Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 11-06-2007, 04:11 PM   #31
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Oh, dear. I can't even wrap my brain around the sort of furor that would result if MacroHard announced that they were working with Intel to develop a processor that had Windows built into it!
Actually, I'd be all for it if I thought they could do it. As Yvan mentioned, the likelihood that the OS would be buggy due to its complexity would kill it. And I'd be scared to see that chip (the effect would probably be akin to looking Medusa in the face...) But if they could turn out a clean, non-buggy Windows-on-a-chip, every Windows machine would run faster and better with it.

Of course, full Windows may be a bit much for a PDA, but many Mobile OSs are perfectly suited to being burned directly onto a chip, aren't they?
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 04:37 PM   #32
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
... many Mobile OSs are perfectly suited to being burned directly onto a chip, aren't they?
Palm OS certainly is.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2007, 04:50 PM   #33
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Oh, dear. I can't even wrap my brain around the sort of furor that would result if MacroHard announced that they were working with Intel to develop a processor that had Windows built into it!

I can see perhaps selling OS's on Rom Chips that were inserted into slots on the Motherboard, but even that would be hideously complicated compared to the approach we have currently.

I see where you're coming from viewing it as a step backwards, but I'm afraid I just don't agree that it is. I think we're better off with the OS approach we have now.
Perhaps but I don't see the need in a eBook reader. My eB1150 can be turned on from a complete off condition and I can be reading the exact spot in a book that I was previously using in about 2 seconds. Since that is the context in which we are discussing the subject I think that waiting 45 seconds after you turn on the device to start reading is stupid and unnecessary.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 05:01 PM   #34
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Perhaps but I don't see the need in a eBook reader.
In an ebook reader device, I totally agree, though I do think that flash memory is probably better than straight ROM, but that's neither here nor there.

Quote:
My eB1150 can be turned on from a complete off condition and I can be reading the exact spot in a book that I was previously using in about 2 seconds. Since that is the context in which we are discussing the subject I think that waiting 45 seconds after you turn on the device to start reading is stupid and unnecessary.
My Sony Reader's 3 second wake up time and I agree with you there too.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:17 PM   #35
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
In an ebook reader device, I totally agree, though I do think that flash memory is probably better than straight ROM, but that's neither here nor there.

My Sony Reader's 3 second wake up time and I agree with you there too.
Flash is certainly true in today's market place. All ROM references generally mean flash rom today.

Actually your poor Sony reader can only do that if it is placed in standby mode. I think it takes quite a bit longer in full turn off. Standby means it is really still using power. Sony uses Linux and has to boot if you really turn it off, even from the ROM image so it still kills performance in this mode. To get good performance for eBook reading you need an OS that can run in place such as Palm or WinCE. Linux is a great OS but not suited to run in place mode so far.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2007, 05:42 PM   #36
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Actually your poor Sony reader can only do that if it is placed in standby mode.
Oh, I know all that, I was being a bit facetious.

The full 'off' is quick enough on the 500 using the Reset button, but the 505's full shut down took 30~45 seconds or so (I didn't time it when I had it), I assume but don't know that the shut-down hack is similar.

It's the full boot up that takes the time, almost three minutes on the 500 with the 505 being a bit faster, closer to two minutes.

Your comments are pretty close to dead on.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:36 AM   #37
KatrinaCardway
eBookStore *****istrator
KatrinaCardway doesn't litterKatrinaCardway doesn't litterKatrinaCardway doesn't litter

Device: Several - Mostly Use Pocket PC - HP6315
Quote:
Maybe it's a sign that I'm an old "fuddy duddy", but right now, I'm becoming convinced that reliable and easy is better than time consuming and problem plagued. Even if it means I have to do less with my devices. Well, that's how I feel today, until I get my next great idea about what I could do with a handheld if only I had the new model which comes out next month...

I so relate! As I look around my office, I have to laugh!

Here is what I see: a laptop, an UMPC, a RAZR, a Palm TX, a blackberry, a pocket PC, 6 eBook readers (eBookwise, Franklin Bookman, Illiad, Sony and 2 Cybooks-old and new), an iPod, 2 Sansa MP3 players, a Sony Digital recorder and couple of other misc. electronic devices so covered with dust that I am not even sure what they are.

I can't even begin to tell you the amount of time an furstration I have invested in technology.

It used to be "fun" to test new devices. Now, not so much! Aside from my Laptop and my RAZR (small and light) I really only use one or two of the other devices very often: one MP3 player (at the gym) and my most current eBook (right now the new Cybook).

I have decided that in my next life I am not going to know anything about technology or accounting. . . I am just sure that I will be happy!
KatrinaCardway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 10:08 AM   #38
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
That was funny Katrina!

I managed to set up space in the basement that I call "The Pile". It's built up of all functioning devices left of 30 odd years of electronic junking.

What's important here is as soon as a device gets a dust crust, to willfully put it atop "The Pile" . Tough choices!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 07:42 AM   #39
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My "Pile" has a different name: "Montgomery County Solid Waste Disposal Facility."
Old 11-14-2007, 02:50 AM   #40
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Anti-Mac due to brainwashed Macheads.

Must agree with this comment. I think Apple and Mac make good computers, But, The Smugness of Macheads is neverending. I have no choice but to be Anti-mac due to brainwashiing of Macheads and their usual Cult addictions.

PCs and Macs both have advantages and disadvantages, but i for one perfer the versatility of PCs. But each to his own.

Macheads: Warning- Macs do crash sometimes.

An unsaid truth: Apple vs Microsoft:

Apple lost. deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMartin View Post
Mac just works? Sorry but that is a lot of hooey. Consider the following.

A few years ago I bought 2 new macs for my studio. Within 6 months the change to system 10 was announced. It did not run well on the "older" machines so we were stuck on system 9, then the next version of photoshop was announced but it did not run well on system 9. Lots of crashes and very slow. The result was 2 machines a year old running software that put me at a competitive disadvantage. Did not cheer me up.

A year or so later when I upgraded to new machines again we had a much more expensive fiasco with the change to intel chips. I now run my new MacBook pro on XP. Camera drivers come out quicker for XP and I can use local Garmin GPS maps and my Polar heartrate monitor with ease.

Don't want to start a religious debate here but I see far more posts on this forum from mac users having hassles with simple stuff like dos formating cf cards then would leave me to believe they are trouble free and just work.

Before anyone attacks me over this I own 4 G5's, a Macbook Pro, emac, ipod and several pc's. I would not say I am against macs but consider myself realistic. If I was smart enough and interested enough I would give Linux a go.
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 10:45 AM   #41
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
Must agree with this comment. I think Apple and Mac make good computers, But, The Smugness of Macheads is neverending. I have no choice but to be Anti-mac due to brainwashiing of Macheads and their usual Cult addictions.

PCs and Macs both have advantages and disadvantages, but i for one perfer the versatility of PCs. But each to his own.

Well hidari, I think you're exagerating a bit. You're talking like one absolutely had to make a choice of camp on stake of his life! I chose both, and I've expanded on both platforms for about 15 years and I'll tell you I like both. And I'm not alone. It is sad that you had to deal with obtuse people on the Mac side, I've met them too, and some on the PC side too!

I really don't think that Apple lost anything, what makes you think that? The fact that it has a smaller user base?
Ahhh! Comparing Apples with Oranges! (pun intended)
You have to remember that Apple makes all their machines and software and that Microsoft only makes the software for the PCs that are manufactured by hundreds of companies. If you compare each of those manufacturers to Apple, guess who's bigger?
There are hundreds of factors by which to compare both platforms and markets. Frankly, I would like to see other platforms come along.
Have you owned a Mac? How long did you compare?
Personnally, I use and love both for different tasks and I wouldn't have it any other way. And if you're happier with a PC... good for you! But prejudice is not a good friend.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:55 AM   #42
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Actually I have had a mac. It was a good machine. Second-hand but did the job that I needed. I agree with you completely. both are good machines. I just seem to run into more brainwashed Macheads than levelheaded ones. Yes, there are brainwashed PCheads as well, but I do not seem to get the level of smugness that you get from the MACies. Agreed. They are apples and oranges. The main reason I like Mac is that it at least brings in another alternative to the market. I just wish there were more alternatives. Was just pushing a few buttons, The macheads seem easy to annoy, They are never wrong you know.

hidari

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
Well hidari, I think you're exagerating a bit. You're talking like one absolutely had to make a choice of camp on stake of his life! I chose both, and I've expanded on both platforms for about 15 years and I'll tell you I like both. And I'm not alone. It is sad that you had to deal with obtuse people on the Mac side, I've met them too, and some on the PC side too!

I really don't think that Apple lost anything, what makes you think that? The fact that it has a smaller user base?
Ahhh! Comparing Apples with Oranges! (pun intended)
You have to remember that Apple makes all their machines and software and that Microsoft only makes the software for the PCs that are manufactured by hundreds of companies. If you compare each of those manufacturers to Apple, guess who's bigger?
There are hundreds of factors by which to compare both platforms and markets. Frankly, I would like to see other platforms come along.
Have you owned a Mac? How long did you compare?
Personnally, I use and love both for different tasks and I wouldn't have it any other way. And if you're happier with a PC... good for you! But prejudice is not a good friend.
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 11:59 AM   #43
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

We definitely should give Linux a try.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:08 PM   #44
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
i am not fond of the name "machead" ... but yes, i actually got some kernel panics (funny name ) in the first few weeks when i switched. i fotographed them and thought "haha, take this, apple-steve!".
i can just say that i am no longer interested in investing time in technology. stuff has to work, reliably and without constant care.
i am hesitant when it comes to new things, i invest a lot of time in research and when i decide to try something, most of the time i pick the right things.
Quote:
what the heck is that supposed to mean? there are more VW Golfs on this planet than there are maseratis or ferraris or broncos ... is one thing better than the other?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatrinaCardway View Post
I have decided that in my next life I am not going to know anything about technology or accounting. . . I am just sure that I will be happy!
sometimes, when there's a report on TV or in a magazine about "sheperds in southern france" or "fishermen in the maritimes" i wonder what could be. sometimes i envy people like that. they're in touch with nature, they live their lives, pure and simple, no firmware updates required for the sheep, no power needed for the fishnet ... no compatibility problems when you go from one herd to the next ...

and then i think about what i would be missing. literature, design, progress, human interaction, worldwide knowledge in your handheld, mp3, divx, www, irc ...

damn. gotta put down that beer
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 04:35 PM   #45
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
Dell?