Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 11-11-2019, 08:30 AM   #106
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
Agreed, Amazon decides, based on what you upload. Thus the publisher doesn't directly decide and the process is opaque and could change.

Series listings are strange too. It seems you have to contact Amazon, the KDP meta info isn't enough.

Their help texts are one thing and what they do is another.
I can tell you that the metadata PLUS the series title, is enough, but you have to be devout about it. You have to be very careful to ensure that you type those elements the same, and then it works. (And, of course, you can contact them or Author Central and get it done, too, yes, AFTER you change the meta to match what they want.)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 10:52 AM   #107
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I was careful, but the series didn't show up on book page. CS made it work and without being asked also created a "boxed set". Since then books added to several series, carefully and the series doesn't appear, nor are they added to the other pages.
I need to talk to CS again.
I didn't have to edit anything. It was all perfectly entered.
Maybe US is different to people with a UK "home" marketplace, though we are not in UK.

I don't want to post the examples as that would give away which indie publisher I do work for.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 12:08 PM   #108
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
I was careful, but the series didn't show up on book page. CS made it work and without being asked also created a "boxed set". Since then books added to several series, carefully and the series doesn't appear, nor are they added to the other pages.
I need to talk to CS again.
I didn't have to edit anything. It was all perfectly entered.
Maybe US is different to people with a UK "home" marketplace, though we are not in UK.

I don't want to post the examples as that would give away which indie publisher I do work for.
I recently walked through this with one of our publishers. He emailed Customer Service and they sent him a list of requirements, which off the top of my head, I can't recall, but I can ask him to re-send it to me, if you wish. There were 3 requirements for making books show up together as a series.

I've never seen KDP "create" a boxed set. I mean, they'll show the books in a series as being purchasable together, but unlike a boxed set, they're not physically joined and far more importantly to the buyer, there isn't a penny in savings over buying them individually. I mean...who would buy them that way? I'd rather wait and see if any of them go on sale. I find that approach, with ZERO savings for a "set" kind of insulting, myself, as a reader and buyer.

FWIW. I almost bought a set like that, once, until I realized that there weren't ANY savings and I've paid attention ever since. Really, you'd think that Amazon would either not insult us by proferring them like that, or allow indy publishers to at least put in a teeny bit of savings. SOMETHING that would make it worthwhile!

Hitch
Old 11-11-2019, 02:02 PM   #109
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
I recently walked through this with one of our publishers. He emailed Customer Service and they sent him a list of requirements, which off the top of my head, I can't recall, but I can ask him to re-send it to me, if you wish. There were 3 requirements for making books show up together as a series.
If you can PM?

Quote:
I've never seen KDP "create" a boxed set. I mean, they'll show the books in a series as being purchasable together
They must be delivered as separate books? But a single purchase click:
Quote:
Buy all 5 books for £14.39 (includes VAT)
Sold by: Amazon Media EU S.à r.l.
Yes, no saving, increase or joining(I hope). It's just to save clicks. So I suppose I can't complain? Really a boxed set of ebooks is meaningless?

Though Smashwords uses the term and they only sell ebooks, though now partner on Audiobooks. An ebook can have a link to store selling the paper version.

Except the sixth hasn't been added.
We are in the middle of repricing Sterling. Hard to decide if to price at a psychological point or let Amazon convert from US$ or convert from Euro. We use Euro. Customers in Ireland, which uses Euro, have difficulty NOT using amazon.co.uk and we see German sales, Canadian etc, but not Irish sales because that is obnoxiously part of UK marketplace. We are in Ireland.

Last edited by Quoth; 11-11-2019 at 02:04 PM.
Old 11-11-2019, 08:09 PM   #110
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

I've never seen KDP "create" a boxed set. I mean, they'll show the books in a series as being purchasable together, but unlike a boxed set, they're not physically joined and far more importantly to the buyer, there isn't a penny in savings over buying them individually. I mean...who would buy them that way? I'd rather wait and see if any of them go on sale. I find that approach, with ZERO savings for a "set" kind of insulting, myself, as a reader and buyer.

FWIW. I almost bought a set like that, once, until I realized that there weren't ANY savings and I've paid attention ever since. Really, you'd think that Amazon would either not insult us by proferring them like that, or allow indy publishers to at least put in a teeny bit of savings. SOMETHING that would make it worthwhile!

Hitch
I've noticed that on Amazon that sometimes there are box sets, the books are not available individually and the only single books are those that come after the box set in the series.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:08 PM   #111
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've noticed that on Amazon that sometimes there are box sets, the books are not available individually and the only single books are those that come after the box set in the series.
Wolfie,

If you mean bonafide real boxed sets, those are from trade publishers.

Hitch
Old 11-08-2020, 04:06 PM   #112
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Amazon's own Help pages say that they will "selectively" allow certain PR files to be purchased on eInks (like the Debbie Harry book, which was a fracking disaster, made with the Kids' Book Creator program), and all that.

Hitch
That book, which apparently got pulled from eink kindle shortly after release, is one of today's "Epic Daily Deal" offerings for $2.99 with an estimated d/l size of a few hundred megabytes. It is also labeled "Great on Kindle: A high quality digital reading experience". I'm torn whether to get it just to see if it is actually readable on e-ink.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 07:41 PM   #113
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
That book, which apparently got pulled from eink kindle shortly after release, is one of today's "Epic Daily Deal" offerings for $2.99 with an estimated d/l size of a few hundred megabytes. It is also labeled "Great on Kindle: A high quality digital reading experience". I'm torn whether to get it just to see if it is actually readable on e-ink.
I know that they said that they reformatted it. I was asked by the agent for Harry to help with input on the problem (it was made using Kindle Kids' Book Creator, BTW). I gave them some feedback and they said that they reformatted it, but AFAIK, it's still fixed-layout, not reflow. I'd suggested to them that FXL was not the smart way to go.

But that's done by a trade publisher and y'know...sometimes, you just can't tell people what they don't want to hear. They wanted it live; they'd screwed the pooch on it and they were in a rush. If naught else, FXL using the Amazon DIY software is fast and easy.

Hitch
Old 11-08-2020, 09:08 PM   #114
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
I know that they said that they reformatted it. I was asked by the agent for Harry to help with input on the problem (it was made using Kindle Kids' Book Creator, BTW). I gave them some feedback and they said that they reformatted it, but AFAIK, it's still fixed-layout, not reflow. I'd suggested to them that FXL was not the smart way to go.

But that's done by a trade publisher and y'know...sometimes, you just can't tell people what they don't want to hear. They wanted it live; they'd screwed the pooch on it and they were in a rush. If naught else, FXL using the Amazon DIY software is fast and easy.

Hitch
Thanks.

FWIW, it is downloadable for USB transfer, the delivered file extension is azw3, the font size is changeable, and it is reflowable. The file size is only 15MB.

I don't know if K4x, tablets, etc get stuck with fixed layout.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 01:11 AM   #115
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Thanks.

FWIW, it is downloadable for USB transfer, the delivered file extension is azw3, the font size is changeable, and it is reflowable. The file size is only 15MB.

I don't know if K4x, tablets, etc get stuck with fixed layout.
Damn, that means that they changed it, again. I know for a fact that the replacement file that they uploaded was fixed-layout, made with KC.

Fascinating, eh?

They took down nearly 30 scathing reviews of how crappy the Kindle eBook was. Removed them entirely. No excuses, rationalizations, nothing. Must be nice to be a pop star!

Hitch
Old 11-09-2020, 11:45 AM   #116
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Sex, drugs and Rock and Roll?

Meh.

And like books, actually making a real living out of Pop music is a lottery. I've some friends that are great musicians. They've never made it big. Reminds me of the old Dr Hook song.

Well, at least the publisher eventually gave in to reality. Real ebooks need to flow. Anything else is a print replica for 10" or larger tablets, or an electronic printer's proof copy.
Old 11-09-2020, 01:11 PM   #117
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Sex, drugs and Rock and Roll?

Meh.

And like books, actually making a real living out of Pop music is a lottery. I've some friends that are great musicians. They've never made it big. Reminds me of the old Dr Hook song.

Well, at least the publisher eventually gave in to reality. Real ebooks need to flow. Anything else is a print replica for 10" or larger tablets, or an electronic printer's proof copy.
Yup. I have an acquaintance, from "the old days" who has an 8-octave range. Think he's been discovered? Not in this lifetime. He has power and control and lovely harmonics. Too bad, so sad.

Hitch