		if len(pid) == 8:
			pid = checksumPid(pid)
			print "Full PID is %s" % pid
### END NEW CODE ###
		if checksumPid(pid[0:-2]) != pid:
			raise DrmException("invalid PID checksum")
		pid = pid[0:-2]

Does it work for you?

If the decrypted result is garbage then your PID is not correct.

-Red Dragon

When I try this, inputting the shortened 8 digit PID, it tells me the correct PID is the 10 digit 'abc123...' - which is exactly what it rejected in the first place!
It then gives me 'invalid PID checksum' and does not convert.

I'm using v0.4 of MobideDRM and the PID is for a Windows PC running XP.

Does anyone have any other ideas, please?

Thanks
dickon25 is offline   Reply With Quote