Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-20-2011, 01:51 PM   #1
richkonline
Nameless Being

Syncing from sideloaded books

Can I sync highlights and notes on books sideloaded (i.e. not purchased from Sony Store) onto a PRS T1 with the Sony Reader desktop app?

Many thanks for any help given,

Richard
Old 11-20-2011, 01:54 PM   #2
richkonline
Nameless Being

Or will Cailibre do it?

Perhaps I can use Calibre as the desktop software. Make notes and highlights on the PRS T1 on the non DRM books and then sync with Calibre and the highlights show up there. Is that possible?
Advert
Old 11-20-2011, 05:58 PM   #3
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Yes to the first one - you can annotate any document and sync it with the Reader software, regardless or origin or format.

As far as I know, notes, highlights and annotations on SONY readers will not show up in Calibre - unless something has changed recently or I am too stupid to figure it out.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:59 AM   #4
peitsao
Addict
peitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo mini, PW3,NookST
Yes, Sony is getting better with sync across devices and programs. My notes and highlights, plus reading history is saved on my T1 and my 350 (when I sync the 350 with desktop). It's not perfect, and there are some problems/bugs, but it's still better than any other system I have used, and I have tried them all. And if you strip the DRM, you can save them to a rtf file on your computer when you are done reading. If you don't strip the DRM, you can still save to file, but there is a limit to the amount of highlighted words you can save.

Another surprise I had was that when I put the same books on my mini laptop with the Sony Reader program, it remembered the last page I read on every book and asked me if I wanted to go there. Other readers and programs only do that for the books you purchased from them.

Last edited by peitsao; 11-21-2011 at 12:03 PM.
peitsao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 01:34 PM   #5
richkonline
Nameless Being

Based on that I am buying a PRS T1

Many thanks to everyone. Syncing my highlights and notes from non-sony bought non-DRM books between the PRS T1 reader annd the PC Application is exactly what I wanted. I do not believe that this is available on the Kindle or the Nook. So, one up for Sony.

So, I have just phoned the local Sony Store to hold a white T1 and black case and I will pick it up at lunch time.

The Nook and Kindle was so close.

Thanks everyone,

Richard.
Advert